Catastrophic Pedal Failures

Discussion in 'Effects' started by jetlag, Apr 26, 2008.

1. jetlag

jetlag Member

...yep. I just had one tonight :roll:

No idea what happened to be honest, wasn't in the best of moods before we started the gig, playing along, took longer than usual to get into the set. Come the last song, mid-way through, I wandered off the stage a big, then bang. Everything dies. No cables loose, everything's powered, I haven't got a clue what's going on.
    I try to change the line selector to just run straight into the amp and use the amp's distortion (which, if people read my posts with any intregue :p, I never use so it was a risk. Worked for 2 seconds then that also died.
    Got pissed off, threw my guitar into a drum stand and walked off while the rest of the band carried on the song sans-me.

I've not even figured out what went wrong yet. ergh.
    So yeah.
    Point of thread:
    Anyone else ever had any big-ass pedalboard fails to help ease my woes? ;D

*edits*
    Anyone who wants to try telling me off saying it's my own fault for having so many pedals - leave it at the door :D

2. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Bummer set :(

I'm not really a guitar -> lead -> Amp guy. I like effects, especially delay.

One of the reasons I go with pedals is to bypass a catastrophic failure I had with multi-effects units.

My worst case scenario would be to bypass all pedals and plug straight into my amp. I left my pedals at home for one gig, so I've been worse case before.

p.s. How's guitar?

3. jetlag

jetlag Member

Guitar I *think* is fine. Probs just another ding or two to add to its collection! :roll:

Gonna need to set everything up in the morning and find the route of the problem.

I really can't afford any big repairs either, am hoping its not serious!

4. tobeman

tobeman Member

5. SGFAN-ATIC

SGFAN-ATIC New Member

Last week our rhythm guitarist set up right before a gig and fired up his old school epiphone amp (there's the first issue) and it had the most horrific sound... ugh. He's in a panic. I'm laughing because I have been telling him to scale his hyper-complicated pedal rig down... it's noisy too. He comes back this week with the same rig... a little scaled down and says, "It was a pedal cord that wasn't plugged in... case solved, my case made :roll:. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid!

6. jetlag

jetlag Member

Pah!
    I laugh in the face of keeping it simple :p

I'm planning on overhauling my setup before Christmas (not working at the mo so no income to do anything!).
    By overhauling, I mean adding to, rather than taking away!
    The band should have our van by sept/october, so I won't have to worry about fitting a bigger board or even 2 boards into my car anymore!
    Plan is either to get me a bigger board with a shelf/step (so that power leads 'n' stuff can tuck underneath for more pedal room), or get 2 boards.
    However 2 boards would require more setup time.
    When I get my PB+J delay back (well, I say 'back' - I mean buy a new one as it was on long term loan to a bandmate, which has (along with another pedal) been swapped as my payment for a hotel stay to watch Radiohead ;D) to experiment with pre-delay. Also when my whammy is fixed, my Fuzz Factory is going before it, and keeping my Big Muff and DS-1 after it. Also considering getting a Rat at some point.
    I've also got my Tremolo and flanger out 'on loan' to people, wouldn't mind getting them back either ;D
    Anyway. This is all months away yet. :p!

7. Barghest

Barghest New Member

Not so much a catastrophic pedal failure - but in July i travelled over to Germany to play an outdoor festival. So for the occassion decided to buy myself a 30ft guitar cable so i could try to cover the stage. All might have been good had i not drank half a bottle of vodka, the first song in and the cable had wrapped around the wah and the two expression pedals on my vox tonelab, throughout the gig, no matter what i did i couldn't stop the damn thing from wrapping itself around anything and everything - i was either dragging the whole pedal board around with me or getting locked up and not being able to move!!

As soon as i was finished with the wah and delay pedal they were unplugged and thrown offstage nearly hitting the poor monitor guy in the process ;D