Beware of This

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by smitty_p, Jan 18, 2013.

1. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

This doesn't have anything to do with guitars, but I hope its helpful, nonetheless.

I don't know how many of you have heard about this, there is a new phone scam out that's been in the news. What happens is you'll get a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft, or some other high-profile computer organization. They'll claim that they have discovered that your computer may have a virus. Then they'll try to get your credit card number to sell you a virus removal program. I mean no disrespect to any of our members from other parts of the globe, but the news story indicated that the call will often originate from India.

I just got a phone call from one of these guys a few minutes ago. My wife answered the call and was sharp enough to challenge him. He didn't answer. Then she hung up on him.

Beware, my SG brothers. Don't let the thieves get your hard-earned money.

2. Henry Pond

Henry Pond Member

It's not *that* new, but probably still doing the rounds, so a useful reminder.

One of the really nasty variants is that (depending on the scammer), they'll get the unsuspecting mark to look at some files (in the prefetch directory) and claim that they're evidence of the virus (they're not). They'll then persuade you to allow them to remote control into your computer and plant other malware - which their "virus checker" will "sort of" remove, but not really, and you'll (a) have to keep paying for updates, (b) have pased your CC details on to scammers and (c) have some backdoors into your PCs that others can use.

Some warnings are just rubbish though - always check on snopes or scambusters to see if a warning is legit before forwarding (this one is here, for example)

3. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

The operative word here is to NEVER give your CC#, SS#, etc to anyone over the phone.

Kevy Nova likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

"Hello, You've won $100,000 all I need is your account and routing information ."
    Got that one New Years Eve .

5. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

I get a lot of spam calls along the line of "Your payment protection plan is expiring" or "You are owed money from the accident you had". Accident? What accident? :hmm:

6. Henry Pond

Henry Pond Member

"you are due a refund"
    "Great, just deduct your fee and post me a cheque"

7. Strav

Strav Member

Most of those calls block their number so you have a tip off. I usually answer anyway being curious. You are more apt to get the same scam virus thing from clicking a link.