Big Muff sounds great through Princeton but bad through Mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by BenTobith, Aug 10, 2020.

1. BenTobith

BenTobith Member

I recently switched from a Princeton Reverb to a Mesa/Boogie California Tweed.

The Mesa is fantastic. Between the two amps, the EQ on the Princeton is practically nonexistent, whereas it is extremely sensitive to both guitars/pickups and pedals on the Mesa. It is definitely a tweaker's amp. This is mostly good...

One pedal that sounded amazing "as-is" through a Princeton with the EQ on 5 was the OpAmp Big Muff (reissue). It was the aggressive Siamese Dream tone I explicitly purchased the pedal to recreate. It was a simple setup and easy to get that sound. But through the Mesa, at least with the amp set to a particular cleanish tone, the OpAmp Big Muff sounds terrible. The best way to describe it would be lifeless, muddy, and washed out. It sounds almost too quiet, as well, as if something was muffling its output (no pun intended).
    Has anyone else experienced something like this, and has tips or advice on where to adjust? I tried fiddling around with the EQ on the pedal and the amp, but could never really get "that sound" back, which was so easy to tap into on other amps.

Is there a technical explanation behind this I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!

2. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

This is normal. Some amps and pedals are best friends, some of them hate each other.

cheshiergrin likes this.
  3. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Princeton Reverbs and most other all tube Fenders are well known as great pedal platforms.

4. BenTobith

BenTobith Member

Yeah, essentially it seems to be both a headroom and mid scoop issue. Now that I've figured out a better EQ for me with this amp (way more Mids), as long as I'm on 20 watts or higher it sounds fine.

5. Flaps

Flaps New Member

I have a bit of trouble with my Big Muff sometimes, I have to turn the gain right down on the amp or there is some feedback. I've had the same with a Boss distortion pedal too. Only a cheap amp though.