Built another new guitar, actually a bass. Been a while.

SG John

Reaction score
Hi, Haven't been around much due to work and other stuff. I have been working on this project for years, and as anyone who remembers my past builds knows they can take a while.

Made a copy of a '66 Thunderbird bass. I used an African Kaya mahogany one piece body blank and a two piece Honduran mahogany neck. Topped the neck off with a Madagascar Palisander rosewood fingerboard and medium jumbo frets. It also has Schaller tuners, a Dasson Bad Bird Bridge and tailpiece, and vintage spec'd T-Bird pickups from Roger Daguet.

It kicked my butt, and I made a few mistakes along the way. Somehow, I managed to make it just over an inch too long, even though I used my friend's '66 as a template. It was probably when I was getting the mortise and tenon sorted. Measure six times, and still do it incorrectly. Just like the neck angle, which is a tad too steep. Now I'll need to go with a custom case of some sort.

Otherwise, it came out great. The action is awesome. And, it sounds amazing. Roger nailed the early T-Bird sound with those pickups. I've only played it through my Hiwatt DR103, and it sounds great.

Anyway, here are a few shots. I'll have to resize some photos to get some more posted.

The body after wet sanding and polishing.

108_Polished_02_resized.JPG

Back of the headstock. Since '66 serial numbers start with 42, I thought "Perfect! The meaning of life, the universe, and everything."

109_Polished_03_resized.JPG

The neck, polished

110_Polished_04_resized.JPG

Headstock all done and strung up.

131_Finished Headstock_Resized.jpg

Hanging out with the Billy-Bo that I made, and the Javamagic Cipollina SG.

132_Friends_Resized.jpg

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Wow, that looks really nice! (won't sell in Germany though)

Latest posts