Boss Katana existential questions.

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DrBGood, Feb 19, 2019.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I remember hearing or reading (can't remember where), coming from a Boss rep, that you don't add EQ on a Katana, you only substract.

When treble/middle/bass are dimed, that's the native EQ of the amp. If you adjust everything at noon, it's not neutral, it's minus 50%. Makes sense to me. Like on a guitar let's say. If you connect the pickup direct to the jack, there's no restriction whatsoever and that pup will give it's 100%. When you insert a pot between pickup and jack, you cut off some frequencies when you dial it back, be it tone or volume. Yes ?

So same for a treble (or mid or bass) pot, it doesn't add anything to the native current going through, it substract.

Everything is already in there, ready to come out, you just tame it down by turning back knobs.

I am discussing this somewhere else and resistance to the concept runs high.

What do you say ?

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

That's how passive EQ works. I don't know if the Katana has passive or active EQ, but if it's passive, wide-open is 100% and less than that isn't.

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I can't resist a concept if I find it interesting. So I too am
    curious about what our colleagues here might say.

But I don't believe I've ever had an amp with a "native EQ."
    I've always just turned the knobs until I liked the sound.
    If I never liked the sound, I turned it off.

To me, the EQ on an amp is just a combination of highs, mids and lows
    that can either sound like music or sound like mush. I imagine most
    of us would agree when an amp sounds good. Tone is what we all seek,
    except for guys who are hung up on neck shapes.

I think the tone coming out of the speakers is a combination of the
    whole rig... including the tone knobs on the guitar, the EQ pedal on
    the board or in the f/x loop, and the tone stack on the amp.

Also, I don't think I've ever played any amp with the knobs all dimed.
    I might have turned them all that way once, but then adjusted them
    till it sounded good to my ear. And it's never the same on any amp
    anyway. In my experience.

But the Boss Katana has a lot of fans on these boards, and I'm
    always interested in what you all have to say. I don't own one of
    these, but they intrigue me.

4. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Interesting question. I have heard the same from at least one Youtube review of the amp and also read it somewhere else. As Thumpalumpacus said, this is called passive EQ, so you cannot boost any frequencies with the EQ knobs bust just attenuate them. I am no expert on this topic, but from what I have read, tube amps and some pedals tend to have passive EQ. So maybe the Katana is an exception in the area of solid state/modelling amps? I hope some knowledgable amp wizards step in and clarify this...

The question is, does it matter if it's passive or active? If the amp sounds the same with treble/mid/bass dimed and with all of them at 12 o'clock (except for the overall volume) then it doesn't really mattter I guess. In this case you can kind of choose the "starting point" for your EQ settings to adjust the overall volume (which is what some people elsewhere actually suggested).

DrBGood likes this.
  5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Shoot i dunno i have mine all set at middle on my air and katana 100 artist.

Keep us updated on what you find out.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I think there is. It's when all EQ knobs are wide open that you get the true nature of an amp. Then you can modulate it to your ear taste.

Why do most people play their guitar with everything at 10, but not their amp ? Same with an amp. Twisting tone knobs up on an amp doesn't increase volume, it opens up the tone lids. Twisting them down, restricts the flow.

I'm no talking about the amp's volume here, that is adding raw power to the system. When your tone knobs are down to 0, that's the maximum restriction you can put on your amp's EQ.

Look at it like a can full of water. The lid is your tone knob. You want all that water out, you slid the lid so the opening is 100% free of ubstruction. You don't like how the water doesn't come out ? You can't add more water, no space, the can is full. All you can do is minimise the restriction to the outgoing flow. That is passive EQ.

An active EQ will have a pressurized hose plugged to the bottom of that can.

7. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

On my katana artist 100 i can turn the eq knobs to 11?