Bought 7 Hercules Wall Hangers for my New Music Room

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by yell03, Aug 8, 2009.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

As always, I searched and researched like crazy before deciding on the Hercules GSP38WB Wood Wallmount Guitar Hanger.

I was torn between the $22.95 Hercules and the $10.99 String Swing to hold my 4 Gibson Custom Shops, 2 Gibson USAs, and 1 Fender.

Ultimately what made me choose the Hercules over the String Swing was the Hercules Locking Mechanism.

Also, the String Swing is nice, but you have to turn the guitar sideways to get it out and since it keeps it closer to the wall than the Hercules, I can see it getting dinged a little easier.

My only concern is that the Hercules claims to be safe for MOST Nitro finishes and the String Swing claims to be safe for ALL finshes
    I don't believe either claim.

Can anyone suggest an attractive way they have used to wrap the foam on the Hangers with Cotton or Felt that will protect my Gibsons.
    Pics would be great.

Also, even though the Hanger might eat away at the Nitro, is that purely COSMETIC or can it damage the guitar in any other way? Will it spread ot just be contained to that small area where the contact is?Any experience you have with either the Hercules, String Swing or any other Hanger, Positive or Negative would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

2. jsamans

jsamans Member

I've used the String Swing kind for over 10 years now on various vintage and custom shop Gibsons and Fenders....across three different houses too. No problems with the finish on the guitars whatsoever. My 1958 TV Yellow Les Paul Jr. has the finish damage from a previous owner from a guitar stand (I assume it's from a stand since it is at the headstock and at the bottom). It is just cosmetic, and it is contained to where it touched the stand, but it does lower the value. I have seen some guitars where it goes right through finish and I think that would inhibit the playability/necessitate a refin. But I think you would have to leave it there for a long long time to get really serious damage like that.

Your best bet if you do want to cover the hangers is to sew little covers out of a 100% cotton t-shirt or even a flannel guitar polish cloth. Probably not necessary though...I think the damage comes from people using rubber surgical tubing and other makeshift solutions...not from actual products designed to hold expensive guitars.

3. yell03

yell03 Member

I think I am going to wrap the pegs in cotton from a glove or something to be extra safe.

4. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I just wrapped some scraps of fabric around my stands.

5. yell03

yell03 Member

As long as it works that is cool with me!

6. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

I got a six-pack of the Hercules wall hangers. I had their floor stands and trust the mechanism to hold. Never had an issue with nitro finishes. I've used Hercules for over 5 years...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jsamans

jsamans Member

Are those mounting plates made from Fender tolex and grill cloth? Awesome idea!!!

8. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Member

I have 5 guitars hanging in my living room on string swing hangers for couple years now nd no issues whatsoever to report,and 3 of the guitars are Gibsons with the nitro finish.Not sure on Hercules but a good a mount of people have them maybe someone who has had them for a while can report something good on them to make you feel little content

9. yell03

yell03 Member

[quote author=lakehaus link=topic=19593.msg237629#msg237629 date=1250008899]
    I got a six-pack of the Hercules wall hangers. I had their floor stands and trust the mechanism to hold. Never had an issue with nitro finishes. I've used Hercules for over 5 years...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/quote]

I se three Gibsons hanging there, so that makes me feel a bit better :)

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

that is a great looking setup you have there! THinking I need to do that myself. I am using a floor rack now but would be handy to get them up off the floor like you did.

11. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Great Guitars...Nice to see another Strat Man!!

12. bootleg

bootleg New Member

I have 7 hercules wall hangars in my room as well (slatwall style with swivel mount). I swear buy them. I have a custom v, 330L, limited explorer, R7, firebird, 61RI with vibrola, and 339 all hanging on mine. The really make a room and are totally safe. I love them! I also use there floor stands. I love displaying my guitars and hate to use cases. These keep them out, accesible, and safe!