CME vs Wildwood spec

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Goodsal, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Goodsal

Goodsal New Member

I’m looking at both the CME and Wildwood spec Custom Shop 64 SG’s. Does anyone know the difference between these 2 models and why Wildwood asks for $5,099 and CME $4,599?

2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

No idea. The only difference I can see is the pickup specs, the details of which they both seem to keep quiet about.

3. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

CME gives you a price break to carry their logo/advertising on your guitar forever with a CME stamp at the serial number indicating forever that you endorse shopping at CME

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

The Wildwood spec’d ones usually have lower wind pups specifically for those models, goes for the Les Pauls too.

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've never found any real concrete differences from a run of the mill Historic model. They claim to use "True Historic plastics", which it's never been explicitly said whether the regular Historic SGs use, but I would think they do. Other than that, they claim they "hand-pick" the cuts of wood to use. Which is utterly meaningless IMO. I doubt the guys at CME or Wildwood have any special skill for picking woods that the guys at Gibson's Custom Shop don't already. And they're just picking from the wood blanks Gibson has already curated anyway.

6. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

CME folks will talk your ears off. in a good way. So will Wildwood, I bet. I'm sure they're both happy to go DEEEEP on the specs of that specific guitar series and why they're different etc.

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Wilwood '64 RI has a Vibrola, stopbar on the CME SG