Belated NAD, sort of -Strymon Iridium-

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Dadou, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I haven't posted on these boards in a while and thought about giving you guys a heads up on one of my recent (pre-Covid 19 lockdown) purchases: a Strymon Iridium.

Having somewhat recently got a job in the big city and moved in a small yet extremely high-rent apartment in the city center, I can't really play my tube amp (Blackstar HT-20) anymore. The thing takes up too much space and is just too loud, even at "bedroom level".
    I was fortunate enough to travel quite a bit for my studies, which means that I' ve been playing with my guitar plugged into my laptop for years now -heck, I' ve actually spent more hours playing through Logic's amp emulations than through the amp itself!-.

Long story short, I've been toying with the idea of creating a sort of compact desktop/home studio: a desk, my laptop, my audio interface, maybe a couple of monitors/headphones, a couple of mics for when I play acoustic, and.... that' s it really. A setup that yields good sonic results but takes up little more space than just a desk.
    So with that in mind, I came across this device which is essentially an amp in a pedal format.
    You can either hook it up straight to your audio interface/mixer/PA system (for live situations), use it as a proper head and connect it to a cabinet or just plug your headphones into it.

I' m not going to go into the details of the device, since there' s plenty of info available, but really, if you' re in a similar situation where you can' t use an amp, and even a THR-10 is too loud- I can highly recommend the Iridium.

Biddlin likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Pics and a demo would be much appreciated. Seems like a mighty expensive headphone/pre-amp to the casual viewer.

3. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Hey Biddlin, I haven't got around to recording a demo yet, but here's a guy who's become a reference in the "Iridium world":

Here is a picture of my Iridium with an Ibanez SC10 (Boss-sized pedal) next to it for perspective:

20200609_180122.jpg

It certainly isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it is very convenient if, like me, you don't have the room for an amp and can't make noise (neighbors, babies...). It takes pedals like a real amp and it can also be plugged in to the venue's PA system, so that's also added flexibility, if you want to dial in your tones at home for practicing and then just plug right in at the venue.