Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz mini review

Discussion in 'Effects' started by sneakerpimp, Jun 5, 2013.

1. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[​IMG]

this thing is awesome… sounds just like my FZ-2 did. other than the super el cheapo plastic housing, it seems to be well built with dampened pots and solid switch, which are plastic as well.

the pedal is quiet by itself but noisy stacked.

this is truly 3 pedals in one.

Fuzz 1 of course is a mega-middy Super Fuzz close, but based on the BOSS clone which is not so fuzz-like (think less fizz and more boom)… perfect for Sabbath and doom.

Fuzz 2 clones the Shin-Ei FY-2, which is also accurate: scooped, compressed and very dirty… perfect for The Jesus & Mary Chain and other noise rock.

Boost is great. i can't tell if it actually colors my tone but it works as well as my EP Booster did: pushed overdrive sounds really good. Perfect for "Rumble" by Link Wray and other classic rock.

2. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

What, no clips?

3. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

arrrghh lol… i'm just another hack with a gear obsession so no clips of my shittay playing… ever. i play wearing monitors these days and can attest what *others* have posted on youtube is accurate.

Alex_SG likes this.
  4. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I've seen various reviews on this pedal in the past. I'm impressed and I definitely plan to get one when I see a sale. I think this pedal is a must have.;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP2anSckHps]Behringer super fuzz demo - YouTube[/ame]

5. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Maybe it's just the quality of the recording of this clip, but this sounds like a really bad fuzz pedal. If you want some decent fuzz, get a EH big box fuzz and mod it back to the original fuzz specs. From what I'm told, this a relatively simple process and really improves the tone of pedal.

6. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

the SF300 clones the Univox Super Fuzz and the Shin-ei FY-2, NOT the Muff... if u want a muff then get a muff.

Alex_SG likes this.
  7. BlackSG91

He or she has the treble cranked all the way up in the video. That's why it probably sounds like a buzzsaw. I would put the treble down a lot more and the other controls have their own variables also. I saw another clip that I can't find at the moment that had a real good distortion sound coming out of this pedal. I find it versatile in fuzz & distortion tones. It probably takes a while until you can dial in the sound that you want, but it should be there. And I think this pedal is under $50? I don't think you can go wrong with this and it's not breaking the bank. I think it's worth it.:hmm:

8. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

I had a Behringer pedal once. It lasted a two weeks before it stopped working.

9. BlackSG91

Maybe you wore out the battery.:hmm:;) If I end up getting one, I hope the same thing doesn't happen, but then again the store has a money-back guarantee or something of that nature.

10. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Nope, the battery was fine. The pedal just stopped working. Think I plugged it in 2-3 times, used it for maybe 10-15 mins. tops.

11. BlackSG91

Hopefully it was just a lemon. Did you open it up to take a look see? Or did you bring it back to the store for a refund/repair?:dunno:

12. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

I got it off eBay NIB for $20. When it died, I just wrote it off and put Behringer on my perma-sh*tlist. :)

13. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

i've busted BOSS's, etc, i won't condemn a brand on one purchase. Behringers are $25 all day everywhere and i will be getting another SF300 if this one fries.

like i stated, the pedal is quiet. i've mentioned elsewhere i mostly wear headphones so i can tell this pedal sounds good. i would not have wasted time/money on a cheap pedal if i knew it may not deliver; my purchased was based on other youtube demos that were much more accurate.

14. BlackSG91

That's too bad, but as SP mentioned, don't judge just the one purchase. I still think it's worth the buy, especially for $25? That's better than $50 for a pedal!;)

15. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I now have 3 Behringers, and I know happy_tom has a few as well.
    So far none of mine have given me any problems, and I use them a LOT... The oldest one is a chromatic tuner (TU300) that I've had for about 3 years now, that is used at least 4 or 5 times every time I pick up a guitar, which is virtually every day. (I don't have different guitars in different tunings... If I need to change a tuning, I do it on the guitar I'm playing on at the time.)
    I've had a SF300 Fuzz now for about a year to 18 months, and it is still as good as the day it was bought. And that gets lots of use too.
    My TM300 Tube Amp Modeler is only a couple of weeks old, and it's getting a heap of use, with no sign of any problems.
    Sorry Gemini75, but you probably got a dud. I've bought so-called good quality pedals that have not lasted as long as these Behringers... Don't let one bad experience completely put you off.
    I'm in the same mind as sneakerpimp. If they fry, I'll happily replace them. at between $20 and $40 each, they are a no-brainer...
    Bang for buck, they are brilliant pedals! And I know quite a few members here will back me up on that too.

[​IMG]

peter taft and BlackSG91 like this.
  16. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

True, my Superfuzz and TO 800 pedals have seen over 3 years of HEAVY use, with batteries and for the past year an adapter, and they work like the day I bought them (and the t0800 was bought used)...
    No noisy pots, nothing fell of yet, but I made a pedal board to keep the wear down.

If they made a decent RAT copy I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but they dont. Except DM100, which i didn't like quite as much as their fuzzes and overdrives. And rat ain't that expensive to begin with.

Behringer does make their own higher quality clone of a big muff: steel housnig, true bypass and all; it's good but a new one costs more than a used USA muff, so not such a good deal...

The one of three Behringers I own and that I'm not so impressed is the TU 300 floor tuner: it has a few problems picking up the lower strings, not to mention bass guitars. But it's still quicker to use that for a quick mid-set tune up than switching the amp off off, plugging out and into the tuner and back etc... :dunno:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  17. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Agreed. Like you said though, it's better than having to switch off, plug in etc. It probably isn't as accurate as it should be, but if I want accuracy, I'll get my wife (who has perfect pitch) to help me tune up! :naughty:

18. Maggotbrain

Maggotbrain New Member

I love this pedal! :thumb:
    Because of the treble/bass eq in combination with the gain knob it is quite versatile.
    I do not find it difficult to dial in lots of nice and usable settings.

And at least on my unit I have 4(!) settings.
    Fuzz 1, Fuzz 1.5, Fuzz 2 and Boost.

Fuzz 1.5:

If I put the switch just between Fuzz 1 and Fuzz 2 I get a combination of 1+2.
    The raspier Fuzz 1 + the fizzier Fuzz 2 underneath.
    Please check your pedals too!

sneakerpimp likes this.
  19. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

wow 1.5 i'll check it out... never even thought of trying that... never read of that either and i've looked around plenty before purchasing this pedal.

20. Maggotbrain

Maggotbrain New Member

Sneakerpimp have you checked your Superfuzz for the hidden fuzz setting?