"Best" Chinese Gibson Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Col Mustard, Nov 6, 2014.

1. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

O.K. so further.....I emailed one of these folks about an Explorer style guitar ---which they call a Firebird----something lost in translation? Anyway I asked (as the prices shown where for 6 or more pcs.) how much 1 "sample" guitar would be......my response from "Wendy" --yeah right--
    Glad to receive your inquiry about SNEG009-1 Firebird guitar.

Of course you can purchase 1 for sample.We have many colors for your choice,enclosed you will find the color sheet,you can choose the color you like.

To protect the guitar well when shipping,it comes with a hard case.The total cost for 1 piece to you is USD353.85.

We have different price for different quantity.The more you order,the lower the price is.

Any idea or question,please feel free to email me.

Best regards,

Now I gues that is a good price for a firebird(Explorer) copy with hard case. However I can get a Silverburst Epi special version on ebay for the same price.....legally morally and all that rot......

Epiphone Limited Edition Brendon Small Thunderhorse Explorer Electric Guitar | eBay

Col Mustard likes this.
  2. Mass debate

Mass debate Member

To each his own but I don't care how good these replicas and how cheap they are but I will never support a crime ring that especializes in this practice. Plus the feeling of owning the real deal imho is...priceless!

Col Mustard and SG John like this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

If you pay taxes you support a crime ring......oooh did I say that out loud?

NSA I didn't mean YOU exactly.....it was a generalization of all things political....er wait....shovel, digging digging.....yep I .............just get deeper and deeper .....hold on somebody is at the door, I'll be rioianjrbiobnfnb l/................

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I had the Gibson version, 1 of 400, ebony board. Great guitar, it was my main gigging guitar for a couple years..
    [​IMG]

Col Mustard, SG John and eS.G. like this.
  5. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Col Mustard and Karathas like this.
  6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Diggin the bell bottoms and Hustler T. Well appointed as always :thumb:

Karathas likes this.
  7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

8. tpa

tpa Active Member

Besides the political observations some feelings are probably also involved in this topic. One aspect about "foreign" made guitars is that it kind of degenerates the electric (or whatever) guitar from having man-made magic dating back to beginning of history (of rythmic music) to being something as unmagic as an industrial product. I have stringed instruments MIA MIM MIJ and MII and what makes any of them anything to me is that I like to play them. I would never buy a fraud guitar, though - e.g. a guitar claimed to be something it isn't.

Col Mustard, Karathas and Alex_SG like this.
  9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

tpa an angle on your statement "one respect about "foreign" made guitars"......is that not all "relative" to your country of origin. Seems folks tend to be "partriotizing" American made guitars only however if you are from Indonesia, China, Korea then the Patriotic guitar would be the Epiphone or whatever guitar is made there would it not?

Just seems simple don't buy counterfeits.....but if these folks are carrying Epi's out the back door and re branding them "Bobs Customs" or Xio's Wonders then go for it! ?

I bought an American product at an AMERICAN Motorcycle Mfct. Showroom Store........and LOOK!

[​IMG]

Reality is our global economy has gotten so intertwined it is hard to know what is from where really.......and I would bet my eye tooth that a member on this very forum has purchased, unknowingly a counterfeit though they may not even know it .......Hell as many as I buy and I sell I would wager one has passed through my hands, either through ownership or playing at a store/pawn shop.

This was a totally unhelpful post wasn't it.....sorry

Alex_SG likes this.
  10. tpa

tpa Active Member

To me all the mass produced guitars are foreign. Thus the quotes. In broad senses I consider the music I like to listen to and play an exponent of american history and culture. So I prefer american branded guitars. These are my emotions, at least. Geographically my MIM Fender is also american - just not one of the United States ;-) Not unlike one of my early guitar heros. If I had unlimited funds all my guitars would be the best of the line, but where I live we (roughly speaking) pay the the same for a good Squier (e.g. Classic vibe) as you pay for the cheapest US made Fender. This price policy sucks. The "decline" is not new but a step on the path starting with Japanese copies in the 70s followed by Fender, Ovation and others having Fender and Ovation guitars manufactured in Japan, Epiphone becoming Gibsons budget line etc. etc. So one could say that the guitar making companies have developed this mess. What if they had not? Well many of them would probably be closed now.

It really burned on behalf of the people involved when I heard about the Ovation factory in Connecticut closing down. On the background that I personally prefer to work a place where physical production takes place. Rather than a place which outsources engineering to India and production to Poland or China.

One day I will be gone and so that way of thinking. That day - or even before - my work position will be taken over by someone who cost less. We live in a dynamic comsumption driven profit funded global society. Take it or leave it. Communism didn't seem to do much better where they had that.

If this were a music association thread, what would the next post propose? George Harrison "Material World", Don McLean "American Pie" or Who "Wont get fooled again"?

You think can think with your wallet but you can't feel with it.

Col Mustard likes this.
  11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Ah, good points my friend, but its a "chicken and egg" sort of thing.

"So one could say that the guitar making companies have developed this mess."

Did they? OR did we? "WE" being the guitar buying public.....by wanting and voting with our wallets to purchase more and more of the "low end" Squiers and Epi's? Was it the emails and comments to Top BRass at the companies of people WANTING a Fender strat but unable (or unwilling) to spend 2 or 3 grand on one. Did WE force THEM to mopve production overseas to give the CONSUMPTION driven global (now) economy what it wants?
    Poor Gibson executives....forced to deal with Chinese labor to continue collecting their 7 figure salaries...poor babies.

Wait....did I just argue my own argument....in the response....my mathicals are off again....need a new abacus

12. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

I think its a bit of both. NEVER EVER underestimate corporate greed though.

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well....its usually driven by individual greed, which like the universe and stupidity are infinite :)

14. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

They do, but it's completely underground. There are no bars or clubs or venues like that; it's completely underground. No recording studios either! There was an article in Tape Op a while back about a producer who started hearing about some of these bands and then spent a couple years in China and all over southeast Asia recording these guys. It's a fascinating article, but it's behind a subscriber-wall here: Manny Nieto: Recording in China | Tape Op - the Creative Music Recording Magazine

Sorry for the off-topic, but it really was that good of an article.

15. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Gibson does not make any Gibson's in China. Yes, I am quite aware of Epiphone. But if we are talking about Chibsons, then NO I would never buy one.

16. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Kernel Says: Hey, that weren't off topic, I axed the question and being
    the OP I get to ride this thread anywhere it wants to go. *laughs

And there are still points coming up that I never knew. Some of it, I don't know what to believe, so I don't believe anything. But thanks for all the responses, and thanks for not getting too annoyed with one another and letting things degenerate. I never knew there were underground musicians
    in China. It seems weird that a country that manufactures millions of guitars, real and/or fake,
    and sells them worldwide would not have a music industry and a pop music culture all its own.

Also, that Korean kid video gives me the heebie Jeebies. I absolutely hate the idea of forcing kids to do anything. And when I think of what drastic things might have been done to those kids to force them to the level of perfection you see on that stage, I get really angry. Kids need to be kids.
    I know Korea is a different culture than what I was raised in, so I try to stay
    open minded. But little kids are goofy and careless, and they f*ck up things and this is how they learn. Forcing kids to perform to perfection is abuse.
    There it is.

My parents tried hard to discourage me from being a musican. It didn't work. If they had forced me to practice, I'd likely be driving a truck.
    Hell, I'm a musician, which really means I'm a professional driver anyway.

lineboat and Alex_SG like this.
  17. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Yes, it gives me the heebie Jeebies too… But, in part, that might be because we come from such different cultures, perhaps in North Korea a children's beauty pageant would be considered as a kind of abuse? (I've no idea, perhaps they have them too!).

But running with that idea: These kids are being 'encouraged' to perform together, cooperatively rather than competitively, in keeping with the collectivist culture they're growing up in. Young girls in a beauty pageant in the USA are being 'encouraged' to compete with each other, based on their physical appearance, in a culture that is individualistic in nature.

Now, I'm not going to defend North Korea…! But what's happening in the individualistic west is thought provoking. The idea that we will rebel against our parent's wishes is relatively new. I don't think it was the 'default' behaviour of adolescents pre-WWII. But since that time, we've seen an explosion in two areas that we've prized: Freedom of choice & individuality. The latter to the point that in the 80s, British PM Margaret Thatcher said 'There's no such thing as society'. Considering that we're all social creatures by nature, that should've led to concern rather than applause.

I'd argue that an excess of either choice or individuality is psychologically damaging. So, perhaps no wonder that from the 50s to now, we've seen depression go from something that sometimes occurred in old age, (and was regarded as an aspect of getting near to the end of life), to something that's sometimes being diagnosed in children. Many people have experienced 3 or 4 bouts of depression before reaching middle age! Why? (Well, there are probably a variety of reasons).

But 100 years ago, most people found a life-long partner in their small town or village, they did the same jobs as their father & grandfather, and they did it for life. Thus there were few opportunities to rebel agains their parents, nor was it expected that they would. The amount of 'brain power' they put into those choices wouldn't be enough to let someone decide which mobile phone/service provider/contract to choose today. But today, once you've chosen a phone, someone'll come along & tell you another model was a better option, or your contract is expensive, or you'll find the network coverage is poor, etc. So you'll end up dissatisfied with you're choice; you made it, so where do you go but self-criticism? Extend this through all the choices we have, from partners (internet dating), to buying a pair of jeans (remember how little choice there was - just dark blue & cardboard-like!).

Sorry this is going so OT, but to bring it back (a little), Chibsons are bad, because they give us even more choice, whereas Gibson are good, because their 2015 range gives us so little choice (of SG) that it's hard to make the wrong choice. :)

Gibson really care about us SG enthusiasts!!!

eS.G. and Col Mustard like this.
  18. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Actually, the majority of counterfeits I've seen have not been Epiphones. The body shapes are completely wrong. Epiphone at least uses the right shape, even though some details are off. The SG copies are the dead giveaway.

19. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

In simple words, maybe.

Like many fellows here said, if a chinese company made fine guitars meeting the Gibson standards, licensed or independent, as a company, I would certainly try their guitars, all right. It's chinese work, but that's fine. I've had and played Epiphones, and they're nice guitars, and a very good bang for the buck.

I currently own an Epiphone SG, entirely stock, and a Fender American Standard Strat, stock.

A Chibson or any other Gibson/Fender counterfeit? Never.

First, I would never buy a counterfeit product to fool myself just because it's cheaper. Then I'd prefer to by a legitimate cheaper product. A knockoff doesn't get any better because it ilegally says "Gibson" or "Fender" on the headstock.

Second, I admire and worship (yeah, call me stupid, but that's who I am) the original guitar companies and the decades of work many people dedicated to their instruments. A Gibson Les Paul, SG, a Fender Telecaster ou Strat, those are things of beauty, true standards of what may be called the American culture.

Buying counterfeits disrespects and harms the legitimate companies. It's just wrong, just as wrong as buying fake Rolex watches, pirate DVDs or whatever kind of fake sh1t.

Westernrider and Col Mustard like this.
  20. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

This is more or less how I feel myself.

When I bought both my Epis I knew I was buying a chinese made instrument, but it was a licensed and supervised, technically speaking, I was buying a gibson product INTENDED to be made in china and of lesser quality standards.

It was as legit a feeling as when I came home from the store last week and brought the Fender strat. It was priceless to open the hardcase and hold a piece of american music history, a true thing of beauty that I KNOW was built in California and IS INDEED the "real deal" electric guitar. It even crossed my mind, pleasantly, that by buying a real Fender and licensed Gibson products I was giving my own contribution to every American labourer who makes a living working honestly at Fender/Gibson; these people are making a living for their families and keeping our dreams alive (yeah, I love rock music and guitars that much).

I have a bunch of friends here in this forum, and they know I ain't no corksniffer, I'm a workhorse rythm guitar player in a classic rock band who loves guitars, but counterfeits?? Never.