Black Relic

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by BlackSG91, Jul 5, 2013.

1. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

After a couple of decades, my black SG is getting a new facelift (or should I say an old facelift:hmm:). It has been VOS'ed, especially the metal hardware. Finally getting the pictures organised and the guitar is almost done. It will also feature Epiphone '57 Classic Humbuckers from my Epi LP Standard. Let the surgery begin.:ohno:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Saintjonah likes this.
  2. Saintjonah

Saintjonah Well-Known Member

I, for one, am excited!
    :ohno:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  3. BlackSG91

Don't wet your pants!:naughty: BTW, I'll keep that same theme going with the knobs and all, but with a twist. More pics to come soon. Maybe I should change my username to BlackRelic91 and be Barry's evil opposite...grrr!:dude:

Stevil and Saintjonah like this.
  4. likea45

likea45 Well-Known Member

I haven't looked it up..but what do the Epi 57's sound like?

5. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Mud, generally.

6. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

oh snap :laugh2:

7. BlackSG91

They actually sound real good. That's why I'm putting them in my SG. If they sounded like crap, I wouldn't bother. I was real surprised how well they sound through a Fender Twin-Reverb. Where the f&@% do people get this mud from?:dunno: I think there are a few members on here that are tone deaf or something. I've compared the sound of these pickups with some other pickups I have in my other guitars and they really come through once set up properly. Epi pickups varied throughout the years. These came from an '06 Epi LP Standard. Maybe the older pickups sounded like mud, but not these babies. I'll keep everyone posted and I'll even post a video for all you mudlovers.;)

Dadou, Utrecht74, Saintjonah and 2 others like this.
  8. R.A.F.

R.A.F. Active Member

Oh well, A while back I was one of these saying my epi neck pickup was muddy. But what did I know, really? :rolleyes: In recent experience, I notice that basically the neck and bridge pickups just behave very differently. The bridge pickup is hot and has a lot of bite, it handles gain very well. But the neck pickup does not like high gain very much. So just roll the gain down and you get beautiful, crystal clear clean sound... and thats it.

9. BlackSG91

You make a very good point about the neck & bridge behaving differently. I don't think that I could describe it any better. To further your point, I took measurements of both sets of pickups (The 490R/490T & the Epi '57 Classics). These are d.c. resistance readings and they give you a general idea of how the pickup will sound or respond to gain:

Gibson
    490R = 7.96 kohms
    490T = 8.33 kohms

Epi '57's
    Neck = 8.53 kohms
    Bridge = 13.98 kohms

As you can see, the Epi neck pickup has a slightly higher d.c. resistance than the 490R for a hotter output. But look over at the Epi bridge pickup...I had to rub my eyes because I thought my multi-meter was broken. The bridge is almost 14 kohms which is like super-distortion territory. No wonder this pickup can handle high-gains. It really sounds defined when I kick the bridge into overdrive. I'm very pleased with both pickups and the balance between the two might be the only real issue.:hmm:;)

R.A.F. likes this.
  10. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

this is the norm, we've read it time and time again.

and...

...been there done that.

11. BlackSG91

Where did you read it time & time again? Show me some links.:hmm: And I think I've heard that saying so much it's starting to become another song & dance.;):dude:

[​IMG]

12. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

While my comment was mostly tongue in cheek, I'm just somewhat confused as to why you would take out Gibson pickups and put in Epi ones.

13. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

i think we all are... i'm also curious as to what pups are going into the Epi husk... perhaps original PAFs pulled from a '59 LP? :hmm:

14. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

song & dance ;)

15. BlackSG91

That's a good question and I'm glad you asked.:yesway: The Gibson 490's are going into my Epi LP Standard. It's basically a pickup swap. I've always heard the 490's sound better in an LP body & '57 Classic type pickups seem more popular in an SG. My SG doesn't sound as fat as before, but has a real nice tone coming from these pickups. I was worried I wouldn't like them, but to be quite honest they're perfect. The 490's sound alive & punchy in the Epi LP. I think everything worked out real fine.;):)

Biddlin likes this.
  16. BlackSG91

Hmmm...that sounds like a plan.:hmm: Can you lend me your '59?:naughty:

You sure have a lot of time on your hands.;) Of course you googled muddy pickups and got these results, but I bet there are as much people who say the opposite. It's all a personal experience. Some people don't know how to setup their pickups or there are other variables involved as to why their pickups sound muddy. What year were the pickups made can also be another factor. It's all very subjective. I bet there are others on this forum that could back me up on these pickups. The crowd will say what they will want to say. It's the word going around that all Epiphone pickups are muddy and people start believing it. Besides, it's not always good to follow the sheep.:ohno:

[​IMG]

17. Saintjonah

Saintjonah Well-Known Member

I'd agree that you can definitely make an epi neck pickup sound muddy. You can also make it sound awesome. I, personally, have never been able to make any of my epi bridge pickups sound anything close to muddy. They're bright with bite. Granted, there are pickups I like better...but I still have the stock pups in my Epi Trad Pro and the bridge pup is pretty damn nice, frankly.

Some people hear what they want to hear.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  18. BlackSG91

You say it so eloquently.:fingersx: The Epi pickups are not expensive $130 per p.u. '57 Classics....which I think are outrageously overpriced, but there are better pickups than the '57 Classics like Seth Lovers for around $80-$90 and some people say they sound more better. Is the price the deciding factor? It seems like it in some cases. If you pay a lot of money for a certain pickup, it has to sound good...right? Well....that's what you paid for so it has to be top notch. The price can be very psychological and in this case the more expensive the pickup, the better sounding. It is not always the case. If you think like this then you need serious help.;) I've learned to trust your ears and not your wallet. I'm sticking by these Epi pickups come hell or high water!:dude:

Saintjonah and Biddlin like this.
  19. Rowdymoon

Rowdymoon Well-Known Member

I really don't understand why everyones getting upset about BlackSG putting epi pups in...isn't the ultamate goal to get the tone your happy with regardless of how you do it......I am pretty sure most guitar gods would do whatever is needed to get the sound they want...remember John Lennon and his epi..nobody said john lennon sux cause he uses and epiphone....heck remember Jimmy page and his cheap 100 dollar danelectro.

Stevil, BlackSG91 and Biddlin like this.
  20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I love Epi 57s.To me, they replicate early Gibson humbuckers much better than expensive modern replacements. I may very likely swap a set into my '59 LP vos to replace the hatefully harsh Burstbuckers . .
    Biddlin ;>)/

BlackSG91 likes this.