Call me crazy NGD... 19 LP Std for a '20 SG Std

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by MikeT57, Apr 14, 2021.

1. MikeT57

MikeT57 Member

I had a really nice 2011 SG STD that I sold a few years back and have regretted it ever since...I purchased nice 19 LP STD in bourbon burst which sounded incredible but was heavier than hell... I had the opportunity to sell it today and purchased a new SG Std and some extra bucks in my pocket... my friend told me I was crazy for doing that...ehh I tend to disagree somewhat. 20210414_192023.jpg

pancake81 and jonnyfez like this.
  2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Everyone is different, to do the opposite would seem crazy to you...

To be honest, I have really bonded with the 3 SG’s I have kept. My newest one is 12 years old now. Over 20 years for my oldest, all bought new (not that it makes a difference).

Anyways, literally having my three dream SG’s, I still find myself eyeing them once in a while. But as of late, I have been looking at different guitars. Simply because I don’t need or want another SG right now. I bought an older Sheraton (335) and just love playing around with the big body. It hugs you back. Lol.

But to get to your topic, today I went to my local music store to look at Les Pauls. They only had about 5 Gibson Les Pauls, but some nice ones. One custom shop, a standard, and a few others (studios etc).

I grabbed the standard in cherry burst, and plugged it into a Vox stack. Noodled around for about 15 - 20 minutes, but I never really bonded with it. Sounded good, but was heavy, thicker neck than I like, or at least am accustomed too. I am sure I could warm up to it, but I certainly didn’t fall head over heels for it. And that’s $3300 I can save when I would have taken anyone of my SG’s over that standard LP.

I do love the look though. A worn out older cherry burst just looks classy as hell to me. And so iconic in the music roots. One day if I find one locally on the used market, it would be worth the wall art. Something to let your friends play while they have a few beers. Just don’t touch my SG’s!

I am sure on MyLesPaul they say the same thing. I bought a cheap used SG for my drunk friends. But I never let them touch my Lester! Lol

YMMV