Change pickups or caps and wiring in my G400?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Rich Cuellar, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Try adjusting them up and down first. That makes a huge difference.

Houdi_Elbow and Rich Cuellar like this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Definitely try adjusting their height first.

That guitar has the Alnico Classic Plus pickup in the bridge position which is fairly hot (13.5k). If you want a more vintage sound then you can replace it with something in the 8-8.5k range. You don't need to spend lots, I can personally recommend pickups from Guitar Madness and Vanson.

That wiring harness is way overpriced. Don't fall for the vintage mojo components and wiring BS. Pots are like $5 each, a toggle switch a bit more and you can buy a handful of caps for a dollar. The construction of the caps makes no difference, only their capacitance value.

4. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Totally agree with the above advice. If you still can't get the sound you want with what is already there, go out and play an assortment of guitars until you find a set of pickups you like and install a set of those. The "mojo" effect of vintage pots and caps would be negligible at best and is definitely not as likely to get you where you want to be as proper adjustment and pickup selection is.

Houdi_Elbow and Rich Cuellar like this.
  5. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I agree with the above too.

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get some affordable Alnico2 pickups from GFS, or spend a little more for the Golden Age from Stewmac.

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Depending on the kind of music you play, I strongly recommend A8 humbuckers IF you go the route of changing pickups. Perfect for heavier gain. Seriously, I picked up a set from feebay for 20 bucks, tossed them into my 2012 SG PRO, after dumping the crappy push/pulls that broke off in my hand, and I couldn't be happier.
    Or if looking for something more..... mellow, a set of A2. Again 20 bucks on feebay, (From China of course.) and they sound perfect in my 3 pickup Epiphone SG.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Rich Cuellar likes this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Money out the window if you ask me. Like most suggested, use your screwdriver and play with pickup height. It is by far the cheapest most efficient and fastest mod you can do on ANY electric guitar.

Here's how I do it.

I set the bridge pickup (pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from the bottom of the unfretted strings (1/8" or ±3cm). If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? Go ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Test clean AND with dirt. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck pup.

Any neck pickup will sound boomy if adjusted too high.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have the neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky or almost acoustic tone. You'll know what I mean when you get there. So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now I lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, the neck pup is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the two pup.

That is a fun thing to do. Take your time and you will find the sweet spot for each

Isn't that the 2004 ?

9. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar Member

Thank you! Yes, my mistake, Its a 2004.

10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Caps are caps. Makes no difference unless there's something wrong with the ones you have. You can change pots and caps for a variety of reasons but sound would not be one of them. I've changed pickups in a number of epis and that can really make a difference though. Some, not all, epi pickups have just sounded bad no matter what one has done to try and fix it.

Wiring harnesses are a scam, unless you just want them so you don't have to do all the soldering yourself.

Houdi_Elbow likes this.
  11. TChalms

TChalms New Member

^
    This should be a sticky. Thank you DrBGood !

Rich Cuellar and DrBGood like this.
  12. DrBGood

My pleasure.
    On most of my guitars the neck pup is flush with ring (or below) for humbuckers and about 1/8" from surface for P90.

plankton, Rich Cuellar and TChalms like this.
  13. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Unless of course you change the value of those components. Going from 250k pots to 500k will definitely affect the sound, same with changing the tone cap value.

I really like PAF style A2 or A5 pickups in the bridge position on an SG, but in the neck I always use A5 as I don't like the sound of an A2 there. But everyone is different.

dub-setter likes this.
  14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks, that was a bit unclear. I meant changing to the same values but different types. Different value caps will change the tone roll off and different pot values will change the sound.

15. DrBGood

Hmmm ... as I remembered my Godin, it made me realize that measuring distance from surface could mean something different from distance to strings. It had very hot Seymour Duncan. Couldn't get them any lower and still too hot for my taste.

P90.jpg

So let me measure that on neck pups for LP and SG type guitars. Most are a hair more than a ¼" from strings.

Well finally ... it's not that different.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Rich Cuellar likes this.
  16. 75Les

75Les New Member

I put a SD blues set in my G400 vintage and it is perfect for me.

DrBGood likes this.
  17. DrBGood

We haven't seen that Vintage of yours. Come on, show us.

plankton and Rich Cuellar like this.
  18. 75Les

75Les New Member

19. DrBGood

Nice !
    I'm curious. Did you know what it was before you bougth it. I mean not the common G400.

I changed all screws for black, I find it looks less cluttered.

black screws.jpg

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  20. 75Les

75Les New Member

yeah - I was looking for one and I lucked out and got it online 5 years ago from Guitar Denter with a hard shell case for $175 - I have put on grover milk bottle tuners, Graph tech nut, un slotted bridge saddles, Vitamin Q caps and the SD blues set. Nice and light too! Neck dive is not an issue for me.

Rich Cuellar and DrBGood like this.