Building a SG 'Kit' guitar

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Well done! :thumb: I'm assuming you have had a chance to play it... how does it feel? I hope if I ever get around to building my own one of these days it goes as well as that. :cheers:

Tom Dickinson

Reaction score
mine, unfinished, but 'playable'!

Attachments

• B92CD1DB-B3E9-45B8-9ED4-2C6CFD4404A2.jpeg
    B92CD1DB-B3E9-45B8-9ED4-2C6CFD4404A2.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
  • D6B3C788-0A66-4A4F-A8D8-D6DDE1AF1E9C.jpeg
    D6B3C788-0A66-4A4F-A8D8-D6DDE1AF1E9C.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 08CF9C00-605B-4F3E-A46C-B3B085A3D5E0.jpeg
    08CF9C00-605B-4F3E-A46C-B3B085A3D5E0.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 15

Tom Dickinson

Reaction score
So this is a quick post here to just finish up this thread. My guitar is basically complete, and I've been playing it for a few month with no issues. Honestly, it was a really fun project, very rewarding to end up playing something I essentially 'built'. Clearly, the aspect of actually cutting out my own body and carving my own neck is still 'down the road'... (if I ever go there!!).... but considering the two pieces of wood that have now come together complete with electronics and other needed hardware, not to mention some significant set-up work, the whole ended about as well as one could ask for. The neck and body 'flex' seem no better or worse than any other SG which was my biggest concern. I ended up just going with the 'gel' finish, which included both color and finish coating. The thing is very reminiscent of the old SGs of the 70s that had a 'natural' crap-brown finish with some grain still evident. Maybe some day I'll strip it all back down and put a coating of clear or two on it.....but for now I kinda like it just the way it is. As to playability, the neck carve is surprisingly comfortable. Not the wide, flat neck like you'd find on like a '62 or 'reissue' type SG, and maybe closer to what you'd find on a Les Paul. That may give some credibility to the earlier comments about it being the wrong neck in the first place. But, considering I like that kind of configuration, it worked out well...... probably better that it might have if I'd gotten the wide flat neck of the '62 types. That might have been more flexible, and given me some grief. Anyway, Gibson bridge and tailpiece, CTS long-shaft pots, Switchcraft Jack and switch, Hip-Shot locking tuners, and some GuitarMadness '57 pickups. My only issue is that the pickups have that 'aged' look whereas the other remaining hardware is all polished chrome. So, pickups may get changed down the road, but for now, they sound great and don't look too bad. I have some old PRS 'chrome' picups in a Les Paul that I'm about to change to a 'Zebra' set of OE Gibson pups, so those chrome pickups may be next for the SG. But, to conclude, it was a great project, very rewarding, and while certainly not nearly as 'simple' as a bolt-neck 'Fender' type build, it was a great learning experience and something I may try again this coming winter. I only wish I had better 'finishing' skills. Kinda like being a great auto mechanic, but having ZERO skills when it comes to doing a good paint-job! ART!!! Thanks to all for the commentary along the way..... Tom D.

Grizzlyman

Reaction score
So this is a quick post here to just finish up this thread. My guitar is basically complete, and I've been playing it for a few month with no issues. Honestly, it was a really fun project, very rewarding to end up playing something I essentially 'built'. Clearly, the aspect of actually cutting out my own body and carving my own neck is still 'down the road'... (if I ever go there!!).... but considering the two pieces of wood that have now come together complete with electronics and other needed hardware, not to mention some significant set-up work, the whole ended about as well as one could ask for. The neck and body 'flex' seem no better or worse than any other SG which was my biggest concern. I ended up just going with the 'gel' finish, which included both color and finish coating. The thing is very reminiscent of the old SGs of the 70s that had a 'natural' crap-brown finish with some grain still evident. Maybe some day I'll strip it all back down and put a coating of clear or two on it.....but for now I kinda like it just the way it is. As to playability, the neck carve is surprisingly comfortable. Not the wide, flat neck like you'd find on like a '62 or 'reissue' type SG, and maybe closer to what you'd find on a Les Paul. That may give some credibility to the earlier comments about it being the wrong neck in the first place. But, considering I like that kind of configuration, it worked out well...... probably better that it might have if I'd gotten the wide flat neck of the '62 types. That might have been more flexible, and given me some grief. Anyway, Gibson bridge and tailpiece, CTS long-shaft pots, Switchcraft Jack and switch, Hip-Shot locking tuners, and some GuitarMadness '57 pickups. My only issue is that the pickups have that 'aged' look whereas the other remaining hardware is all polished chrome. So, pickups may get changed down the road, but for now, they sound great and don't look too bad. I have some old PRS 'chrome' picups in a Les Paul that I'm about to change to a 'Zebra' set of OE Gibson pups, so those chrome pickups may be next for the SG. But, to conclude, it was a great project, very rewarding, and while certainly not nearly as 'simple' as a bolt-neck 'Fender' type build, it was a great learning experience and something I may try again this coming winter. I only wish I had better 'finishing' skills. Kinda like being a great auto mechanic, but having ZERO skills when it comes to doing a good paint-job! ART!!! Thanks to all for the commentary along the way..... Tom D.
Would love to see some pics!

Latest posts