Cabs

74 Jailbreak

Reaction score
So, I am finally happy with the tone coming from my amp! Woo!

...Other than the fact that my Marshall 1936 2x12 can't take the bass sounds that I want to put out from my DSL 50. I'm in the market for a 4x12 that will be able to handle a good amount of bass. I'm not talking over the top, 7 string power. Just something that will give me some power when I palm mute, and not mud up if I mute with distortion.

Of course, I've been looking at the 1960 cabs that Marshall offers, but $700+ is alot of coin. Any alternatives you guys can offer?

mr_dj07

Reaction score
You can always look out for a used one !

I am looking at them at the moment, and you can get a used 1960 lead stereo cab for around 400-500 depending on the condition. I personally don't care about ripped tolex, I even think it looks cooler with the tolex ripped apart at some places with a broken marshall logo :p !

You can always... build one !

Just buy speakers and build the cabinet yourself. Could turn out as you want to, for cheap !

On the speaker side, I don't know much about 'em but I think Vintage 30's could be a good choice.

Zeppelin Rules

Reaction score
I'd say the amp is a larger factor for muddy palm mutes.  Try cutting the bass and gain back a bit and above all don't scoop the mids.  If you're finding the sound isn't tight enough, try backing off the gain even more and then boosting it with an overdrive pedal by turning the drive way down and the level all the way up.  A lot of people use cheap pedals like Digitech Bad Monkeys. 

Oh also is your cab open backed or closed? That also plays a big role in tightness.

74 Jailbreak

Reaction score
[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=18164.msg223096#msg223096 date=1227830434]
I'd say the amp is a larger factor for muddy palm mutes. Try cutting the bass and gain back a bit and above all don't scoop the mids. If you're finding the sound isn't tight enough, try backing off the gain even more and then boosting it with an overdrive pedal by turning the drive way down and the level all the way up. A lot of people use cheap pedals like Digitech Bad Monkeys.

Oh also is your cab open backed or closed? That also plays a big role in tightness.
[/quote]

Sorry for the wait. It's closed. I have alot of mids, as well. Just kinda unsure as to the next move.

philosopher

Reaction score
If the speakers get muddy with distorted sounds, I suggest you swap'em for bigger ones (more watts).
A 100 or 150 watt speaker will increase headroom, but also fatten and tighten your sound. They will indeed sound better with high gain sounds.
Especially at higher (gigable) volumes.

I love the v30s and I like'em @home, but an eminence tonker always sounded better at the studio.
So I say, get a decent cab with BIG speakers. You'll love it.
Just my thought.

74 Jailbreak

Reaction score
After sitting in front of my amp all day, tweaking knobs... Maybe it's not the cab after all. >:(

The endless pursuit of tone...

joker08641

Reaction score
**chewing gum thoughtfully**

"...right. But this one goes to eleven, doesn't it?"

- Nigel Tuffnel

oldrockfan

Reaction score
my 1960A 4x12 has really good bass response. I'd suggest you look around for a used one. You occasionally see them on used markets in the 350-450 range and it might be just what you are looking for. I run it with my dsl 50 watt head and love the bass response... plenty of low end.

Speaker replacement can be trickey business. I think the design and construction of the cab itself is every bit as important as the speaker used in it. ie. cheap cabs seem to make even great speakers sound not so good.

philosopher

Reaction score
[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=18164.msg224149#msg224149 date=1228798789]
I think the design and construction of the cab itself is every bit as important as the speaker used in it. ie. cheap cabs seem to make even great speakers sound not so good.
[/quote]

+100000

Latest posts