Back in the saddle again

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by In Tampa, May 21, 2018.

1. In Tampa

In Tampa Member

As my name says, I am in Tampa Fla. and getting back into playing after a long hiatus. Picked up a used Squire Strat to practice with. It's ok but we haven't really bonded. That's not because I dislike Strats but because I didn't look too deeply at it before I bought it so it doesn't play as well as I would like.
    Which brings me to why I am here. Back in the day I used to have an SG type guitar and really liked it so I came here looking for ideas before making a purchase. Well, I pulled the trigger on a 2017 SG Special in Satin Vintage Sunburst with P90 pickups. I have no pics as it will arrive 5-23-2018, in two days. I hope to formally introduce her here as soon as she arrives. Looking forward to learn and grow as an SG owner and a musician. :cool:

rotorhead and Roca like this.
  2. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Guitars do not have gender or names. They are tools for making music. Let us know how your new tool performs for you.

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

Let me congratulate you on an excellent choice of guitar.
    This forum is full of individuals, and many of us disagree about one thing or another
    but we mostly manage to do this without rancor or disrespect. That's why I come
    back anyway. I like to read what others have to say, on various topics. I already
    know about my own opinion. *grins

SG with P-90s has a rich palate of classic tones. So does the chimey Strat sound of course,
    and both can be adapted to many styles or genres. That's why I think of them as
    excellent choices. They don't limit your style, they open the door for your music
    to go through into other rooms, if you dare.

I wouldn't give up on the Strat either. I'd take it to the best luthier you can find
    and get it set up professionally. AFTER you get your new Gibson set up of course.
    Good setup is crucial, and can make or break your guitar experience.

We'll want to see pictures, we always love those. And I'll be interested in what
    name suggests itself. I name all my instruments, after playing them for a while.
    To me, guitars can be as organic and can have as much personality as the music
    that's played on them.

In Tampa likes this.
  4. In Tampa

In Tampa Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I agree on the opinions, everyone has one. I have ventured into a few of the different forums here. I'm glad to see it is varied and not stifling. It's a diverse world out there.

I hope to post my small "family" as soon as I get the new arrival which hopefully will be tomorrow. I too love to see all the customized guitars and the color schemes.

5. In Tampa

In Tampa Member

Will do as soon as I take her out for a spin. :naughty:

SG standard likes this.
  6. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Welcome! I definitely agree, a good setup can make it feel like a different instrument.

7. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

I got my squire strat set up prepwrly for heavier strings, adjusted the bridge and and nut night, shaved and lubed the nut slots(no pun intended), adjusted pickup height and resoldered the neck pick up as it had come undone.

I got it for 40$ and with a proper set up this could contend tonally with any other guitar, I will say some locking tuners would be a good idea.
    As for naming an instrument, I think the name should come to you out of the blue as you play it- its a surreal thing if it makes a name for itself. No Lucilles, I mean whatever comes not your mind and just tells you thats what the instrument is called. No need to set out trying to place a label on it, it has a mind of its own.

In Tampa likes this.
  8. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

And as Joe Walsh would say, "If you wan't to name your guitar, that's fine too".

In Tampa likes this.
  9. Roca

Roca Active Member

Betty.

10. Roca

Roca Active Member

Every time I look at her I hear Ram Jam "Black Betty" in my head.

In Tampa likes this.
  11. In Tampa

In Tampa Member

Great song!

12. In Tampa

In Tampa Member

Kinda like that car, what was the name of it? Betsy?

Layne Matz likes this.
  13. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Christine? From the Stephen king book?

In Tampa likes this.
  14. In Tampa

In Tampa Member

Yes that's was it.

15. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG. Great community to tap into, so bring your questions and discussions into the group