Best cheap Epi SG base for future upgrades? (Early Sabbath sound)

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by GuitarGarrett, Apr 25, 2020.

1. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Hi friends,

I appreciate all the responses to my last post about the Tony Iommi SG, it’s really helping me narrow down what to get - this will be my first electric guitar since selling mine 10 years ago.

I’ve realized that 800 bucks might be too high for my budget atm, so I’m lookin at SGs ~300 that will sound good for awhile and will make a good base for upgrades when I can afford them.

As a huge Sabbath fan (especially the first 3 albums), I’m lookin at this Epi SG that comes with p90s and hope to upgrade those to Gibson-made ASAP
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGS9CWCHNH--epiphone-sg-classic-worn-p-90s-worn-cherry

What do y’all think?

Biddlin likes this.
  2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Yup, that will fit the bill nicely. Personally I like the faded finishes on the epiphones, you can see you got good wood there and you don’t get the sticky finish of the poly that some of the epiphones have. Some folks are more sensitive than others on that sticky finish, but almost everyone loves the faded necks.

Also, the new epiphones (apparently) have really good electronics and pick ups. So run them for a month or two and decide if you even need to change them. I have some really nice Gibson SG’s with a variety of pickups, ranging from 20 year old 57 classics, 57 classic plus’s and Pearly Gates. They are all different, but I love them all.

Recently I have been GASING for a Gibson ES335. But I don’t want to part with anything and my wife will bury me in the yes if I spend 3k on “another” guitar right now. So you know what, I did my research on Epiphone Sheratons. I opted for a 2001 Epi Sheraton MIK (made in Korea). Really impressed with the build quality. They say the only down side to the older epiphones is the electronics. Well, it plays great for me. If your jammin in bars and rockin our in your basement the epi electronics will do more than an adequate job. And the new Epiphones are equipped with excellent pickups and electronics, so I wouldn’t fret, and I wouldn’t rush out to change them.

I will take a look for a good Epi SG review, but below I will post one of my favorite Epi reviews in regards to their recent quality and electronic components. Also, he isn’t the worst player, or entertainer for that matter.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    GuitarGarrett likes this.
  3. pancake81

If you have never seen this, sit back and enjoy the show :)

TChalms and GuitarGarrett like this.
  4. pancake81

Here you go my friend, Trogly gives you a full rig run down

5. pancake81

Maybe toss one of these on with some new knobs for a little nod to Mr Iommi. Could even swap to a small pickguard if you dig the look.

you could could have a great Iommi SG in your hands in no time. And, most important, enjoy putting it all together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  6. pancake81

Also,, not to muddy your waters further. But this seems right up your alley..

Well.... I think I have done enough damage here. Should probably get some rest while you rock yourself to sleep after absorbing all of this. Welcome to our messed up world.....

7. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

I'm really liking my Epi SG Classic.

8. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

alitolga and GuitarGarrett like this.
  10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The Epi P-90 Classic is the goods. I wouldn't change a thing. You are essentially getting a Gibson SG Classic for 1/3 the price.

11. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Ok y’all have convinced me, I’m going for the Epi p90 classic...now for the amp...my budget is about the same (~300) so I was thinking the orange micro dark + the small cabinet they make. I don’t need anything big cus I live in an apartment and don’t plan on playing any shows soon. Is this the best bang for the buck in terms of getting that early sabbath tone?
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-dark-stack-20-watt-head-and-1x8-inch-cabinet

12. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Congrats! FYI, when I read your other thread I did some research into finding those replacement Gibson Iommi Signature Pickups for sale and had a terrible time finding them anywhere, new or used. I found one place selling one on reverb.com for $250 used...he says it was never installed and still has the original packaging but that still makes it second hand for $250...ouch! I don't know if the poor supply is a temporary situation or if Gibson has phased them out of production. Anyone know for sure?

That said, I'd focus on whatever you need to do to get the early Sabbath sound you're looking for out of those P90's, I'm sure the right amp would go a long way to getting you there...best of luck :dude:

13. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Thanks man! I really wish I could afford the TI Signature rn, but I just won’t have the budget for awhile, and I want to start playing ASAP since I don’t even have an electric guitar atm haha

WytchCrypt likes this.
  14. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

A 1X8" cab will not get you enough meat to get where you aim at.
    I had a Micro Terror I played through a 1X12" cab and sold it a few months after I got it. I found it to be a one trick pony. If it's not exactly your pony, well ... I don't know the Dark Micro, but I'd be tempted to say the same of it.

I think you should get a modeling amp, a Katana or some Marshall. They usually cover high gain territory pretty well. I sold my Katana 100 because that's what I found it was good for. High gain and cleans, the in-between wasn't so good and that's where I play.

You'll get tons of advice on this, good luck making up your mind on the amp. :hmm:

WytchCrypt and GuitarGarrett like this.
  15. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Okay, thanks, my friend said the same thing about 8 inch speakers...problem with modeling amps tho is I don’t have a good computer/monitor/speaker/headphone setup and don’t want to spend the money on one.
    Should I just get a 12inch solid state combo amp then? I was going for the Micro dark cus I figured the tube would add some vintage quality, but maybe at this price range, solid state is the way to go?

16. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

I think a modeling combo amp would be a great option - and flexible enough to provide non-Sabbath tones as well - though I don't know what's out there these days in the ~$300 price range. I run my Iommi through an old Line6 PodXTLive and the Dual Rectifier Treadplate model gives me a great Iommi/doom sound ;)

17. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

18. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

For $300 you're better off staying away from tube amps, unless you find one used. Modelling amps are probably your best bet, you don't need a computer but it will help you get the best out of them. A simple laptop is all that's needed, and usually once you've set the amp up the way you like you never need to hook it up to the computer again.

The Katana is a good recommendation and I would add the Yamaha THR, if you're just playing at home they're really great in terms of sound and functionality. And third option, maybe the Marshall Code 50?

19. GuitarGarrett

GuitarGarrett New Member

Thanks, I’ve been looking at the Marshall Code 50s and Katanas. I used to have a VoxAC15, 10 years ago, so I grew to really love the tube sound. I’m just worried the modeling amps will sound too artificial. Wish I could go to GC to try them out but covid has everything shut down...
    I’ve basically narrowed down my choice between a Marshall Code 50 and the Orange Micro Dark + a used 1x12 cab...

20. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Modelling amps have come a long way and can sound really good. In my experience few offer excellent models of everything, and the reviews on the Code series state that they model various Marshall amps quite well. A classic Marshall tone isn't very far away from the sound of Iommi's Laneys.

If you can save a bit more I would highly recommend a real Laney, the Cub 12R is a great sounding little amp, 15w EL84 with a separate >1w input for quieter playing or pushing the output valves hard at lower volumes. It can still get pretty loud at >1w if you want. Mine did a great Sabbath sound with a boost pedal in front. I think they're around $550 over there.