Calm Down and Carry On... Gibson got the message...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG standard, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I read the SG Standard HP gets the Rosewood & the SG Standard HP II gets the Richlite.

I recently had the chance to play a 2018 SG Standard HP II & much to my surprise it was one of the best sounding easiest playing Gibson's I ever picked up off a guitar shops wall to play!
    This one had NO G-Farce tuners, an extremely solid feeling neck with little to no flex & a beautiful maple cap.
    The pickups were fvk'n impressive sounding & overall I was extremely impressed with this guitar!

It has honestly been a long time since I ever felt that way about a Gibson right off the wall.

No doubt in my mind Gibson is definitely doing something extremely 'right' making these SG HP beauties & I will have one to call mine someday soon!

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  2. lespaul48

lespaul48 New Member

Looking for some help in making a decision. I have been a Gibson Les Paul fan for a long time now. But a little while ago I picked up an SG and fell totally in love.

So a few months ago I picked up a 2017 SG in Pelham Blue and totally love it. But awhile ago I discovered the SG Diablo in Manhattan Midnight. This was the prettiest guitar I think I ever seen.

I wanted one but just couldn't find one. Until now! The issue is I just spent a good amount of money on a family vacation. Plus 1500 on the SG. So that's when I started thinking. Being that I love playing my SG better then my LP I was thinking about trading my 2012 AAAA trans amber LP for the diablo.

I am worried if there would be regret after I do it. Also I was thinking would I be foolish for making that trade? Any feedback would be great.

3. Relic61

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

At the risk of repeating myself...

No one can really help much with that - 'cos no one else can really know quite how you feel about the LP. But I'm replying just because I had a Manhattan Midnight Diablo myself - took a while to find one, and it was absolutely mint condition. In the end I let it go, as the nibs were annoying me, and I'd just bought another SG.

Well, I sort of missed it, and ended up grabbing the similar diablo-carve 2016 Supreme (I actually prefer the richlite/diamond inlays, but the 2012 Diablo was a stunning colour). I'm learning to live with the nibs now. So, yes, if you're really into SGs you'll probably love that Diablo - it really is a thing of beauty (sounds great too). And it may be a while before you find another one. But it has to be your call about the LP. This time, for a bit of variety, I'll add some photos. :)

Diablo:
    Supreme:

5. Relic61

That's a real personal issue & decision brother. I can only assume (danger danger) that you yourself want to trade the AAAA LP for the SG Diablo simply because you are asking this question on an SG forum where people tend to hold a favoritism & personal bias for the SG! So I'm calculating that you are wanting us to say yes! Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes! Get the SG & trade that Les Paul!

So maybe looking at it all psychologically that way you already know & have founds your answer.?. Even Further, perhaps now you simply seek affirmation & moral support to build up to letting go of your AAAA Les Paul to cover that SG Diablo.

I will simply say follow your heart & be will the guitar you know you want, love & will enjoy the most!

In Tampa likes this.
  6. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Huh ? I'll elaborate those fucking guitars are undesirable and fucking gross ! Understand now ? Lol

7. Relic61

Well I understood the first time that you personally didn't like something but the statement in totality simply read "Those are F'n gross" and left me wondering exactly what are you referring to when you say "those".

Now that I asked (in good humor) to enlighten me as to exactly what you are referring to I can now see you are talking about "those fvking guitars". That still leaves the unanswered question of exactly what 'fvking guitar' you are talking about! Several different ones were mentioned before your mention 'those are F'n gross'.

So, if you don't mind, what guitar is F'n gross & why is it gross to you?

Roca likes this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Reply to LesPaul48...

As ye question on an SG forum, and lots of us will say, "Ditch the boat anchor Les Paul and get the SG..."

Ask ye question on a Les Paul forum, and lots of guys will say, "SGs suck, keep the Les Paul."

*grins... what else would you expect. But I'll make another suggestion: Get both. You'll have to work extra,
    or sell something else. Do that. Ask your co workers if you can take some of their shifts, to make some
    overtime. Or ask your boss if you can take on some extra work, to make some more money temporarily.

Or sell something else. That's one of our ETSG proverbs:
    IF YOU NEED MONEY, DON'T SELL YOUR SG...
    SELL SOMETHING ELSE.

There are probably lots of things you can do in order to get the money. Don't commit any crimes.
    Do it legally. But do it. We wouldn't want to be responsible for your mental condition if you gave up
    a Les Paul as fine as the one you describe. It's only money. You can make more money.
    If you get a new guitar, you can make music.

In Tampa and Relic61 like this.
  9. Relic61

I have to agree with ya Col. Find a way to make the cash, save that fancy schmancy Les Paul (that you will pine over if you let it go) and add that SG to your line up.

I decided some years back to stop trading away guitars and amplifiers & I'm much happier for it. The up-side is there are never any regrets over letting go of a guitar, for whatever reason. The down-side? Well I haven't really found one other than maybe having to sometimes wait a little to get something new that I want. I seem to be handling that easy enough. Besides, I could always use the credit card if I really didn't want to wait.

I've been that guy that regretted selling off or trading a guitar that I thought I wouldn't miss, but ended up missing it none the less. I'm done doing that to myself.

It's been decided, I like 'my stuff' & I'm gonna keep it! Honestly things are much happier this way.
    Life is good.

In Tampa likes this.
  10. macdog

macdog Member

Yep. Mosey on over to mylespaul for a second opinion.