Break angle

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Von Trapp, Jan 25, 2020.

1. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    This is indeed something you can do without a tech. It's only turning screws. Nothing bad will happen if you go a bit too far - just go back again.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  2. Historic

Historic New Member

I just went through a strange situation with my 2016 Gibson Custom Shop SG Standard Historic with the Maestro Vibrola.Basically at Gibson Factory string action, of 2mm low E to 1.6mm high e, the string tension felt stiff, and like they did not want to “Live”...sounded muffled and dull, they resonated when strummed open, but sounded ??? Muffled ...when i played and fretted notes , again very dull sounding, low and muffled.

I read that it was the too low break angle over the saddles caused by the Maestro vibrola that was the culprit, soo i tried raising the string action even further than factory specs, to increase the break angle...and the allready muffled tone, and got worse and the string tension felt stiff, like they weren’t able to fully ring out.

after about a year of wondering what the hell was wrong, i dropped the action to .040 low E and .040 high E....that was that 100% difference.The guitar can absolutely rip now, and the notes strummed open or fretted sound Alive ,like a normal guitar should,

i dont understand because although the action is low on paper, and sure the guitar can rip, ...its not like it feels like its crazy low and hurts bending or anything??
    I talked about this a couple times soo far, on a couple different posts one regarding “What string hieght should i have?” And another couple posts that kind of regard this type of thing, so that anyone else that might be going through this , can understand, and also so that someone that knows more than me can help as well

thank you guys

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I have to say it beats the hell out of me too and the only thing I can think of is that by lowering the action you also raised the pickups by decreasing the distance between them and the strings. In my experience, a low break angle will only result in making your guitar sound like a citar (or however you spell that) and the strings lifting from the nut slots, risking them to fall back next to them. In any case, glad to hear it's sorted then!

4. Historic

Historic New Member

Yeah, i dont know but of course as i played around with the action, i adjusted the pickups too match, knowing that they have magnetic pull on the strings.I even backed the pickups all the way down at one point and still, it just felt like, the strings were resonating when strummed, but it was as if something was holding them back from fully resonating, and they felt kind of stiff, like they were not sitting right on the guitar.???

I just wanted to see if any other owners of this guitar with this Vibrola system experienced anything like this

5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I see. Well, in that case it really beats me, I've never experienced anything like that anyway. Would be interesting to know if there's a scientific explanation though.