Cleaner/Polish

Paul M

Reaction score
I’m looking for suggestions on a cleaner for an SG Special with the satin/ faded finish I just purchased used.

This is my first SG and I am a new member.

Biddlin

Reaction score
51SUP-6sWqL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I use MusicNomad The Guitar 1, rarely and sparingly. Mostly I just wipe it down with a clean soft cloth after use.

vancouverois

Reaction score
D'addario spray cleaner step number 3, works great with the faded finish of my Epi SG Classic P90.

DADDARIO+PW+PL+03S.JPG

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Got a used one.
Sent it out for a refinish.
Filled the grain and gloss clear coat.
No polish, just wipe down with cloth.

full

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I've never come across a guitar cleaner that didn't do the job, or a soft cloth for that matter, so just get the cheapest stuff you can find...

Rockdog

Reaction score
I would go with the bare minimum: a soft cotton cloth, slightly dampened with water if necessary.

FWIW, I stopped using polish after I used one that contained silicone, and I didn't know it. Not only does silicone make refinishing and touch-ups very difficult, but it can cross contaminate your other guitars.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
It might be true... I know the paint shop at the car dealership(s) I have worked at had strict rules about product that contained silicone. Those products had to be kept out of the body shop completely, and more than once I have heard about paint issues attributed to the mere presence of a car that came from the "detailing" shop to the paint shop. The "detailing guys apparently use about 5 pounds of silicone products to detail car.

If it isn't true that silicone products can cross contaminate through the air, it is certainly misinformation accepted as fact by many, if not most people who apply paints and finishes.

Rockdog

Reaction score

Because silicone can get on your hands and then it's on whatever you touch. If you go to refinish one of your guitars and it's contaminated with silicone, you get fish eyes.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Because silicone can get on your hands and then it's on whatever you touch.
Seems like marginally good hygiene should solve that, but I don't judge.

pancake81

Reaction score
I have used a couple over the years, starting with Martin over 20 years ago and currently utilizing Dunlop 65. With little elbow grease it brings my guitars a brilliant shine. Truly! I always think my guitars are clean and polished as I often give them a quick wipe down after playing, but after a few minutes of buffing and wiping dust off of those hard to reach places I am always impressed. The Dunlop seems to be safe over my signatures, and also does an impeccable job. So I will likely stick with it for years to come.

Finished my chores early tonight so gave everyone a spiff up.

Wild Bill212

Reaction score
If it is an SG FADED, do not put 'Virtuoso Polish' on it as it will get inside the grain and when under a Black Light will be all fluorescent. I did that and it was a huge mistake. I sold the li'l BAD-A$$ and was almost sorry I did till I got my 2017 SG STandard that blew the strings off of it !
Just use Music Nomad Guitar Detailer or Dunlop's Formula 65 and you'll be fim=ne !

Latest posts