best sg model/neck for small hands/short fingers?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jasonpaulfarthing, Dec 8, 2020.

1. jasonpaulfarthing

jasonpaulfarthing New Member

i bought an epiphone sg to try out the neck and if it was a tiny bit narrower/skinnier it would be perfect. anyone know of a not too unreasonably priced sg with a narrower/skinnier neck than the epiphone sg? I WANT THAT REAL GIBSON TONE!

2. Musicmasterfuzz

Musicmasterfuzz New Member

Most SGs have a 11/16" nut width.
    For small hands/fingers you need a Gibson SG with a 9/16" nut width.
    The first ones were produced in late 1965 and production lasted until 1979. After they're back to a 11/16" nut width.
    A sixties SG is quite expensive now but you still can find a nice affordable Norlin era SG.
    I own a '74 and a '76 and their narrow and rounded necks are really great for people with small hands.
    Many female guitarists like them for this very reason and yes there are great SGs from the Norlin era whatever the 60's purists say.

[​IMG]

3. No Talent

No Talent New Member

The Gibson SG Naked model from 2016 has one of the smallest Gibson necks I've ever put my hands on and that includes an early 2000 Les Paul Classic neck.

Some people are lucky enough to adapt to any nut width or neck depth. I am not one of those lucky people due to injuries.

It was one of the best playing guitars I ever owned or tried out but the narrow nut width cramped my hands when playing in the cowboy chord areas. I have large woman or small man sized hands for reference.

This model seems to be somewhat rare, but I just sold one on consignment through my local guitar shop for $750 with a Gibson hard case in 9/10 condition. The shop also put it up on Reverb at the same time. The neck is supposed to be very similar to the shape and size necks that Angus Young likes.

Edited to be clear. This is not an advertisement since the guitar was sold weeks ago. The point is this is the least expensive Gibson SG with a narrow nut I've found that isn't a trashed guitar. You may get lucky and find a vintage 70's model for less but I'm guessing that would be difficult.

Also, Gibson made a model called the SG Xtra Slim with the same nut width and neck depth measurements, but that model seems much more rare than the SG Naked model.

Here's the specifications for both models from Gibson:

Profile: Rounded
    Thickness at Fret 1: 0.775
    Thickness at Fret 12: 0.875
    Width: 1.55

I replaced it with a Gibson SG jr 2020 model last Friday which has a slightly larger than average slim taper C shaped neck which I love.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  4. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

I could kill for that black one :dude:

Musicmasterfuzz likes this.
  5. Musicmasterfuzz

Musicmasterfuzz New Member

According to member PermissionToLand the 1976 black SG certainly was a custom order, as ebony (the finish) was not offered at any point in the 1970s on a Standard SG .
    It also has the unbound ebony fretboard which was only used on Standards from mid/late 1973 to mid 1974.
    Still it definitely is a 1976 (pot codes, serial#.)
    A one of a kind SG.

Demon Dave likes this.
  6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Another (newer) option to consider would be the Angus Young signature models. They came with a 9/16 nut. Available in both aged cherry and black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a skinny neck, something to consider is the 1971-72 SG Deluxe. A lot of people don't like them for a number of reasons that are real, but mostly boil down to matters of preference and aesthetics (on the plus side that should at least theoretically make them a good deal cheaper). The necks are "pencil skinny", and I have seen a couple that are more like 1 1/2 inches rather than 1 9/16. The one I own measures exactly 1.50 inches at the nut, and among other things (zero degree neck angle etc.) it definitely makes a big difference in how it plays. I actually like it for some of what I do, but I can also see why some don't care for it at all. If you can find one to try out, one of these "red headed step children" might be just what you re looking for.

8. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

Perfection, to me

Musicmasterfuzz likes this.
  9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

...waiting for the post that declares neck size does not matter, the human hand can adapt to any size neck.

No Talent and pancake81 like this.
  10. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

I didn't wanna suggest it after I looked up how crazy the prices are now, but I have a Norlin-era SGII that was a little like a cheap version of the Deluxe in its day. 1 9/16" nut. Stays in tune surprisingly well. I think the new nut and easy going headstock angle help a lot there.

I had to have mine refretted, replaced the pickups, and replaced the bridge, but it's a good player's guitar now. I wanna redo the wiring to be like a Deluxe with push/pull pots though. That should give me more options.

Given what people are asking for them though, probably not worth it, especially if you had to refret it and whatnot. Depends on what you want and what you can find I guess. I'm sure you can find something in much better shape than mine was when I got it.

[​IMG]

11. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

he will be along shortly. Give the fella a little time. Lol

in all fairness my posts are as predictable as his

No Talent and cerebral gasket like this.
  12. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Ha! :D

I will say that I play a multitude of instruments with nuts ranging from 1.50 inches up to 2 inches or more on my classicals. To be fair, my (arguably) human hands have no difficulty making the transition. That said, to state that it "makes no difference" would also be demonstrably false. Getting an instrument that is comfortable to play and is suitable to the intended musical style makes a world of sense for any player. One can always expand their palette of instruments in the future as their playing style, desires, and needs change over time. I sure wouldn't want to have to play classical style on a 1.50 inch wide neck though, I tried it once, and it was an absolute train wreck! :rofl:

No Talent likes this.
  13. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

the epiphones should have 42mm nut width? ie. 1mm narrower than current gibsons.
    there arent many new affordable SGs now that go narrower, else ur options are something like a entry lvl squier strat which have that 9/16 / 40mm width :p

14. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

you already said it for me, so I don't have to. *grins

cerebral gasket likes this.