Burstbucker 1 & 2 in a SG

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by pedecamp, Aug 11, 2014.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Has anybody ever tried this combination in their SG? I have them in my LP and love their classic tone, was wondering how they would sound in an SG being that the LP has alot more wood and weight, how this might affect these pickups in a lighter guitar such as my SG - for better or worse.

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Yes. The Historic SGs have had them stock for some time now..but my experience with Custom shop stuff wasn't that positive.. I really like the Burstbucker as a pickup myself, I installed a BB2 in my '65 SG Junior, and it flat out rocks. I've also dropped a BB1 in the neck of my '76 SG Standard... Gotta have 500K pots for them to really sound their best.
    If I were to run neck and bridge BBs, I'd recommend a 3 in the bridge and a 1 in the neck..SGs really need a more ballsy pickup in the bridge, as many SGs suffer from woofy neck/weak bridge syndrome..

unklcrispy, pedecamp and JohnnyGoo like this.
  3. pedecamp

The 2 in my LP is pretty hot alot hotter than the 57+ in my SG, I'd be afraid to put a 3 in there, maybe too hot. It is nice to know Gibson is using the 1 and 2 in the historics.

4. pedecamp

I just moved the 57C+ out of my SG to my Strat bridge and installed a BB2 in the bridge of my SG. Also had a BB1 for awhile in the neck of my SG. What's interesting is the BB1 and BB2 in my SG are the same pickups that my LP has but both guitars with the same pickups sound totally different. I wonder why that is? Could be the rest of the electronics I suppose, but if I were to duplicate my LP electronics in my SG how much closer could they possibly sound? Hmmm....

For those of you that haven't tried a 57C+ in an SG they sound really great and are worthwhile, in the end I might even put it back in my SG.

5. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

Hi, my 60's tribute (2013 model) came stock with burstbucker 1 & 2 in it. They are good pickups, though I changed them out for the 57/57+ set that came in my 2012 LP traditional which IMO are better in the SG, & I put the burstbuckers in the LP. As said in the post above, the pickups sound different in the two guitars & I think better suited the way I have them now. Between getting the SG & putting the 57/57+ in it I had some overwound A5's in it, 11k neck & 16k bridge which was good for harder rock, but along with higher output I think you loose articulation, presence etc with overwound pickups. For classic rock the 57/57+ are great in an SG. Cheers

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    pedecamp likes this.
  6. pedecamp

I agree, I totally dig the BB1 and BB2 in my LP, I'm thinking of putting the 57C+ back in my SG and I also have a 57C for the neck, I'd need to figure out how to brighten the neck pickup the 57C in the neck position is way too muddy for me.

7. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

I used a 550k pot for the volume & a 0.01uf tone cap (50's wiring) for the neck 57c. Pole pieces radiused to match string radius, with the outer 2 pole pieces 1/2 a turn above flush with the pickup. The pickup is mounted a tad lower on the bass side. This has worked well. The bridge 57+ is about 2mm below the strings (fretted at last fret) & the neck is a little lower. Set up like this I don't find it muddy, though I predominately use the bridge pickup on the SG. Hope this helps. Cheers

syscokid and pedecamp like this.
  8. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Within the last few days, I read an article about clarity and brightness on humbuckers. One of the suggestions was: While keeping the string to pole piece gap the same, lower the pup and raise the pole pieces.

9. pedecamp

I fooled around with this at one time and it didn't make much of a difference.

10. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

I found the 57's responsive to pole & height adjustment. Someone here on ETSG pointed this out to me & they were right. Its worth spending the time dialling them in. A smaller value tone cap helps on the neck pickup. There is no "wrong" value, whatever works for you. The burstbuckers in the LP, on the other hand I find sound better with the pole pieces flush with the pickups. Might I ask, how do you set your amp up. Try setting your tone controls to suit the neck pickup. If this makes switching to the bridge seem overly bright you can always roll back the bridge tone a little. Hope this helps. Cheers