chord voicing

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by dr purple, Aug 20, 2005.

1. dr purple

dr purple Member

hello all,

i come with a question that may seem stupid, but i just cant find the information anywhere else... so ill ask anyway..
    i was learning an eagles tune for fun a little earlier and came across a chord named Em XII.... it was played by fretting the 12th fret of the G,B, and high E strings. the question comes in as later on through the song i noticed a chord named Cmaj7 XII.. this chord had the same fretting as the Em XII chord... the Cmaj XII sounds a little higher though. so i guess im asking how is this achieved? i know its just different voicing, but how do you voice chords differently?

2. tpa

tpa Active Member

General: XII is roman number and in guitar notation indicates barré at the given position. Here 12th position (fret).

So here you have the basic chords - just one octave higher. From a fretting point of view the difference between Em and Cmaj7 would be (a) the A-string is fretted in 2nd(14th) position in case of an Em and in 3rd(15th) position in case of a Cmaj7 (b) Normally the A-string (C-note) will be the bass in case of a Cmaj7 (E-string (6th) is mute in this case) and the E string will give the bass in case of an Em.

If you consider fingering and only pluck strings 1-2-3-4 this combination I would call and Em. But the right chord could be Cmaj7 because the the bass, keybord or singer supplies the C-note up the complete Cmaj7. In other words: what you saw from the tab you read is an acompagnement (probably not the right word ....)

Did that help ?

3. dr purple

dr purple Member

well maybe this tab for powertab is incorrect... in the chord dictionary it gives the diagrams for the Em XII and the Cmaj7 XII... there fretting is exactly the same... the fretting they show is this:

Em XII Cmaj7 XII logically there exactly the same.. (and this is what i thought..)
    but when i playthe powertab file, the Cmaj7 XII sounds higher
    e 12 12
    b 12 12
    g 12 12
    d x x
    a x x
    e x x

4. burchyk

burchyk Member

technically this chord you show is NOT Cmaj7, it's a second inversion of Em ( top-to-bottom: third (G) , fifth (B) and root(E) ). Any maj7 chord needs at least 4 notes. That would be C, E, G and B (maj7). So if you add C to this chord somehow it becomes Cmaj7. Note that this C can come from other instrument, like tpa said. This is called chord substitution, ie you play Em chord over C to get Cmaj7 sound

Can't help you with powertab though :-\