Black Relic

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by BlackSG91, Jul 5, 2013.

1. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Especially the new ones. Some older Epiphones might have had some issues, but ever since Michael Voltz came over to Epiphone from Gibson back in around the year 2000 or so, Epi quality I think has gone up big time. I think they are good enough for professional use. I bet there are many professional musicians who play Epiphones. I read somewhere that one of Les Paul's most favourite guitars ever was an Epiphone 2008 LP Custom that he cherished. It was his idea back then for Gibson to buy Epiphone so that the name could live on. He even developed his Les Paul guitar first at Epiphone before moving over to Gibson. There's a lot of history going on with Epi.;)

R.A.F. likes this.
  2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

It really is whatever works and makes ya happy isn't it? Back to Lennon, don't forget at the time he could do no wrong in the eyes of many plus, Epiphone was being made in America right at the Gibson factory! This is a time before the Epiphone name got associated with being an overseas manufacturer made by non American cheap labor. Nobody likes to see jobs go across the border and that just sets up these tarnishing stereotypes around these instruments with people assuming cheap labor & cheap prices must mean cheap guitar as well. It takes a real man to stand up to that and swing an Epiphone on a stage! Right Black?

Now those Pagey Danelectros are a different breed aren't they? The lipstick pups really gave them a certain unique tonality and the construction material used in the body gave the guitar a resonance that I thought carried over through those pups and out an amp quite nicely. The necks were different feeling than our slim line SG's and their bridges pretty much had to be accepted for what they were intonation wise. Add all that up and it is probably the reason nobody tries to play them at a gig all night & every song. But that's why they are cool. They do that one thing really well. If all ya get is a couple of songs out of it that sound amazingly cool & different then they have served us well. Heck they are still cheap enough to find today even with a working amp in case combo. I've used the Dano tulip style bass for some studio work when the regular bass player was MIA & thought that it sounded pretty decent too.

In the end, It definitely is all about being happy and making music that sounds & feels right to us, Epi or otherwise. Forget the haters.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  3. BlackSG91

I'm glad you finally chimed in Barry, my evil opposite!:naughty::fingersx: Thanks for your semi-epic post (not as epic as your other posts but I'm satisfied;)). You make a good point about cheap labour being associated with cheap quality. I think Epiphone went through different phases as it was established overseas. Maybe in the 90's, a good percentage of Epi's might have been dodgy or their pickups not that optimal. That's where people probably get the mud from. Things sure have changed since around 2000 with master luthier Michael Voltz joining Epiphone from Gibson. Quality had gone up and most Epi's from around the mid 2000's are considered some of the best. There's another member on here with certain tobacco qualities that owns a 2005 or 6 Epiphone LP Custom which I believe he loves to death, especially when played through a Bad Monkey OD pedal.;) It seems as though most of the older crowd accept Epiphones more than some younger folk because they know better or realize they can be just as good and are not hung up on cork sniffing. Epiphones all vary just like Gibson's do. Not every Gibson is top-notch and they have been criticized for quality issues as we all know. And like you said Barry, whatever works and makes you happy is what really counts. I couldn't have said it any better. He's a video review by a fellow musician who found the pickups in his current Epi to be quite good and feels no reason to change them. This is the guy's first review so cut him some slack if he's lost for some words. It must be that Brooklyn accent.;) I like his sincerity in this video and I believe it's a good, honest review.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1wpaSYmecQ&list=FLX5xp2YXGUI7NSamNDHpWZQ&feature=mh_lolz]Epiphone Les Paul Standard Review - YouTube[/ame]

4. BlackSG91

The neck pickup cover is back on...

[​IMG]

...and nicely aged.;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Toby, Dadou and thatbastarddon like this.
  5. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Cool.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  6. BlackSG91

You can say that again! I really love this aged look and it gives it that vibe of an authentic old pickup. Here's how shiny they were before...but not no more.:naughty:

[​IMG]

7. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Im following this project with much interest! Keep up the good work! (I'm expecting some super HQ pics of the body btw)

BlackSG91 likes this.
  8. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

looks good. what method did you use to re-pot?

9. BlackSG91

Where have you been? Long time no see, or no hear, or no smell!:naughty: Thanks for the good words my friend.;) I'm using my cell phone camera, but it can take pretty descent pics as long as my hands are not shaking. The aging of the pickup cover took quite a while, but it was well worth it.:applause:

[​IMG]

10. BlackSG91

Thanks bro...appreciate.;) Re-pot? Do you mean putting back on the cover?

11. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

wax potting.

12. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Been lurking for the most part lately tbh :) opened a couple of threads when my new amp arrived and been around the recording section... nothing really retained my attention in the gibson sg section, till I saw this thread!:thumb:

As for the pics, I might lend you my dslr camera if you let me borrow your twin reverb! :naughty: deal?

BlackSG91 likes this.
  13. BlackSG91

Well, I just clamped back on the cover and re-soldered. I didn't do any re-potting but maybe I should have to ensure no breaks in the wax. I was pretty careful to take the cover off, so everything seemed intact. I was worried about melting the wax when soldering back on the cover, but things worked out well.

14. BlackSG91

You got a new amp? Congrats.:applause: Any thread on it? Link me up.;) BTW, the Twin is much heavier than the camera...I'll have to charge you extra shipping costs for the weight difference.:)

15. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    BlackSG91 likes this.
  16. Toby

Toby Member

Nicely aged indeed.
    Really cool relic and not in a way that looks like one could get hepatitis from playing it.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  17. BlackSG91

Here's what I used to age the cover on the neck pickup...the fumes from muriatic acid. This stuff is powerful and it's well advised to use this in a well-ventilated area. I almost inhaled the fumes and nearly choked to death.:ohno:

[​IMG]

Here's a video I watched quite some time ago & inspired me to do the aging of the metal hardware on my SG. I thought it was the best method because the results are more authentic looking.;) Here's the Pennalizer.:dude:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoA0O6kSBqk]How to Relic Guitar Parts For an Aged Look - Billy Penn 300guitars.com - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another one for pickup pole pieces.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5L2seuOUE]How to Relic Guitar Pickup Polepieces - Billy Penn 300guitars - YouTube[/ame]

Attached Files:

18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

" This stuff is powerful and it's well advised to use this in a well-ventilated area. I almost inhaled the fumes and nearly choked to death.:ohno:"
    That explains so much..:laugh2:
    Biddlin ;>)/

BlackSG91 likes this.
  19. BlackSG91

It's cheaper than real drugs Bo Biddlin...you!:naughty::thumb:

[​IMG]

20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Tell me about it . This stuff cost me $118/ mo.
    [​IMG]
    That's enough to raise anybody's blood pressure .
    Biddlin ;>)/

Toby and BlackSG91 like this.