BRAND new Gibson SG with aftermarket pots?!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by grifenhagen, Jul 26, 2012.

1. grifenhagen

grifenhagen Member

just bought a Gibson SG Custom Shop, as you might have seen in my other post.
    i took the control plate off the back, and the pots look much different than they do in my other gibson guitars. they dont even say gibson on them!
    is this normal? just seems weird to me. i bought the guitar brand new 2 days ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

im sure the experts will put me right. being a custom shop model, im sure it will have a custom harness and by the looks of it also with repro bees. i know you have had a bit of a rough ride with the other guitar. but the one you have now looks so sweet and is screaming to be played. stop worrying and play:)

3. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

The pots in my Gibsons don't say "Gibson," either. Gibson doesn't make the pots. They are purchased by Gibson from another vendor. I don't know what Gibson uses today, but Gibson, at one time, used CTS pots. They may still use them.

Do the pots in your other Gibsons say, "Gibson?"

4. grifenhagen

grifenhagen Member

the pots in my 1999 Gibson SG Supreme with p90's do, heres a pic!
    [​IMG]

5. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

My custom shop doesn't say Gibson on the pots, don't worry about it and just play it!

6. smitty_p

I know from the several times I've had it open that my '74 SG just has a serial number which traces back to CTS pots.

But, I just opened up my 2007 Les Paul to check it out. It does have "Gibson" branded pots, however, just like your photo shows.

So, since Gibson is known to do it either way, maybe someone else who has a similar year SG can chime in with what their's says.

Either way, Gibson doesn't actually build these parts. They are built and given the Gibson logo by another vendor. Take my Bigsby on my SG as an example. It is stamped, "Gibson," but Gibson did not make it. It was made by Bigsby and stamped with the Gibson logo.

7. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

here is the harness i got for my epi lp. not made by gibson. but they are cts pots, similar as i would expect gibson custom shop would use. and looking at the 2 pics they look the same cts pots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  8. Aussiemodo

Aussiemodo New Member

The 2002 Special I just bought also has blank pots, was thinking of posting a query too. :dunno:

Happy now. :applause:

Cheers,

AuMo.

9. Jonny Rocker

Jonny Rocker Active Member

The Custom Shop SGs do not have the Gibson USA pots with the logo on them. Your pots look exactly like the ones in my SG VOS.

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I have seen many gibsons with gibson logo and also some without. As long as the pots work properly, I would not worry bout it either. You do have nice caps and the wiring job looks good so just play and enjoy the nice looking axe.

11. TM1

TM1 New Member

Hi Guys! First post on this forum!
    The pots in your SG are the CTS ones used by Custom. They are stamped on the sides like the old Centralab pots were that Gibson used until the mid `60's before CTS was used. The CGE pots with Gibson stamped on the back are a lower quality pot that uses a plastic board and trace. The CTS used by Custom, (not a very good quality pot, but much better than the CGE's) are to replicate the Centralab's but they do use a phenolic board and carbon trace.
    The best pots on the market are the TVT(True Vintage Taper) sold by Retro-Spec, Crazy Parts. They're made nearly exactly like the old Centralabs. Or get the RS Guitarworks Super Pots. While you're at it, buy the Luxe .022 Bumblebee caps. The ones Gibson has made are not Paper In Oil, but a very cheap poly type made by Westco and encapsulated by a fake Bee plastic shell.

dovosk and grifenhagen like this.
  12. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Thanks TM1 for spreading the knowledge. That nonsense of faking a Bumble Bee by encasing a poly & ditching the original paper in oil design it totally disgusting & just a microcosm of an example of what is wrong with todays marketing tactics. Like Harley hiding a mini bike engine inside a fake casing that looks like an old sought after motor. Not that they would do that but Gibson..That stuff just rubs me the wrong way man. Faked original parts, why bother?? Oh yeah, So Gibson can make more money hand over fist thats why. All at our exspense. Thanks for the salt. I thought that wound had healed.

Tah-lee, smitty_p and grifenhagen like this.
  13. Tah-lee

Tah-lee Member

Welcome to the forum, TM1. Thanks for the good info!

14. Tah-lee

Tah-lee Member

Mmmmm...the glitter covers every square inch of her! Sweet! :naughty:

15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

here is a photo of the wiring harness I bought for my 2007 faded special. this wiring set is made by Martin SixString out of what I believe (and what my ears tell me) are high quality parts. The pots are labeled clearly CTS. they are not 'vintage' pots, but new versions of the old standby. The caps are Russian paper in oil, the real thing.

I would not worry about what you have in your guitar, and just trust the Custom Shop to use good parts. I'd play it for six months to a year before deciding whether to change anything done by the custom shop. Kind of like letting the sound man do his job, even if you feel like the mix isn't completely right.

You'll always have the option of swapping out the wiring harness. I don't think you SHOULD have to do this when you pay custom shop prices, but let your ears tell you what to do. I just imagine that the Custom Shop has to satisfy the most discerning of customers, and so what parts they select ought to help them do this. That's why I suggested you trust them and just play the instrument a lot and listen to it. Like if you go to a good restaurant, sometimes you just relax and trust the Chef. (that's the way it ought to be, anyway). If you play it and it sounds great, if you turn the controls and they respond properly, then it's all good. That's what I hope for you. I'd like Gibson to maintain its standing as a quality guitar company.

In the meantime, you might check on your rights. When you get a custom shop guitar, do you get to specify the components? Will they take it back in and install what you request? Maybe they will. You pay more for this than I paid for my faded special, and you ought to get more. good luck with this. your sparkly custom looks awesome.

Attached Files:

16. TM1

TM1 New Member

Col. Hi! Unfortunately you do not get to spec what you'd like for parts in a Custom Shop guitar. The stuff Custom uses is a couple of rings higher than USA's stuff. But the kit you got from Martin as well as kits from RS and a few other high quality aftermarket guys, is vastly better than what comes from Custom.
    My `62 SG/LP Std. I bought in `05 from GC is a really nice guitar. I ended up installing a harness from 1962 as well as all the original plastics parts from `62, a set of dbl. ring, dbl. line Kluson's from `65 and a set of ThroBak SLE-101+ MXV pickups with short Alnico 5 magnets. It's also been to see my friend Kim @ Historic Makeovers and has had the neck reset with Hide Glue, original style trussrod & a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard with the original inlays.
    Here's a link to what Kim & his crew did to my SG: Butler 052432 - HistoricMakeovers' Photos | SmugMug

BTW guys, even though I'm a newbie here, I've been playing professionally since 1971 and also work on guitars and amps out of my home. Not braggin' just sayin that if I can help anyone out or answer any questions, I'd be more than happy to do so. This seems like a really nice board!!
    Thanks!

Aussiemodo likes this.
  17. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hi TM1 welcome to the forum, those refinish photos look fantastic you can really see the effort they put in to get it right for you. Thanks also for sharing your knowledge as you mention this is a great and friendly forum full of great people and advice, thanks for adding to it welcome aboard :)

Cheers

18. smitty_p

Here's a bit of comparison. This is the control cavity of my Les Paul Custom, purchased in 2007. If the "Gibson" stamped parts are the lowest quality variety, they made it into my Custom. I also notice they didn't use the yellow tubing on a lot of the leads like I have in my SG or some other Gibsons.

[​IMG]

19. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome TM1, thanks for any knowledge and experience you have to share. there are SG fanciers of all stripes on this site, including new learners, dreamers, players and pros. I often write my posts with that in mind.

Thanks for your comments on this thread... I bought my Martin SixString wiring on recommendations from players here, without really knowing that it was going to be as good as you've described. I just kind of trusted the opinions of my colleagues here, and they turned out to be dead right. I could tell by the sound, which was immediately better. The combination of '57 Classsic p'ups and high quality components gives my faded SG Special a depth and resonance that gets attention whenever it can step out.

But it's still 'only a faded..." *shrugs --good thing it's not for sale. The Custom Shop SGs prolly retain their high value better than an upgraded cheaper model, as long as they aren't "improved."

20. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

My big question is, why do you guys still have those ceramic button caps still in your guitars? Those things are terrible and sound like ass. Plus is is kinda odd that Col. Mustard's faded special didn't come with the ceramic disks.