Beat up Vintage SG ... any ideas as to what it is?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Luthienxo, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Luthienxo

Luthienxo New Member

So, here's a few pics of a garage sale find. I picked this up in a garage sale for $200. I don't care about the value, as I know, it's been pretty beat up... I am just trying to figure out what it is... since the switches have some static in them and need to be replaced. it has a couple peculiar touches to it.

Tracing the serial gives me: Your guitar was made at the
    Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972. The serial reads 640125, stamped into the headstock.

Clearly the original finish is gone. The stickers add a nice rock touch... well, it gives this piece character at least. LOL. She plays like a dream. The bridge plate is the curious piece to me. I can't seem to find anything like it. The knobs and switches appear to be those from an SG 200; but the pickups would say different. And the original pick guard is non-existent. I'd like to replace at least that much. The tuners have been replaced with grovers.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG Luthienxo! :) :) :)

Obviously a used piece............ but very interesting. The serial number hunt is right and the knob panel and offset pup are equally interesting. Changed tuners.......... As long as it plays well, you may have a gem there.

3. Drazden

Drazden New Member

Looks like an "SG II" to me, thanks to the control plate. Pickups were probably changed out... but for period-correct ones, though, with the 'Gibson' logo stamped on the top.

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

It looks like a SG-250 to me with the headstock on this one finished like the SG-1 in the catalog pic. Pickups would be swapped and pickguard is missing. Frankly I think I would like the guitar better as is. 8)