Beginners songs/etc

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by b0rn_l33t, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Griz

Griz Member

I've gone full circle.  I've started going to a session guitarist that I got to know for weekly lessons, well more lick Jams with advice thrown in.  He advised me to buy an acoustic again because I had become lazy and my fingers needed strengthening again.  I blame the SG low action

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

Put twelves on your SG - it'll be cheaper...........

Wound third too - nice!

3. Griz

Griz Member

I put a strat up for sale and bought a Taylor Big Baby, the action is nearly as low and it uses 10s ;)

4. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

I've pretty much done the same thing, Griz. About two months ago, I went back to lessons again for the first time in about three years, and it's the first time I've taken steady lessons for more than a month since 1986. I tell ya, I wish I had studied harder earlier in life, as I'd be about a thousand times the player today, but we all probably wish we did a few things differently. Never too late though, as just a mere few months of serious practice has vastly improved my playing (I think you tend to stagnate as a player when you don't have some kind of scales/chords/studies practice routine).

It's funny going through open chord progressions again after playing for 25 years (I've always been lousy with them), but it's also exciting to see my playing improve each day and getting into theory (which I never did before, just played). I guess it just shows that no matter how long you've been playing, it's never too late to start taking it seriously. My teacher is a fantastic player and a great guy, and I haven't enjoyed playing this much in a long, long time. Over the past five years, with the wife and house and kids and working from five in the morning until five or six at night, there were times that I wouldn't pick up my guitar and turn on the gear for six months at a stretch. Since taking up lessons again, I play & practice every day, usually for an hour or two at the very least. It's been great to rediscover that love of the guitar again, and satisfying to be working towards becoming a better and more complete player after all these years. I'm also hoping it will be a good example for my boys, helping them to keep at it better than I did once they begin lessons.

5. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Griz, the Taylor Big Baby is a surprisingly great sounding high quality guitar! Did you get the standard or mahogany version? I found it was most inspiring, and really only seemed to lack lower and some midlower depth, but not real noticeable for many/most applications. I'd rather play that at a gig than many full sized guitars! Is it full scale or close to it?

GC had their own Mahogany models which I think I would prefer. But either way, talk about a great acoustic that truly sounds excellent and at a remarkable price!
    O0

6. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

another good one is Outise woman blues by Cream!

7. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

[quote author=If You Want Blood link=topic=7029.msg88735#msg88735 date=1140999246]
    Highway to Hell- DC

i could always make you some instructional videos if you want ;)
    [/quote]
    id like some instructional videos for highway to hell :)

8. 1Way

1Way Active Member

What's cool is, the main riff and the chords are pretty basic stuff, not real hard to learn if you can give it the right feel/tempo. If you get the several main parts down, you pretty much get the entire song. I might be able to help you out, but I'm very tied down right now. (moving, ugh) YouTube has some good video examples, mine not being the most accurate but I play all the way thru it. Another guy does great doing the main part in his basement I think. Also if you google for guitar tab, focus on the main riff, then the repeating rhythm parts. I bet someone could do a video of that teaching the main parts. Anyway, best of luck!

9. If You Want Blood

If You Want Blood Active Member

[quote author=walter19882003 link=topic=7029.msg148340#msg148340 date=1165346246]
    id like some instructional videos for highway to hell :)
    [/quote]

WOAH that was a long time ago! March 06.... :p

I kinda busy currently but I'll work on it. ;)

10. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

woa was it? woops, i really gotta get a grip on forums :)

ah should get a grip in a few days. cheers ifyouwantblood, much appreciated.

11. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=If You Want Blood link=topic=7029.msg148427#msg148427 date=1165373089]
    WOAH that was a long time ago! March 06.... :p

I kinda busy currently but I'll work on it. ;)
    [/quote]
    The first post on this page (mine) was posted in March, but walter19882003's post requesting help was posted recently (Dec 06).

I would love to see a demo of that song Blood! I know I mess it up in some places, and I'm not sure about how to play it right in others. Looking forward to some IYWB in action! ;)
    :rockin: