Burstbuckers?

Angry Tele

Reaction score
what are they and why dont SGs have them?

I saw a friend of mine's band play last weekend and he has a firebird with burstbuckers in it. His tone was killer, pretty bright and beefy. he uses a marshall 2000. his firebird is a custom shop from the late 1990s or early 2000s I think, stock pickups. He just bought an LP traditional and said the tone was not nearly as "rocking" as his Firebird and was gonna swap pickups but instead he put 500K pots in and it sounded almost as good. I think that has 57 humbuckers in it.

I figure a Firebird is kind of sort like an SG so why cant they have them? are they not unlike minibuckers but full sized?

Hammer

Reaction score
If it's a new LP Trad, you are correct, it should have had 57s in it. Burstbuckers are just Gibbo claiming they've found the magic PAF formula...again. :rolleyes: From BB1-3 they get hotter, 1 being low output, 3 being hottest. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work in an SG, the Tweedy is loaded with them, but, you know...the SG is the bastard son and all. LPs get all the attention. :laugh2:

Melmord Fjordslorn

Reaction score
I am a Burstbucker fan. I like the 1&2 combo. I really like the BB pros (IM59A and IM59B). Listen, people are always going to trash/rip Gibson regardless of what they release. Seriously, Gibson could create the greatest product in the history of music and people will still trash it. So expect to hear some hate in your research on the BBs.

Like I said, I currently have one guitar with the BB1 in the neck and BB2 in the bridge as well as another guitar with BB pros in them. For being lower output, I think they wale. I'll never replace them. I have never owned but only demoed the BB3.

Hammer is right though...the SG is the bastard son (which it shouldn't be). If one Gibson had to be described as having "testosterone containers" (trying to be G rated) it would be the SG.

Hammer

Reaction score
Yea, I hear plenty of BB bashing. I've never played them myself, but your ears are always the best barometer.

Angry Tele

Reaction score
If it's a new LP Trad, you are correct, it should have had 57s in it. Burstbuckers are just Gibbo claiming they've found the magic PAF formula...again. :rolleyes: From BB1-3 they get hotter, 1 being low output, 3 being hottest. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work in an SG, the Tweedy is loaded with them, but, you know...the SG is the bastard son and all. LPs get all the attention. :laugh2:

woa thats cool. I was case shopping for my 70s Tribute which did not come with a hardshell case :dunno: , and I picked the Tweedy model to see if mine would fit. I just picked it at random but while playing it I really liked the neck (fat D) and the vibromatey, and the color. If I were to buy another SG that would be the one. I didnt even know it had Burst Buckers.

Angry Tele

Reaction score
i was never a humbucker fan until I got my 70s tribute with minibuckers and I like them very much, they are bright, focused, very low output (6.2K and 6.9K) so which ones are close to that, the BB1?

what are the readings? Im guessing around 7k? and how about for the neck of a Tele? they say a low output PAF like seth lover works great but what about a low output BB?

Hammer

Reaction score
i was never a humbucker fan until I got my 70s tribute with minibuckers and I like them very much, they are bright, focused, very low output (6.2K and 6.9K) so which ones are close to that, the BB1?

what are the readings? Im guessing around 7k? and how about for the neck of a Tele? they say a low output PAF like seth lover works great but what about a low output BB?

This is how Gibbo describes them:

First introduced in the early 1990s, the Gibson BurstBucker™ — Types 1, 2, and 3 — successfully captured the subtle variations of true, classic humbucker tone with historically “unmatched” bobbin windings and Alnico II magnets. They produce an airy, full tone, and when overdriven they achieve a magical distortion with the slightly enhanced highs that made the originals famous. BurstBucker™ Type 1 features a lower output, excellent for the neck position. BurstBucker™ Type 2 features medium output, and is perfect for both positions. BurstBucker™ Type 3 is overwound and hot, which is typically ideal for the bridge position. None of the BurstBuckers™ are wax potted, and all feature vintage braided two-conductor wiring.

They rate the BB1 @ 6.5, the BB2 @ 7.4 and the BB3 @ 8.4.

Angry Tele

Reaction score
This is how Gibbo describes them:

They rate the BB1 @ 6.5, the BB2 @ 7.4 and the BB3 @ 8.4.

wow cool...so bb1 sounds perfect for the neck of a tele that has a broadcaster bridge

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
I put BB Pros in one of my SGs and I am very happy with them. I went for pros because they are wax potted and that guitar used to squeal a lot when played loudly.

Delboy

Reaction score
Some SG's do come with BB's. the early ltd standards with the 60's profile necks came with them.

Nick.T

Reaction score
My 2011 SG Standard 60's neck has BB1 and BB3 as standard, I find them really bright, especially with the ebony board. I really liked it when I first bought it but having added guitars with mini humbuckers on my 70's Tribute, 490R & 498T on my Standard Limited and P90's on my other Standard, I must say they are my least favourite pickups. That said, when I am looking for a clean tone with minimal feedback they are great, they feedback almost as little as the mini's.

Nick.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I've read a number of posts that start by sneering at Gibson (like it was understood) and go on to trash the burstbuckers (like it was understood) and call them muddy or tinny or whatever.

I confess, I find posts like that uninteresting. I don't get it, unless it's a need for attention or something. Which maybe we all understand. My own experience is limited with these pickups... limited to this:

I walked into the music store to get some strings and see what f/x boxes they had on sale or used. (cue up Steppenwolf "gitcher motor runnin'...")

I did a classic double take... there on the wall was a lovely Les Paul with a faded brown finish that looked like it would go perfectly on a stand next to my SG faded spec.
It turned out to be the Les Paul Studio (faded)... an absolutely bearutiful thing to my eye, onsale used... hanging there beckoning to me like the new girl at the whorehouse. $500 for a night to remember. "... get out your money, sailor and get me outa here..."

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin

I forgot about everything that was on my mind, and sauntered over to check her out. I happened to have a pick in my pocket... (I usually do, especially when heading for the music store). A sales guy came over with a cable in his back pocket, and plugged me into a used Fender Deluxe that they had sitting there, just by coincidence I'm sure.

I played that Les Paul for some amount of time... dunno how long. I am afraid that I bonded with it, but was in denial about that (and didn't think I could spare the five hundred). So I resisted the G.A.S. and denied my own heart and put the Les Paul back on the hooks, remembered my errands and went about my business.

But I dreamed about that guitar that night. I dreamed about the sound of the Burstbuckers through that Fender amp... I dreamed about the feel of the weight of that Lester... It was probably only 8.5 pounds or so, more than my SG but similar to my tele. The tones that guitar gave me through the Deluxe were something else. Great Gibson growl in the lows, robust midrange that couldn't be denied and really nice highs... sparkly and musical with no ice-pick to the ears... everything you'd want. or at least everything I'd want.

There it is, my review of the burstbucker pros. That's what I think about when I read posts about the Les Paul guitar, or about Gibson pickups, or the Fender Deluxe amp... my mind shoots right back to that Saturday afternoon at the Music Go Round. Burstbuckers rock.

When I realized that I had fallen deeply for that individual instrument (because I couldn't stop thinking about it) I looked at my finances and came to the conclusion that I could swing it after all. So I buckled on my mastercard and went back to the store about three days and sleepless nights later. Of course, the guitar was gone.

The consolation prize was the Epiphone Wilshire that now adorns my music room, which plays the 'almost as good' role sweetly and fearlessly in proper Epiphone fashion. And with all the mods I've done to it, really shows up just as good or better, nah nah nah nah nah.

Attachments

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I am a Burstbucker fan. Listen, people are always going to trash/rip Gibson regardless of what they release. Seriously, Gibson could create the greatest product in the history of music and people will still trash it. So expect to hear some hate in your research on the BBs.

Like I said, I currently have one guitar with the BB1 in the neck and BB2 in the bridge as well as another guitar with BB pros in them. For being lower output, I think they wail. I'll never replace them.

Hammer is right...the SG is the bastard son (which it shouldn't be). If one Gibson had to be described as having "testosterone containers" (trying to be G rated) it would be the SG.

great points! I don't get it about the hate, except that Gibson's high prices inspire resentment before you buy, and pride after. (or bitter fault-finding).
Me, I may disagree with the 'Honorable' Henry J politically, but I like to live in a world where Gibson is possible, and we have to thank him and his old partners for saving the company when Norlin ran it up on the rocks.

And the SG, in spite of being treated like the 'punk little brother' is actually Gibson's best selling guitar... consistently selling right from the beginning in 1961 and keeping the bills paid year in and year out... while the other models came and went. And came back. No one can say the SG lacks cojones. Or if they do they're obviously recto-cranially impaired, as Biddlin' so aptly puts it.

So to answer the OP's question better, who's got an SG that sports Burstbuckers? I think that would be an awesome combination. Oh and, Tele I bought an SKB-61 case for my 70s trib. (the gig bag Gibson supplied was not a good fit with the large headstock on the 70s). The fit with the SKB-61 is not as perfect as a Gibson case, but the SKB seems totally impervious to damage and abrasion, much more practical The SKB case is designed to fit an Epiphone G400 as well as the ESP Viper and the Gibson SG, so at first it feels like it almost doesn't fit. But it does, and mine has worked itself a good pocket in the padding by now. highly recommended. I have three of them, for different guitars.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I recently took the BB1&2 out of my '59 lp vos and replaced them with Epi Hot LP pups, which worked great BTW, but noticed that the wiring was out of phase on the original hook-up. :hmm:If the intent was to copy Peter Green, it flopped . I re-installed them, using modern wiring and the effect is tremendous. I will retract past harshness complaints, or at least re-direct them to myself, because I had looked at the wiring a dozen times before realizing the wiring flub.Last night I took it out to a jam and it sounded splendid.:dude: No longer will I lament the BB's crappy sound. Now I have a great sounding, great looking, 10 1/2 lb. boat anchor. :laugh2:
Biddlin ;>)/

Angry Tele

Reaction score
great points! I don't get it about the hate, except that Gibson's high prices inspire resentment before you buy, and pride after. (or bitter fault-finding).
Me, I may disagree with the 'Honorable' Henry J politically, but I like to live in a world where Gibson is possible, and we have to thank him and his old partners for saving the company when Norlin ran it up on the rocks.

And the SG, in spite of being treated like the 'punk little brother' is actually Gibson's best selling guitar... consistently selling right from the beginning in 1961 and keeping the bills paid year in and year out... while the other models came and went. And came back. No one can say the SG lacks cojones. Or if they do they're obviously recto-cranially impaired, as Biddlin' so aptly puts it.

So to answer the OP's question better, who's got an SG that sports Burstbuckers? I think that would be an awesome combination. Oh and, Tele I bought an SKB-61 case for my 70s trib. (the gig bag Gibson supplied was not a good fit with the large headstock on the 70s). The fit with the SKB-61 is not as perfect as a Gibson case, but the SKB seems totally impervious to damage and abrasion, much more practical The SKB case is designed to fit an Epiphone G400 as well as the ESP Viper and the Gibson SG, so at first it feels like it almost doesn't fit. But it does, and mine has worked itself a good pocket in the padding by now. highly recommended. I have three of them, for different guitars.

yeah i still need a case for my 70s Tribute. the soft case is great-for my Squire tele :applause:

njpaulc

Reaction score
According to common wisdom (whatever that is) the Burstbuckers are supposed to sound great in Mahogany, and the 57 Classics are better in Maple. If you read Gibson's descriptions they're both supposed to achieve the same result, replicate the PAF. So i really guess I posted without making a point about anything.

CATMANDUE

Reaction score
I was in the market for a burst and wound up getting a 2010 Les Paul Standard Plus with BB Pros! Beautiful guitar which sounds great when not even plugged in. I almost did not buy it because I felt it was just another pretty Lester. When I played it through a DSL-15 Combo on the first distortion channel, the BB Pros came to life. I was not leaving that store without that guitar at that point! This is my second Les Paul. I also have a 1998 Les Paul Special SL with 490R-498T which sound delightful and loud! My chambered Standard sounds like a real desirable Les Paul to my ears. Think Led Zepplin, James Gang, Thin Lizzie, etc. I have those tones and more now. Heck yeah! I'm a fan of Burstbuckers, yes sir!

johnnyz

Reaction score
I put a BB2 in the neck and a BB3 in the bridge of my Epi SG Special. I know the guitar is a beginners model (cheap), but what a difference in tone. The guitar is a beast. I get some squeal but it's not unmanagable. It sounds great through either of my amps, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or the Peavy Artist (120 watt, 4-6V6 tubes, w/15" Black Widow). I keep kicking around the idea of changing the BB's out of this guitar for some GFS Mean 90's but I love the sound of the BB's. What to do!?!

dbb

Reaction score
I keep kicking around the idea of changing the BB's out of this guitar for some GFS Mean 90's but I love the sound of the BB's. What to do!?!

Play the BB's if you like them. That's what it's all about. Well, that and the rest of the dance.

Latest posts