BBE Sonic Maximizer (Pedal)

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Laney1566, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Hey guys.
    I went to guitar center today looking for a sonic maximizer pedal and got one.
    Let me start by saying that I thought I had a really good sound already.
    SG's with 498T's and a Strat with Dimarzio humbuckers as well as the Carvin Legacy amp. I have gone out of my way to find quality pedals and my checkbook is witness to this. Xotic RC, AC, BB as well as Fulltone pedals, MXR, Electro Harmonix and Boss (CE20 chorus). Most being true bypass.
    The only reason I shelled out the money for the BBE was due to the reviews. I had to hear for myself what all the hype was about. WELL..........
    I set both controls at 12 o'clock. Connected it into my effects loop and began playing a with my fulldrive2 on (no boost). I stomped on the BBE and was blown away by the increased clarity and brighter tone that it gave. I ran it with my heavy distortion pedals (Digitech Metal Master and Electro Harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost) and same thing. The clarity it allows even when heavilly distorted is amazing. Just for kicks I stomped on my RC Booster and almost made it to the moon. (Dam Roof). ;)
    It's hard to say how much money is worth these slight improvements, but for me, the 89.00 I spent was worth it. Typical pedal cost anyway. they knocked off 10.00 because I bought the BBE Boosta Grande at the same time.
    For what it is worth......I recommend it strongly

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Yep, it's good secret weapon. I have mine for over a year.....Highly recommended. O0

[img width=640 height=480]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/jabel54/Gear/NewPedalboard.jpg[/img]

3. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Yeah I need to get a current pic of my pedalboard, but I need to vacuum it first. Dam velcro attracts everything :D

4. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Those things used to be rack mount only.
    They were great for my bass guitar and really added a pleasing tone.

Now I'll have to look at these pedal versions.

5. Willy

Willy New Member

Agreed. I just picked one up last month. I debated for some time about if I should get one. It definitely has a clarifying effect. It looks like this will likely be a keeper!

Willy

6. Rafael

Rafael Member

Never tried one but have heard very positive reviews from a lot of folks that have. The most common description of its function is as if lifting a blanket off your amp.

7. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

That would seem a accurate description. 8)

8. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

so, do you keep that on at all times? id think, right? i never really saw or heard these...

9. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

I used to use it as kind a treble boost, but I finally decided to turn it on and adjust my amp and pedals accordingly. Now I run it all the time...In the loop.

10. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

In 2006 I wrote a review of the Sonic Stomp, and tried to figure out how it works, based on the chip inside:
    http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=7026.0

For a while, I used this box in the effects loop that was installed in my Valvetronix AD50VT, but it worked better just before the guitar input. That's how I use it now, as the last pedal before the amp, such as the Orange Tiny Terror (which has no effects loop). I leave it on all the time. Maybe every month or so I turn it off, just for a test. I always find that I like it better on, especially for cleanish tones.

11. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

I use Sonic Maximizers for electronic drums & keyboard, however for guitar, I like the Aphex Guitar Exciter a little better.

12. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

The only review I found that was bad on this pedal is from a metalhead using EMG pickups.
    I can understand his way overdriven sound got a little icepicky and he spent no time to adjust and dial it in.

So just because the Weasel uses one, I got one in that mail today. $69.95 delivered brand new.
    I was surprised it even came with a battery inside and the wall wart too.

I'll test it out tonight when I get home.

13. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Hey Spunky....
    Enjoy!!!
    I will never get rid of mine and if it breaks I will replace it.

14. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

So far so good Laney1566.
    I notice if there is any buzz from the system the BBE makes it louder.
    So I back off the volume a little and get the Tele with the Bill Lawrence Keystones to zero buzz.
    Play some and kick in the BBE. No added buzz but a cleaner yet juicier sound that your fingers like to play with. I'm a crappy guitarist but I've been playing long enough to where I have great tone. Fingers are just slow from injuries. So I can get more juicy phrasing with this like I used to get on my bass back in the day.
    I tried my SG that has the Good Wood set in it and same thing. A little juicier harmonics to play with.

I think that is the difference, the pedal fixes the input so the output from the speaker contains the harmonics and sub-harmonics that are partially lost due to the speaker design. These are the ear pleasing harmonics that we like to play with and refer to a juice and the juice is what tone is all about.
    Or I could be full of sh$t and not have a clue about what I'm talking about.....LOL

It is definitely more fun to use though. I think it will do better with a tube amp. I'm using it with a Line 6 Flextone XL which is a modeling amp and already does a great job. It is not quite the blanket on or blanket off analogy (no reference to M. Jackson's Son) but rather does enhance certain frequencies that are pleasing to the ear. I have mine set at 7 contour and almost to 6 process. Where do you run yours?

15. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Mine are both set around 1 o'clock.
    I use mine on a tube amp and it really makes the difference. I do run it in the loop. It seems happy there. :)

16. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

OK I understand 1 oclock to be 7 on the dial....roger that. Same as I am running!

17. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Pacific Time Zone ;)

18. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Zulu +8 Sir