Better bevels on new SGs, finally?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by gnolivos, Aug 30, 2009.

1. TNT

TNT Active Member

Seems like the CNC machine should be able to do it no prob. They probably would have to take more time sanding them so as to not round them over.

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I also feel the early Les Paul/SGs are superior in this aspect .. but to each his own, I guess

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=19687.msg239786#msg239786 date=1253747904]
    Seems like the CNC machine should be able to do it no prob. They probably would have to take more time sanding them so as to not round them over.
    [/quote]

Nowadays, sure, makes sense to use the CNC to get as close as possible making the bodies and necks.

Same with the sanding - it's very easy to round off the edges a bit too much.

However there were no CNC's back when they made the beautiful guitars we are talking about.

Any of you Gibson production buffs know how they really made the old SG's?

4. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

I read an article that said Gibson took a '59 (I think) Les Paul and had it scoped or whatever they call it where that little needle runs over the contours to make an exact digital duplicate which they made a blank out of which they keep locked up to use for programing the cnc machines. Sorry half asleep lol hope that makes sense. Anyway it should be very easy for them to do the same for SG's. Why they don't is beyond me but again I really don't think the current bevels look bad and it's easier to distinguish the more valuable vintage or CS models from your every day modern SG. Which makes those older models even cooler imo because they are instantly recognizable.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Member

The post has inspired me to take a closer look at my bevels, and I've noticed just how much bigger (i.e. running at a more shallow angle into the guitar, and therefore longer) the bevel on the top cutaway is on my 08 Standard. Is this normal? Or is my lower cutaway bevel going to develop an inadequacy complex??