Carry on My Wayward Son

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by IndyRocker, Dec 23, 2014.

1. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

This weeks lesson has the riffs from this classic Kansas tune :applause:

Anyone else here play this song? I have some new strings on the axe and hopefully by this weekend I can get most of this song down. I haven't checked Youtube yet for a good lesson vid. Anyone know any good ones?

Also, I am trying to improve my picking because I really suck at hitting the right strings. It seems I am always running into the string above the string I am aiming for. I am still new at using a pick so any suggestions for lessons geared at improving this area would be great.

Thanks!

2. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Hey Indy
    This one has alot to take In. alot Of pull offs and hamer ons
    so im thinking that was probably what your instructor thought would get
    you a lot of kinda walk and jump around too.
    this guy does a pretty good job. BUT beware these are all like 3 part lessons a lot too take in Im on vacation. so I will go over this again
    myself and help ya if I can.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBOhbpc1Aw"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBOhbpc1Aw[/ame]

3. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Thanks Frank. Thats what I was thinking too. He is trying to get me moving around the neck. He only gave me up to the chorus to learn because this song has so much in it. I will see if I can get a recording this weekend of some progress. I am still working on the last 3 songs he gave me as well. I think next week I am going to ask him to show me some good practice routines to improve accuracy and hold up on learning any more songs.

4. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I practice and learn every chance I get this is a Great classic song.
    Kerry Livgren Is one of the first Guys Dean Zelinsky built a guitar for.And he often played a Soltero . I love mine.
    I saw them In 1978 great show.this one will get you moving around the next and practicing some pull offs all good.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_6MFTFuLI"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_6MFTFuLI[/ame]

5. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

What an amazing guy. He mentions being in Indianapolis Indiana which is my home town. Pretty cool video.

I am actually surprising myself with this song. It's really fun to play. So fun I had to put my guitar back in the case and put it out of sight for the first time since I bought it. I have worn my finger tips to the bone lol.

6. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the CD Masque from Kansas. The guitar tone and riffs are amazing on that earlier CD. I remember they opened up for Buchman Turner Overdrive way back when Masque came out.
    We were young and had no idea who these guys were. We were right in front of the stage.
    We were so blown away by Kansas at that show. They were rediculously tight and the guitar work and compositions were phenominal.
    I wouldn't want to follow their show. It was like a full course dinner before the main act. After Buchman were finished people were screaming Kansas........Unforgetable.

7. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's good Indy I post up this one is part 3 the pull offs I was talking about concentrate just on the first minute and a 45 seconds or so. I posted The other guys first cuz for me it was easier to see his fingers over the rosewood fretboard . this guy is a little harder to see for
    me but this is they guy whom I originally watched a few years back
    I don't think the other guy zabel had his out yet. Merry Xmas Indy
    check this one out. And AC Kansas had one helluva show when I saw them too awesome light show also. Once again Merry Xmas Be safe
    and stay warm and thank the lord we all have our guitars!:thumb:
    ps im re working over the last half of this one myself
    frankdd
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usslnt_yHx8"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usslnt_yHx8[/ame]

8. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I read an article one time about Dust in the Wind and how they used 7 guitars to record that. They over dubbed them over each other. Each guitar had to be played perfectly. It's one of my favorite guitar pieces to play because I can play it using Travist D style picking. That's what I am best at. Its funny that I can pick with 4 fingers very well, but give me a pick and I can't hit a string without hitting 3 lol.

Merry Christmas guys. Wish you all the best.

9. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Muscle memory is why the transition to pick isn't going real
    smooth you started out finger picking so its just going to take
    awhile that's all'
    Hey Indy what do you think about this im thinking maybe one of these.
    since this guy pretty much show how to operate the thing in this vid .
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbj9GpiRbQ"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbj9GpiRbQ[/ame]

10. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Pretty slick. I didn't watch the whole thing. I see it has 1/4" jacks. So you can play a guitar through it?

11. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

well its a long vid but watch the whole thing / when ya have time.
    I don't know about play thru it but the guy shows it has a guitar tuner
    what else would I need to make this work?
    I would really like a video recorder like this Also I would like to more than 60-90 second clips
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDyPs4p7ak"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDyPs4p7ak[/ame]

12. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I just watched the rest of it. Yeah, that looks great. A little pricey. But I bet it's worth it.

13. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting a classic rock , uh, "classic"!

Great tune, riff, vocals, etc....I still love it. And yes I played it decades ago in bands.....lots of fun.

15. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Sorry didn't see ya replied and posted a bit.
    one thing I do practicing a lot of time Im on the royale with coil split
    using single coils and not quite as much od or distortion
    when Im trying to get kicks up to speed especially.
    and the reason I was pushin ya to try the pull offs is because you can move up to starting on the d and play this with the same pull off pattern.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcflCJFzkoU"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcflCJFzkoU[/ame]
    just another Naz tune but ya know Manny Charleston who is playing these
    licks is still alive and jamming in his 70's.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU14_6Ekq9g"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU14_6Ekq9g[/ame]

16. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Sorry did a double post oops.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  17. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I played it for my instructor last night and I think he was happy with my progress. He showed me a couple different ways to play that little run after the two strums on fret 12 of the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings. I am getting better at it. But I can't play along with the song yet at speed.

As for the distortion, what you are hearing is my crappy recording. The mic in this tablet is absolutely terrible. I am using a setting on my amp that does have a little distortion. But that recording sounds really crunchy.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  18. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yes I have only done some amateur recording with my cannon camera once and my cell I had the cannon recording downloaded and it sounded really fricking compressed and distorted. keep going and eventually you
    will be able to get up to record speed. I do the same thing I just keep going a really hard one for me is Toys in the attic or even the
    new acdc rock the house man you really have to attack full force FAST
    to keep up with record speed.
    frankd