Beware of immitation

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by davidke20, Oct 26, 2008.

1. davidke20

davidke20 Member

Hello there. Am newbie here. I wasn't planned to start posting soon until I have something useful, but I couldn't stop my self to give everybody an alert. I have some friends in China, one of them wanted to offer me a SG3 with extremely low price, we're talking about a $350 deal! He said its brand new, immediately I know that is something seriously gone wrong. Because Gibson has discontinued the SG3 production.

[img width=1024 height=801]http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7711/bewarexh9.jpg[/img]

After further questioned by me, the guy finally admitted, that is a replica. The TR Cover are in place, just like the original SG. 1 above, 1 bottom. Appearance and measurement accuracy up to 99%(not talking about fret's distance) including the bent angle joint between headstock and neck is ranging between 15~19', if you're lucky, you may get 1 just right with the original Gibson. Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote! Do not bother to ask me where I got those info. I just wanted to ask fellow ETSGers beware of the imitation products. If the price aint right, then its something goes wrong. Dont you ever think you got a good deal buying a cheap Gibson anyways.

Regards,

David

2. davidke20

davidke20 Member

And it comes with LEGIT serial number at the back. Also stated MADE IN USA. Its almost 95% real if you never play a real Gibson before! I know people will say this, "I dont care whether its imitation or real Gibson, as long as it sounds good to me, its a good guitar". But then using Gibson's name to sell imitation product is definitely wrong.

[​IMG]

3. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

[quote author=davidke20 link=topic=18006.msg221140#msg221140 date=1225010397]
    If the price aint right, then its something goes wrong. [/quote]

Yep, that's probably the most reliable indication right there. If it seems to good to be true .... it probably is!

4. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever bought a fake? I'd love to see a review on one.

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Me too! ???

6. davidke20

davidke20 Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=18006.msg221145#msg221145 date=1225021907]
    Has anyone ever bought a fake? I'd love to see a review on one.
    [/quote]

Doesn't have friend bought the SG. However, do have tons of them already bought the les paul. Below are some video reference from YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ha79_qIVfE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIRwwejU-s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAaRf2m8ky4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNvgoZzIzXE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBTXyQ5MXY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnC_hKfis0w[/youtube]

Regards,

David

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum and that sg3 is one of the better looking fakes I've seen. They do seem to be getting better and better at making them these days. I am thinking Gibson is going to have to do something about it too or we will see those better fakes really mess up the used gibson market. I guess folks could just start insisting on getting the serial number off the guitar and confirming it with Gibson since it always seems the serial numbers those fakes use isn't right. Course next thing they will probably do is start copying the serial number pattern gibson uses.

I hate the fakes and wish Gibson would figure out a way to shut it down. I guess China is to the point where they can copy just about anything these days.

8. davidke20

davidke20 Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=18006.msg221150#msg221150 date=1225034503]
    welcome to the forum and that sg3 is one of the better looking fakes I've seen. They do seem to be getting better and better at making them these days. I am thinking Gibson is going to have to do something about it too or we will see those better fakes really mess up the used gibson market. I guess folks could just start insisting on getting the serial number off the guitar and confirming it with Gibson since it always seems the serial numbers those fakes use isn't right. Course next thing they will probably do is start copying the serial number pattern gibson uses.

I hate the fakes and wish Gibson would figure out a way to shut it down. I guess China is to the point where they can copy just about anything these days.
    [/quote]

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Guess what... a friend of mine received his "GENUINE" custom black beuty, the number ingraved at the back of the headstock matches the real Gibson :D WTF?!

One of his friend decided to buy 1, they have more confidence with the supplier comes with "GENUINE" GIBSONs. Again, guess what... that dude received an exactly same "GENUINE" black beuty with the same serial number ingraved at the back of the headstock!

Pretty soon GIBSON is going to do the same sh*t sweeping job like Micros*ft does. The serial numbers are genuine, just dont know who own the original. Guess what, some smarties already started to sell these replicas at my local auction site for the price of $800. I certainly know they're only a dropshipper, they doesn't even know who are they dealt with. Amazing! Dont buy guitars from ebay!!! If you do, request the prove of QA certificate, give a call to GIBSON to ensure everything is fine before you buy them.

Regards,

David

9. davidke20

davidke20 Member

Thought I may also post this to alert others. Its Ibanez JEM 7V. There is Licensed Under Floyd Rose ingraved at the Floyd Rose Trem. A CE quality assurance imprinted at the back of the headstock used to printed as Made In Korea. Dont know which bastard had told the manufacturer, now its corrected with Made In Japan. The IBANEZ logo at the headstock used to be too bold, now its the exact same size/pattern as the original. Inlays and measurement are almost exactly the same as original.

[​IMG]
    The quality assurance is now Made In Japan.

[​IMG]
    The IBANEZ logo used to be too fat, and now its exactly the same size as genuine product

[​IMG]
    Fret 21~24 had digged down. Pickup looks exactly the same as Dimarzio - sounded sucks. Look carefully, there is user manual in the picture. Try to compare to the real Ibanez packaging, you'll know this is definitely a fake.

[​IMG]
    Floyd Rose Edge Pro Trem. Take note, not edge pro 2. Its a fake FR. Very unstable and easily out of tune.

I must say, by looking at the guitar only, its almost 99% resemble the original JEM-7V. Once you get a hold on it, it sucks big time. Fretboard alligned wrongly. Open E and 12th Fret's Octave higher E is a little flat. 24th fret's 2 octave higher E is correct, due to correct measurement of the fretboard length. Tremolo is Edge Pro instead of Edge Pro 2 originally loaded on the JEM-7V. You can see recognize the locking nut is in very bad shape if you're a regular IBANEZer.

JEM-7V comes with very high quality hard case + certificate. Its made in Japan. They dont have other factory else where. Do not belive when people tells you those guitars are genuine IBANEZ from IBANEZ CHINA. No GIBSON factory in CHINA either! Hope this help.

Regards,

David

p/s: Moderator, I'm not sure this is the right place. Since I started it, thought I might continue posting all these alerts here. If you think this is nothing to do this thread, please move it to somewhere else. Make sure it made aware of fellow ETSGers. Thank you.

10. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Wow that JEM actually looks completely legit. The only problem I see is that the scallops are too deep. Thanks for this thread Dave, its very informative. This seems to be a good place for it so I think I'll leave it here.

11. guitarweasel

So were those fake Gibsons on those YouTube videos? :?

12. davidke20

davidke20 Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=18006.msg221190#msg221190 date=1225069609]
    So were those fake Gibsons on those YouTube videos? :?
    [/quote]

They are few supplier in China doing these producing these imitation product. By far, Chibsons( I mean China Gibsons) have the best quality in my opinion. To find the best Chibsons, you need to go QingDao in China. According to rumor, those Chibsons are 80% real Gibsons because they're produce by the Epiphone factory after working hours. The body measurement are from the same measurement mold as used by producing the Epiphone's Les Paul. Also, the tail piece and the tune o matic bridge are licensed Epiphone's product. They may not use the original material due to raw material control.

So, buying a Chibson is like buying a 95% real Epiphone, or 80% real Gibson. I dont know whether the Epiphone's factory produce Chibson is a real story or they just made it up. But friend of mine did take out the tailpiece and found Epiphone's logo ingraved at the back. So does the bridge, comes with Epiphone logo ingraved at the back. Does that mean those are real stuff? I'm not sure, I never played a real Epiphone before. The Chibson's Les Paul is pretty high standard in my opinion. Basically its quite playable compare to my cheapo Les Paul Spirit.

Basically all these fake guitars are 100% presentable, even though they may not be 100% playable. Atleast you can put them lying in your leaving room as a decoration. I just dont like it when it comes with the GIBSON logo on the headstock, and they're not a real GIBSON.

Regards,

David

13. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Lets all see how many things we can find wrong with this "Gibson":

http://www.expressguitar.cn/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=440

Hey when did "Gibson" change their serial numbering and the pickguards:

http://www.expressguitar.cn/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=437

Going by the serial number this is a very early '52 SG made on the 909th day of that year:

http://www.expressguitar.cn/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=474

And at least this comes with a genuine laser printed certificate of audacity, I mean authenticity:

http://www.expressguitar.cn/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=429

14. Alex

And why would anyone not want the Gibson version since it's the same price as the Epiphone version?
    Isn't a Gibson worth more???

[​IMG]

15. Alex

Ok, this is just killing me :nono::

"We are one of the largest guitar suppliers in China and have our own production plant. The products have been sold to United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, France and many other countries. We"ve got lots of retailers in many countries. We make electric guitars includes GIBSON, FENDER, IBANEZ, PRS, RICKENBACKER, etc.

Besides, we have contracted with EPIPHONE plant in Qingdao, China, on the sales of her products, that means, the EPIPHONE electric guitars that we supply are gunuine, not faked ones.

We warmly welcome you to visit and buy from us."

16. oldrockfan

that natural color sg with 3 piece body actually looked kinda cool. All of them have some details that tip off as fakes. One of the easy ones is when they put the made in usa pickup stickers on the pups ;D

Another is the strange layout on the headstock. Many times the emblems are not even centered properly on the headstock. Either they are off to one side a bit or leaning. Same thing with lettering for GIbson.

17. oldrockfan

oh and look where they mounted the neck strap button on that white 3 pup sg! Got to love that location ;D

18. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

At this stage it's easy to tell their not real Gibbons, ER, I mean Gibson! But eventually down the road they might perfect their " Art " .. They seem to be Epiphone knockoffs with the Gibson name of which it seems the real Eppy's are of a better quality and Deal!
    Caveat emptor

19. guitarweasel

C'mon guys, lets face it, we're just plain old stupid, we don't know anything about guitars......admit it, we're clueless. I have to go now, I'm on the phone with the tooth fairy. :roll:

20. guitarweasel

Now here's a REAL Gibson......

[​IMG]