Cheaper Mustang Project

happy_tom

Reaction score
Yori makes super cool guitars. 8)

Us, poor students will have to live with this: ;D

A while ago I got this squier cyclone. Mustangs have always been my second favorite, but they're out of my league;
so when this super clean Squier Cyclone popped up for 130, i grabbed it.
I guess it's the next best thing if you're on a tight budget.
dsc02394.jpg

I really like it, it actually feels much more like an SG than a strat type guitar; for more reasons: 24.75 scale, bridge sits quite far to the center of the body; the body is small and comfy, etc. Unlike a proper mustang, this weighs a ton and has really rich lows. (also has killer sustain, better than my epi, but hate to admit it :oops:)

Anyway, first order of business: swapping the trem covers.
Originally:
dsc02390.jpg

Now, this makes more sense:
dsc02392.jpg

I replaced the junk minipots with proper ones, 250K, as I plan to put in 2 single coils anyway.
dsc02396.jpg

Original humbucker has clarity and hot output, but it's way too 'modern' for me, so these pots warmed it up a bit, and will do for now.

btw. These have fender stamped saddles for some reason:
dsc02406.jpg

Now about the pickguard: couldn't find pearloid material (at least not for a decent price), so I got some Gravoply (r) to practice on. Turend out OK for first time, but needs some more work:
dsc02399.jpg

dsc02400.jpg

With some temporary competition stripes:
dsc02404.jpg

So finally, I found some tortoise shell material (actually it's a cheap sticker which I put on white gravoply). I wasn't sure about the color, but it turned out pretty good.
dsc02413zb.jpg

dsc02416o.jpg

dsc02420c.jpg

What I really wanted was a 'competition blue' color scheme, but this one is so nice I just can't force myslef to strip the paint.
I plan to put in some 'stang switches and some single coils, or perhaps jazzmaster pickups, but this will do for now.

cheers :)

happy_tom

Reaction score
Hmmm, there seem to be some problems with the pix... I'll sort it out. If anyone's actually interested... ;D

Edit: done. Sorry for the crap qualitiy. I get too excited with my projects and forget to wipe the lens. :D

Latest posts