Best sub $100 headphones?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Biddlin, Dec 28, 2013.

1. AD72

AD72 Member

What headphones did you end up with? I bout some CAD 310 from Musician's friend deal of the day and they did not last a year. They sounded good until the connection to the right ear went out and the ear pads disintegrated.

2. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD-450 for over 10 years and they still sound great. I don't think that they make this model any more, but this is a testiment as to the Sennheiser quality.

3. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Another vote for Sony 7506 Sony MDR-7506 Studio Headphones - Closed | Sweetwater.com

When mixing after everybody is asleep, this is what I use. What I hear is the same thing I get from the studio monitors the next day.

For singers in an isolated situation or overdubbing, I use JVC marshmallows on them. You get zero bleed in the mic from the mix. They are $10 at Big Lots and sound fantastic.

4. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

I'm planning on getting a pair of ATH-M50 - of all I've heard they're my favorite.

Otherwise, I'm a AKG guy - I've used K240 for pretty much as long as I've been recording.

Biddlin and cybermgk like this.
  5. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

Needs to be said. Cans that work well for general listening, are not the best choice for recording/mixing. Cans that make MP3 and similar formats sound good, are going to color the sound more than you probably want for recording and mixing. That is assuming you want mixed tracks that will sound good on multiple platforms.

I agree with Bea on the Porta Pros for general music listening etc. At a normal $40 usd, they blow Dr Dres, Skull Candy, Beats and similar much more expensive headphones away as far as sound quality for music etc. Albeit, they look a little different. THey do get some outside noise interference. But right now Amazon has them at $25 usd, which is a steal.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418139383&sr=8-1&keywords=koss+porta+pro[/ame]

THen spend a little more for a good pair od near flat response Cans for recording/monitoring.

Me, I've tried Sennheisers, Sony, AKG, and KRK. Of those, the KRKs were the best. But, I've replaced them with Audio-Technica ATH-M50s. Couple of options with straight, coiled and detachable cable. Going to set you back a hundred and a half though.

dbb and LeadFinger like this.
  6. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Yup. I've had to work with headphones extensively while on the road, and I never felt comfortable, as well as I knew them.

One thing which can help a bit is one of those specialized plug-ins which help make up for the exaggerated stereo field when working with headphones - I used 112db's Redline Monitor on the master bus and it helped.

That being said, a friend of ours is using ATH-M50 to mix when on the road - says he prefers them to any monitor he could be carry and set up in such less than ideal environments. That's where I first heard them, in his home studio on the road, and I was sold on the spot.

7. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Needs to be said...

Don't mix with earphones of any type, always with monitors you are well familiar with.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I'm borrowing a pair of Koss UR-55 studio pros, but still looking.
    ;>)/

9. cybermgk

I would disagree. I would suggest both. Monitors will always add room ambience coloration to the sound. And, cans more separation, inducing too narrow a stereo field in the mix, too little delay or verb mixed in, and other things if your not on the watch for them.

But then, cans will also show more detail and thus catch distortion, clipping, pitch issues.

So, again, using just one or the other is probably not the way to go. But as usual, ymmv.

10. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Well, heck.

This good ole boy (now living in the city) will be the first to say that anything is possible. But cans present a serious EQ and stereo imaging issue with mixing.

Usual practice is that tracking with cans is fine, mixing is far more problematic. But heck, one is free to do anything they want, right?

11. cybermgk

Yep, mentioned above. Which is why, imho you use both. Catch the artifacts possibly missed on the monitors, with cans, but use the monitors to make sure you have your imaging and other things right.

Crazy_8 likes this.
  12. GitterMan

GitterMan New Member

Closed back for tracking? The HD-280's are really really good. You cants go wrong with Audio Technica ATH-M20,M30,M40 the M50's are above your price point

13. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

If you're looking for isolation the senn hd280 pro can not be beat in the price range. They sound good, are comfortable, and offer 29-33 db of iso. Pretty awesome. They even have a modular replacement cord which is pretty cool as well.
    I've got multiple pairs for the studio.

14. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I have a pair of M50X. I bought them to use in the mornings..I would plug them into my amp. I got spoiled..couldn't use any other earphone or headphone after that. I began using them for everything. Once you use a set of really good headphones you can't go back..its like HD television vs analog. I paid 186 bucks for them Cdn. but that was almost a year ago..i see them for sale all the time. The way I see it..you get what you pay for. you want a $100 set of earphones you get a $100 set and they wear out quick..more money better quality and they last longer....So i would say put your sights a little higher and go for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X

15. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

This.

You do not have to spend over $100. I've owned $380 Sony's... my $30 Senheiser, sound just as good. Today's tech, it doesn't take a ton of money. Of course, you suffer some in cheaper materials/manufacture in a lot of cases. But, as far as headphones... these have stood up to everything.

Everything, including each time I stand up, it seems... I'm ripping them off my head, because I'm standing on the extra long cord (which I love). I just roll up that same pretty thin, yet rubbery, very flexible cord and stuff them into, an old Sony bag. Then that gets stuffed into my porta-studio bag, with XLR cords, and a tripod.

If they can stand up to the abuse of this household... I give them two enthusiastic, thumbs up.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention. I abuse the heck out of them, because I know I can. It's not intentional... but I don't baby them, because I didn't spend a lot of money on them. I'm also shocked to be a convert, because I used to hate their lower models. Ugly, fluorescent earpieces, cheap feeling... just junk. I'm impressed, to turn my opinion around like that.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  16. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

I have a Carvin set that aren't bad, and the bottom feeder Sennheiser, 2-something. Together they cost less than 90 bucks. Good for certain things but as has been pointed out lousy for others. The Carvins have an in-line volume control, which I like, the the Senns don't leak as much sound and are hotter to wear.

17. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

On the far far bottom of the budget end, I just got a pair of Monoprice 8323s based on this TapeOp review. Not sure how they'd stack up to the $100 range but for a pair of cans you can toss in a gym bag and don't want to worry about breaking or losing, they're right on the money.

18. david

david New Member

i know this is an old thread and all, but these opened up my ears when i started going through my favorite albums. 12 years and going strong. the mid-range is crystal clear and i use these primarily for any rough mixing, it always plays back nicely out of yamaha HS7 monitors afterwards.

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 11.44.22 AM.png

grado's SR80, $99