BRAND new Gibson SG with aftermarket pots?!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by grifenhagen, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

sorry, my Faded Special did not come with what's shown in my picture above. my Faded Special came with what is illustrated below. Mine came with the stock Gibson USA wiring harness, which gets a bad rap on this board. I replaced it with 500K Alpha/Switchcraft kit from Stew Mac within six weeks of buying my SG Special new in 2008, and noticed a brighter tone and more presence.

I replaced the Alpha pots wiring harness after playing my SG for about three years, and reading opinions here, and thinking it over and deciding that the Martin SixString kit I showed off above was what I wanted. It sounds great, and I don't think I need to make any more mods. I have my SG just the way I want it now. Highly recommended.

Attached Files:

2. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That's very interesting to see, Col. Your original harness had poly caps like my Lester, but they neglected to put the yellow tubing on some of my leads.

3. TM1

TM1 New Member

I realized I did not post a photo of the control cavity last week. I couldn't do anything about it until today.
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the peghead as well:
    [​IMG]

THANKS!

4. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

caps dont sound like anything. value is all that matters.

anyway, my brand new SG has Gibson-stamped pots and I like them very much.

[​IMG]

5. TM1

TM1 New Member

I really hate to disagree with you on the caps. It's not so much the caps but what the caps are made of. Modern caps are made from newer, more efficient materials. Old caps are mainly mylar or PIO. The older caps do indeed have more warmth and more harmonic content and impart an older sound. I find newer caps to be more Sterile sounding. even with the voltage in a guitar being around 150 Mv, there is sonic difference.
    Not trying to start a pissing match, but I know many who hear a real difference.