BURSTBUCKER 2 or 3 or '61R ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by MR D, Jul 25, 2021.

1. MR D

MR D Active Member

Opine time:

BurstBucker 2 or 3 or '61R , in the neck position on an SG Standard?

IDK what the '61's go for new as GIBSON USA apparently is not selling them and the BurstBucker 1,2 & 3 are among GIBSON's most expensive Pickup's @ $175..the EXPLORER w/BB's does have a REALLY distinct tone, and, amazingly enough, the BB2 that is in the neck position sounded identical to a Mini-Humbucker in the neck position of a '94 Nighthawk ST3 I beat to death/fixed/sold....that was quite a surprise.

Which would you put in the neck position of a 2020 SG Standard? a '61R? or BB2 or BB3? and more importantly, WHY?
    Any opine is appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

@MR D
    I can't speak for the '61R. Between the Burstbuckers, I wouldn't put anything hotter than the 2 in the neck. Too many winds of copper and that position can get muddy. What is going in the bridge position? BTW, I would never pay MSRP for Gibson pickups. You'd be better off going with a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop or "boutique" at those prices.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I prefer a humbucker at the bridge for hi gain use and a P-90 (single coil) at the neck for cleans.

Since your SG Standard is routed for humbuckers, I would keep a humbucker at the bridge and install a humbucker sized P-90 at the neck.

At the neck, maybe try one of these...

Fralin P90 - Humbucker
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/p-90-humbucker-cover/

Duncan Phat Cat
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/phat-cat

Throbak
    https://www.throbak.com/p90-pickups-humbucker-sized-throbak-pro-90.html

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  4. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

I have a new SG Standard 61 and the 61 R's are great

Rusty Chops likes this.
  5. MR D

MR D Active Member

TNX 4 the reply, I cut the original post down as it was too long...its a complicated situation... I am wondering if I should part w/the BB 2 & 3's in an Explorer that is getting sold.
    The gist is I am either going to have to keep the '61R in the neck of a new SG Standard, or put the BB2 in the neck position.I just could not stand the 490's that came with the 2020 SG Standard. Some players like em, but not me....I mentioned the price because the BB2&3 are up there with GIBSON USA's most expensive Pickup's and I think that its for a good reason, THEY SCREEEM, and I've no idea what the '61's go for new, but people seem to think they ROCK (so do I)...Not that that has anything to do with tone as it obviously doesn't. I think the '61R & BB 2 are real different sounding w/'61R being a good bit HEAVIER sounding while the BB2 offers more clarity.the '61T and BB3 are pretty similar sounding, w/BB3 being more trebly sounding.
    I kinda dont want to part with any of the pickup's involved('61R&T, BB 2&3)........but I have to put something in this EXPLORER that is hittin the bricks..so I narrowed it down to the '61R & BB2 for the neck position of the new SG Standard.GIBSON putting 490's in an SG Standard is pretty bad..BNTITOI, not as bad as putting them in the Les Paul Custom since 2012, ugh !
    Kind of a quality problem.
    I've only ever had one SD in an SG and it was HOTTER than Hell, IDN Remember which it was but it was definitely an improvement.

Question, Are the SD's available in quick connects? I'm pretty good around guitars and while I can not yet put a binding on a neck OR headstock, most other stuff is do-able...its just that I suck at soldering ! and finding a Tech/Luthier that isn't back logged due to the scam/pan demic is.....a boring story.

CHEERS !

6. MR D

MR D Active Member

the HB sized P-90 GIBSON USA makes is the P-94 ? good idea?....The split coil BB Pro in a Lester Standard I have has that AIRY tone and GIBSON sez when the BB Pro is in split position (Push/Pull 'UP') the pickup becomes a P-90 but IDK how true to an actual P-90 it really is....
    I do hear good things about all 3 of those PUp's especially the THROBAKS.....do they 'Quik-Connect'? the whole solder thing is not my forte, to be kind...Always end up w/Too little, then heat it up more and end up w/globs of the ****....I could practice tho....My iron has adjustable temps but I still....U kno, NTITOI, The P-90 Position in my Lester w/BK Butler Tube Driver can make the guitar sound like a Piano......U definitely got me thinkin, as I had ruled out a P-90!
    TNX C.B., another great idea.
    MONSTEROUSLY HEAVY WITH CLARITY, that would be perfect.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  7. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

I think I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down, @MR D . My response to the neck pickup question is: How do you use your neck pickup? Personally, I usually use the neck pickup in Gibson guitars for a clean(er) sound, the middle position for crunch and the bridge for full-on assault. In my case, given that you said it offers more clarity, I would probably give the nod to the BB2. I'd rather have the clarity/treble and be able to dial it back with the tone control (if necessary) than have nowhere to go. However, if the 61T is going in the bridge position, the "natural" match would be the 61R.
    I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm down on Gibson's pickups. Heck, I have a BB1 and BB2 set in my 335, P90s in my SG, and a (customized) BB2 in the neck position of my Les Paul! I just think they are overpriced at full MSRP for being a mass-produced accessory.
    Seymour Duncan does offer vintage output humbuckers if that's what you're after, e.g. Seth Lovers, Pearly Gates, 59, Whole Lotta Humbucker, A2P, Jazz, etc. Not too sure about the quick connects though... That might be a question for their Custom Shop.

8. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yo Skelt, these days the Neck Pickup is used for everything...with the Middle Position used on occassion for Leads. I've been pretty set as far as TONE goes for a while now, but tweaks to make things better always pop-up. Note separation in chords when playing mildly distorted is the deciding factor of whether its going to be the '61R or BB2 and IDK which yet but it definitely will not be a 490R..and its looking like the BB2 is going to be it..the 2020 SG Standard that had the 490's in it new now has a '61R in the Neck and a '57 Classic in the Bridge and its Frikkin Screemin, whatta HUGE difference/improvement over the 490's ! I'm hopin' the Hefty Tone of the '61R is not lost w/the BB2 so I gotta get that in there asap, b4 I sell the EXPLORER.... in case I need to get the '61R back in the SG.
    The SD Whole Lotta H'Bucker was the SD I was considering as well, due to the Magnet being the same as the '61R which, IDK if I am correct yet, may be the key to the Heavy sound on the '61R....If a set were availble, at a non-ridic price, a set of T-TOP GIBSON's would be my #1 choice and I believe they had an A5 Magnet. I always thought highly of ANGUS Tone on 'POWERAGE'.That '59 Plexi, DANG !
    Chicago Music Exchange is taking pre-orders on a new SG Standard w/T-Top replica's in it, I was thinking it might be worth checkin out, But Chicago is not around the block for me....and its funny tho, the 'NEW' Oxblood colour looks like GIBSON just renamed the 'AGED CHERRY' finish...never have seen an OX Bleed.

9. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yo C.B., I appreciate the suggestted Pick-Up's. After playing both guitars, side by side, the 2020 SG Standard just sounds better with the '61R in the Neck and '57 in the Bridge position.....The Burst-Bucker 2 & 3 are still coming out of the EXPLORER thats getting sold as they are just too expensive (NTM, they sound much better than 490's) to give up when I have a set of 490's in a Guitar I never play (2015 SG Special w/POS G-Farce).
    I tried up-loading a picture of the finished Mounting Ring w/M.R. Corner Screws installed but this website....ugh ! I've been able up-load pics on this site a few times, but this time, same process, NO ! FFS......BUT, IGTY, the M.R. idea on the Batwinged SG's is a damn good one, makes a noticeable difference.

10. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Member

I’d temporarily put the aluminum bridge and tailpiece from the 20 Standard on the Explorer just to hear the BB2 on the newer bridge. That’s assuming it’s not a newer Explorer with the same bridge and tailpiece. BB2 and 490 are both alnico2 and in the 8k range?

11. MR D

MR D Active Member

Not a bad idea Bro....BUT, the EXPLORER is 2018 EXPLORER 'Elite' (gold Hardware is the only difference from the Reg. Model) and has the lightweight aluminum Stop-Bar......The Guitar is a BEAST and I really like the BB2 & BB3 in it..... they are definitely coming out of it b4 it gets sold (1 Guy sez he is interested but I believe that when CA$H appears)...the dot in-lays is why its gettin sold......tuff to see sometimes.
    I did look up the output specs of the BB2 & 490R, they have same output, 7.4 as does the BB1...IDK what makes them sound a bit different? Maybe the # of winds ? Materials used? Both? Neither? IDK, as Electro-Magnetics is not my strong suit.
    As for the original post, I kept the '61R and '57 Classic in the SG Standard. the '61's are really growing on me and after not liking them at all, at 1st, I realize now just how Bad-To-The-Bone they actually are ! Close to 'T-Top' BAD...& w/'57 in the bridge position, awright ! the middle toggle switch position is OUTSTANDING !

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I just put a BB1 in the neck of my SG to get a bluesier and brighter tone than the 57C that was in there. Also put a 57C+ in the bridge to get a little hotter and darker tone than the 57C that was in there. So far so good although I am missing the 57C in the bridge a little bit. You can find these pickups used and most Gibson pickups for just under a hundred bucks usually.

13. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Member

Really love the stock ‘61 buckers in my 2020 SG…took quite some time to get height right for the neck pickup, but it was worth the effort/time…
    Amazing pickups…

14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Put Burstbucker 1 at the neck. Ive paid under $100 several times for used burstbucker pickups.

15. MR D

MR D Active Member

Where did you find them? Craigs, Reverb ? I have looked around and when something comes up I will pounce...I have been really pleased with the '61R/T, turns out they aren't the POS I originally thought they were. I've never had a GIBSON Pickup that was a dud...some I prefer over others but GIBSON , IMO, makes GREAT Pick-Up's.
    They did invent the P-90, didn't they? If so, I just cant argue with that.

pedecamp likes this.