Batwing vs non-batwing - school me...

TDA1966

Reaction score
I'm far enough along in the game not to be foolish enough to believe an ABR-1 is an "upgrade". We don't care about which styles you find more "sexy". You've actually proven yourself to be the newbie around here time and time again.

gervase bucktrout

Reaction score
I believe the larger pickguard, the one that surrounds the pickups, is called the batwing. the smaller one is just called the small pickguard.
That is the best explained yet most succinct answer I have read for that simple question.

AC 30

Reaction score
I totally prefer the Batwing for me but really like both.
I think it is a matter of preference. Any SG I've played is one up on most
guitars - regardless of pickguard shape.

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
I’ve had versions of both.
Trying to change pickup angles is a pain.
I just run ‘em how they come. They all sound fine to me.
Prefer bigger necks and 490’s, so cheaper works fine too.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Batwings in the belfry.

Thicker rounded necks and a more substantial neck joint are usually included with a batwing equipped SG.

A fat 50’s LP neck profile attached to an SG is where it’s at.

Last edited:

AC 30

Reaction score
After playing my SG Classic (and what a great guitar those are) - the SG Standard Batwing is certainly a more subtle feel than going from a Classic to the 61.
I guess the slightly beefier neck is most friendly for me. My buddy's got a 61 and loves it...thinks my Classics neck has too much neck.
At least I don't have to worry about him stealing it.:D

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I have a 2004 and 2006 SG Classic.
Been my favorite guitars for some time. Had a custom built SG made recently with really beefy neck and now the SG Classics feel like a Slim Taper neck by comparison.

Also been playing a custom shop LP Special with a monster 50's neck that I really like. Every time I get another guitar with a fatter rounder neck, it ruins it for all my other guitars.

If the SG Classics had a wraparound lightning bar bridge instead of the TOM and stop bar tailpiece and had more shoulder on the neck, especially at the 1st fret, they would be the most ideal SG ever produced.

full

papagayo

Reaction score
Ebony Stain? CG' s SG Classic look black to me.

jtees4

Reaction score
I have owned many SG's. I like them all, some more than others...but never because of the pickguard. Just the individual feel and sound of an individual guitar. Sure, if I am working on a guitars wiring, it's nice to not have to remove the entire guard etc. to work on the electronics...but not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Latest posts