Calm Down and Carry On... Gibson got the message...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG standard, Apr 10, 2018.

1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Seems there are now two versions of the SG Standard HP (though for some odd reason the HP II appears under the Les Paul filter and not the SG!)

SG HP - G-Force tuner and rosewood fingerboard

SG HP-II Locking tuners and Richlite fingerboards.

There may be other differences I've missed...

Twenty years from now, this'll give people something to argue about in terms of originality. :)

Of course, I want a Richlite 'board and G-Force tuners - damn you Henry! :mad:

P.S. If you're wondering why it costs more without G-Force tuners, I guess it's down to the Richlite - that stuff doesn't grow on trees ya' know... :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    grausch, arcticsg, syscokid and 2 others like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I really really need a mojave fade HP II! Yikes!

3. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

LMAO!!! :rofl:

4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Nicely done... :cheers:

SG standard likes this.
  5. Roca

Roca Active Member

That blue though!!!

6. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

Sorry, but it's ick and ick from my perspective. Glad I've got my old one.

ThatDamnSG and jojo68 like this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

SGs are NOT Les Pauls.

Les himself said so. I don't know why there's still confusion on this subject
    fifty eight years later. There's none in my mind.

It's funny that my '07 SG special and my 2012 SG special can be considered
    "old" ones now, but there's been so many changes since each of them was made
    that they seem from some other era. My '07 is a 'traditional" SG, all mahogany/rosewood
    and it was issued with all traditional equipment. Just a very normal instrument in
    keeping with the tradition going all the way back. I'm very glad to have that one, even
    though I modded it obsessively.

My 2012 SG special is much more modernistic, with its maple neck and baked maple fretboard,
    AND mini hum buckers ...but it was issued with traditional tuners and traditional wiring and has small block inlays as a '70s tribute. It's totally unique, as a prototype for the SG special T models they make now
    ...which is why I wanted one.

All the new innovations and colors seem to make my head spin just a bit.
    But all the SG colors I've seen look very cool to my eye. Red ones will probably continue
    to be dominant, but I don't know why. I like most of the other colors.
    05-13-14 Music room 1@100.jpg

lcw, arcticsg and Roca like this.
  8. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I might go for a 2018 HP if I could figure out how to do a pickup swap if I wanted to do so (without killing a pickup to get there).

9. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I would suggest resisting either the urge to buy the HP or wanting to do a pickup change because the pickups are designed to work well with some fairly new-ish & complex switching (both push-pull pots & delectable dip switching.

2018 SG Standard control panel writing enhanced.JPG

2018 Gibson HP-2 DIP switching & circuit.JPG

Pick up change could be done easily enough if the right pups & the right wire / connector is used.

[​IMG]

It could actually be a no solder job with the right pup & connector.

It would be discarding a whole lot of planned out forethought & a well designed great sounding guitar to replace the pups.

I found the '18 HP I tried to sound frankly amazing & extremely flexible / diverse in tonal possibilities.

That just a whole lot of good money to spend on a new guitar not to be happy with its pickup(s) & pup technology.
    Did you try one yet? If so, what is the issue these pups aren't delivering?

Attached Files:

SG standard likes this.
  10. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Those are F'n gross

ThatDamnSG likes this.
  11. Relic61

What you talk'n 'bout Willis??

12. Col Mustard

I agree with Relic: Don't buy an expensive Gibson as a mod platform. It's just not
    sensible. The only reason to buy a expensive, well engineered, well designed Gibson
    SG is because you want what it can do. Because it has a place in your music.

If you don't want what the expensive Gibson can do, buy something else.
    Just my opinion. I own three Gibsons now, each of them was fairly low-priced in
    their class. (two SG specials and a J-45 Avante Guard) ...I mean that other guitars
    in the same model class are priced at nearly twice what I paid. My Gibsons all seem
    to have been very well made, as well as having the good attributes I mention above.
    I like getting Gibson elegance on a plain-jane version... and it serves me well.
    I want the tone and the build quality, and I don't care about the fancy detailing.

Modding inexpensive Gibsons makes much more sense to me. Modding Epiphones
    makes even more sense to me than that, and I've had lots of good smokey fun modding
    Epiphone guitars, and gotten excellent results.

The control cavity on the guitar Relic posted looks so modernistic, it's almost scary.
    Like Gibson's trying to make a "tamper proof" guitar... like modern cars and their
    "tamper proof" engine compartments.
    Except that many of us would just pull all that out of there and frame it.
    Then install '50s style wiring and restore the instrument to what it used to be.
    But why? If you want '50s wiring, get an older one. There are lots of excellent
    ca 2007 type SGs for sale, and for decent prices. Why fuss?

I think the only reason to buy a modernistic SG is if that's what you want to play.
    For the rest of us, there are plenty of other (better) options, and for less money.
    If somebody gave me a Gibson SG HP, (which is not very likely and we don't expect it)
    I would NOT rip it apart. At least not right away.

I'd do my best to learn how to manage the technology, and study how it's supposed to
    work, and play the hell out of it to see how durable the technology is, and what kind of
    music the guitar can inspire me to play. All knowledge is worth having, and when we
    cease to learn, we begin to die IMHO. So I'd be curious ...to a point.

13. PAFHumbucker

PAFHumbucker Well-Known Member

I've got to agree with the Col on this one.

14. SG standard

And I agree with PAFHumbucker.

15. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

16. Relic61

Col, I highlighted the connectors Gibson uses to hook up their pups to the circuit boards found in the newer HP models...

upload_2018-4-13_21-37-20.png

As long as you are swapping out & installing another pup with that connector on it's lead wires it really would seem to be a rather easy swap job with zero soldering involved or damage done.
    And that would also leave it all very restore-able to original condition .

My only question now would be is, 'what pickups are currently available with these connectors on the leads'??

And my next question after that is, 'are these connector ends available for sale by themselves?' If so, we could theoretically put them on whatever pup we choose & install it easy-frik'n-peasy.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  17. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Me too!.. Lol

18. Col Mustard

I agree with SG Standard on this for sure. But there's no guarantee that twenty years from now
    anyone will care at all about Gibson guitars. Musicians of the future may very well be playing music
    on instruments that haven't been invented yet.

Some old company that made guitars in the 20th century may seem quaint and retro
    to the musicians of the future. So they may discuss points of authenticity, or the onslaught
    of Chinese guitars may make all issues like that into non-issues. The world wonders.

But I won't be here to see it. So I'll enjoy every day I get, as a gift. And I'll be grateful
    that I'm able to own some nice guitars, that inspire me to write and perform at my best.
    I'll be grateful for every joy that comes from making music on a fine instrument, and I'll
    persist until I can't do it any more.

Then I'll sit in the sun and enjoy whatever I can, or else I'll go sit on the ice floe
    and sing my song to the wolves and the wind.

arcticsg and lawrev like this.
  19. Relic61

Oh boy, I get to quote myself (may be time to question my existence here) but.. of course you can find some with these quick connect ends on them..

upload_2018-4-14_0-37-55.png

upload_2018-4-14_0-39-15.png

upload_2018-4-14_0-40-52.png

upload_2018-4-14_0-45-10.png

upload_2018-4-14_0-46-36.png

So we do have properly fitted quick connect options for some easy pup changes with no soldering required.

And for those unafraid to solder some quick connect ends onto the pickup of your choosing you can also find the connector ends by themselves on line!

[​IMG]

Note of interest: The HP Gibsons with push-pull pots & internal DIP switches are designed to work with split-able 4 wire pickup leads. Fitting in a 2 wire pickup lead will negate most of the options & tonal variations these switches provide.

20. SG standard

My 206 SG HP came with a set of these adapters in the case, so it's possible the 2018 models will too.

Sometimes it seems like no one might be around to care about anything in 20 years time... :(

But hopefully, there'll still be a few forum members alive, and caring about Gibsons. And they'll probably be saying things like; "I guess back then, with Gibson going bust, it was just a case of grabbing whatever was available in the factory... Some HPs seemed to get rosewood, others Richlite. I'm pretty sure I saw one on Ebay with baked maple." It'll be fun. Keep us busy for days on end. :)