Bridge Upgrade

Judge

Reaction score
Hi gang. I have a 2001 ‘61 reissue with ABR-1. It has been a road warrior but needs a new Bridge. Heavy music played with heavy attack and it’s gotten a bit bent out of shape. I’d love to take the opportunity to upgrade the Bridge for something accurate that can take a beating. I’d like to avoid any major drilling but that may be wishful thinking.

Any recommendations??

cheers

skelt101

Reaction score
@Judge
You'll probably get suggestions about "top wrapping" and/or raising the tailpiece to reduce the break angle over the bridge. If those don't sound like viable options, the Callaham ABR-1 might be worth a look. It's made from CNC machined steel billet to eliminate bridge collapse.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Swapping for something different isn’t always an upgrade.
Different materials yield different tonal characteristics, imo. Some call it placebo but to me, it’s noticeable.
Unless you’re looking to hear something different, that’s another rabbit hole.

Last edited:

MetroGMP45Head

Reaction score
Pigtail Music complete bridge assembly. It aint cheap though.
I used one on a 59 Burst replica, and couldnt be happier with it.

gfwd2tt.jpg

edselman

Reaction score
I just put a Faber on mine. Looks great, very solid and no weird sitar-like sounds.

gypsyseven

Reaction score
Yeah, get a Faber bridge and you’ll be happy…Available with different saddles..brass, steel, titanium etc.

gtone

Reaction score
I had Callaham and Faber replacements for the ABR-1 on my SG and didn't care for either (or an aluminum tailpiece, but that's another story...). Jay Kolanda from Nashville told me to grab a used Gibson CS bridge and TP as they were made in Germany (Schaller?) under license for Gibson. He also recommended top wrapping the strings and tightening tailpiece as low as it will go with TonePros locking TP studs. Followed his advice and would do it again in a heartbeat as it nailed the classic rock feel/tone I was looking for.

Note: newer stock Gibson ABR-1 ('08) was cheap Zamac pot metal and it's spring retainer had a resonant frequency that made a metallic noise. Faber bridge wasn't bad but a couple of saddles made a 'zingy' sound that got old fast. Callaham sustained incredibly but the steel construction had a really strong fundamental (loud, clear and bright - sounded like a piano) but not as much 2nd/3rd order harmonics to my ears. The Gibson CS ABR-1 and TP weighed more than the stock model and sounded a lot ballsier - had the most harmonic content (esp. w/pinch harmonics) with almost as much sustain as the Callaham. Just sounded/felt so natural and right...

Latest posts