Best Stage Tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by bscepter, Apr 26, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

I just ordered a Boss TU-2 stage tuner to replace my POS Fender model (which is highly insensitive and bounces all over the place). The other guitar player and the bass player in my band swear by the Boss model.

I used to have an old Arion stage tuner, which worked really well, too.

The question is, what do you guys use?

Bonus question: is a non-strobe stage tuner accurate enough to set the intonation on my SG? I've done it before by ear, but I'd like to have some electronic help. I'm tempted to shell out a couple of hundred bucks for a Peterson StroboStomp.

ON EDIT: sorry, Mods, I now see that tuner questions should be in the "Other" forum. Feel free to move this thread.

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

bscepter pm'd me sayin' maybe move this thread. I think it belongs here for time being at least... tuners bein' sorta in the same family as an effect (ie, electronic add on thingy)

3. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Korg DTR-1 rackmount, or Korg DT-3 - kept in the guitar case. THe newer DTR-2000 is said to be even better - and completely noiseless (it says here.... :))

4. maxguitar

maxguitar Member

I've set intonation with some of the cheapest tuners I've owned (and by ear), and it hasn't made enough of a difference for me or anyone else to notice...

That said, I use a Matrix pedal tuner (a ripoff of the Boss one) onstage. I plug it into the tuner out on my Ernie Ball Volume pedal so the cheap thing doesn't touch my tone and it's all good.

5. solidhex

solidhex Member

I use the Boss chromatic tuner more than any other pedal. Its bright white, easy to see on stage. The strobe function rules. Step on it , cut your signal to your amp or amp and direct box if using it with bass live, and switch instruments quick if you break a string or need to switch guitars for any reason.
    In studio maybe use a rackmount Korg but live the pedal works great. I use it to set up my guitars at home.

--Brad