changing pots on EpiSG

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by laza616, Jul 11, 2020.

1. laza616

laza616 New Member

Hello fellas,

I am a complete novice on the forum but i wanted to ask :
    Can i swap/replace the pots on my 2002 Korean Epiphone SG with the pots from Epiphone SG elitist?
    They should be better in the elitist right? And my tone Bridge pot stopped responding
    I dont know what is wrong as i am not electrician and i dont really dont know much about guitar electronics

What do you guys think?
    Thanks for the help

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The pots are most likely no different in the two guitars. Pots can be bought from most guitar supply shops, but make sure you get them for an Epiphone. Gibson use a different size. But if you know nothing about this, I would recommend you take it to a tech to get it fixed.

3. laza616

laza616 New Member

Yeah they are from Epiphone SG elitist, they would go to my Epiphone G400
    I thought Elitist models had better electronics, so the pots too
    The problem is that i need to order it from the internet so i cant really adjust and compare the size
    I really dont want to drill more space in my guitar and i changing one pot is OK but i fear the other old pots are going to die as Well and IT will be more money consuming getting them changed one by one

Is the size of the pots from the G400 and Elitist the same? Are they the same pots?

4. donepearce

I believe they are the same pots - but have a look. It's just a few screws. Online suppliers will list pots under guitar type to make sure you get the right ones.

5. laza616

laza616 New Member

They are second hand damn it
    I should take the guitar to the luthier and let him decide what to do

donepearce likes this.
  6. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

If you’re going to be changing pots, you need to be able to solder...
    Look at the pots that you have, they should have a number printed on the back (250k, 500k). You need to replace with the same value.
    Those pots from the elitist are not an upgrade, you can get upgraded pots easily online.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I would first try to clean them with electronic cleaner spray. Cheapest, fastest solution. Spray in the little openings on the body of the pot or at the base of the shaft the knob is attached to. Rotate the knob a few times both sides to spread the liquid.

If that doesn't fix it, try gently pushing on the little prongs where wires are attached, sometimes it will fix the problem.

As you have the spray can in hand, douse the pickup switch with cleaner and move the switch up and down several times.

If none of that works, you need a technician to look at it. It is not something complicated to repair, but you have to know what you are doing.

Before you take it to the repair shop, take a few shots and show it to us. We like those old Korean SGs.

8. laza616

laza616 New Member

Well maybe i should try some cleaning first yeah. WD40 would do the Job?
    I will try to look at it when i return home in the middle of the next week
    Or selling it would be good too, i am seeking for some black or white epi sg anyway

But damn, i thought that Elitist models have better electronics and pots too. I mean i never held SG Elitist in my hands. But the general opinion was always that Elitists are superior to g400

I will post the pictures of something better when i will be back home. I recently bought the SG copy by the brand "BaCH" its a Czech Brand and the guitars are Made (by the words of their sales manager i wrote to) by their Korean partner in Asia (i dont doubt its in China).
    But the guitar is so beautiful (sunburst maple top) and plays like a charm! IT was the best 150€ spent ever (second hand)....its better quality than my Vintage VS6. But i think both BaCH and Vintage i have were Made in the same facility as they have the same Bridge (Korean) the same truss rod cover, the same lame placed trapezoid inlays in the fretboard.....but the tuners and pickups and action and general feel are very very good. The guitar is very slim both body and neck are very slim , the guitar is light. The head is bigger so the neck dive is there (i dont mind as better strap solves this usually). I am sorry for long story but i am away from home and i really cant wait to play it lol hahah

9. donepearce

Most people have at least one friend who is into electronics, and that is all you need. You don't need a luthier to do this for you. If you know of someone, bring him here and we can tell him exactly what pots he needs to make this good again for you.

DrBGood likes this.
  10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

The first question is Why? What is it that you feel is wrong with the ones in the 400?

11. laza616

laza616 New Member

Well my Bridge tune pot isnt working
    Unfortunately no friends who knows anything about the electric, my grandpa knew but he passed away a year ago :(
    Its ok i will try to clean IT as i was told and if it wont help i will get it fixed or i will change the guitar as i already have an offer for changing it for other Epi SG so lets see what it will be

Anyway, thank you All for good wise words
    Maybe i will learn something on the forum

You are great

donepearce likes this.
  12. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Don't use the regular W40, it's not made for electronics. Get the one below.

WD40.jpg

dub-setter likes this.
  13. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

There could be many reasons for this but the easiest thing, if you know how to solder, is to just get a new one and change it. They're not that expensive.

14. laza616

laza616 New Member

DrBgood thank you i will purchase this one WD40

If it will not help i will get the guitar fixed
    I dont know how to solder and have no tools either

Thank you guys

DrBGood likes this.
  15. RW59

RW59 Member

Bridge tone control not working doesn't necessarily mean it's the pot that's broken. Cracked solder joint, broken wire, cap gone bad.

Pots usually fail by getting so crackly/scratchy that even cleaning doesn't quiet them for long.

For a pot to stop responding when you turn the knob it usually takes an impact -- and then you can feel that something's wrong as you're turning the pot.

dub-setter likes this.