Classic 57 / P94 combination. Opinions? Experience?

ricardo_vicente

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a 2014 Standard ....

You may remember it, it's this one:

I have since put in a set of P94s as I am a big fan of P90s. The guitar sounds great but I still have the 57 Classics and got to thinking ...
A P90-type pickup in the neck often works really well with a humbucker in the bridge. So, I'm thinking about putting the stock 57 Classic back in the bridge position.
Looking at the output chart, it should be a good match.
Has anyone got experience with this combination? Opinions?

Derald

Reaction score
I had a GFS Mean 90 in the neck with a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge on an LP copy - great combo! Surprisingly, very versatile. Never muddy in the neck, and the bridge just ripped. The Classic57 is pretty close to the BB3 in terms of tone and output. The BB3 is a little hotter and brighter. I think the Classic57 and P90 (P94) combo would really kick ass.
One thing you can experiment with is coil-splitting the Classic57 for those occasions when you want a pair of single coil sounds. I run my coil split through a 0.033uF cap to ground which gives is a fairly convincing P90-ish sound when split.

I really dig the P90/BB3 combo played together. It had a wonderful spanky and aggressive tone, if that's such a thing. I sold the guitar years ago but I've always wanted to try it again.

BTW I really dig that white SG, looks really nice.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I did something similar but with a Mini Humbucker and P-90 combo.

full

This combo eventually evolved into my favorite combo which is a hum-free P-90 at the bridge and a stock single coil P-90 at the neck. A hum-free P-90 has a PAF type sound, only thicker and darker. I like this combo because I use the bridge for hi gain and the neck for cleans.

full

Last edited:

Latest posts