Col. Mustard, I tried to search it but can't find it: your favorite SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG Champagne, Oct 21, 2016.

1. SG Champagne

SG Champagne Active Member

I tried to use the search feature to learn all about your favorite SG with the wood details. Did you ever tell us all about its details and I just missed the posts? I apologize if so.

Could you tell us about the details, please? Thanks.

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

hah... when I was a newbie here, with a brand new Gibson SG and so much
    enthusiasm, this forum had a place where we could post a whole album of pictures
    with commentary and everything. Lots of us did that, including me. that was
    about 2009 or so. I made a gallery here and called it "My SG Odyssey" and felt like
    it was an interesting story.

Then about three or four years ago, SOMEBODY decided to "upgrade" the software that runs this
    forum. So they just did it without warning, and BOOM... all of our photo albums were gone, all of
    the "reference" galleries were gone including info on all the Gibson SG models from 1961 to the
    present. Whoosh, disappearo. Some of us here are still pissed about that. The ETSG reference section
    was actually great, with lots of pictures and old Gibson ads and detailed info about many many obscure
    and cool SG variations. I will admit that the new forum works better and is much faster.

But here's a link to a gallery I made on Photobucket. I haven't upgraded this gallery for a number
    of years, but it gives a lot of what was here. Thanks for asking about it... it's been a labor of love
    for sure.
    http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/Col_Mustard745/My Gibson SG Odyssey/

My Luna was made in 2007, and I played her stock for a good
    long time before starting mod fever. She is a Gibson SG faded special, with the finish designed to look
    like an old one that had been well loved and faded slowly to this lustrous brown. But not "roadworn"
    or intentionally distressed, or artificially dented. I believe Gibson nailed it with this finish, because old
    ones really do look sort of like this. Gibson sold these by the train car load from early oughts up to about
    2012, and then pulled the plug for some reason. *shrugs

Before I bougnt my first SG, I lurked here for many months. I learned a lot from this forum about
    SGs of various stripes, and pickups, and wiring and bridges and nut function and tuners and
    everything. I had been a player for years, playing acoustic and Fender bass and not suffering from G.A.S. at all.
    When I got near to my 60th birthday, I began to feel radical... and decided that I had earned a giftie that
    no one but me would buy for me. An electric guitar... an extra cool one that didn't cost thousands...

So that was the start of my SG Odyssey, and the beginning of a guitar adventure that continues to
    this day. I own five electric guitars now, three acoustics and three basses (including a Warmoth fretless J-bass
    I built myself). So I have enough guitars, more than enough and I feel very blessed. There are some other galleries
    on that photobucket site, although after the galleries I made here were deleted, I got a little discouraged and
    only post few pictures at a time here.
    Four Electrics@100.jpg
    body 1_5x@100.jpg
    Body Upper Bout@100.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    58pit, ivan H, SG Champagne and 2 others like this.
  3. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Col I know you have done it many times before but please humor me.
    What is the link to the truss rod cover guy again?

4. Col Mustard

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Nope!

6. Col Mustard

Some of us here are still pissed about that.

7. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

It happened like 2 months after I joined. I remember wandering through all the cool stuff that then suddenly disappeared with no warning. :(

8. SG Champagne

I can't seem to raise any topics for conversation without causing controversy !!!

I am a Jinx. Don't let me touch your guitar, I'll probably break the headstock.

:rofl:

syscokid and ScottMarlowe like this.
  9. Col Mustard

there isn't any controversy... there's nothing to argue about.
    It's like walking through an empty fairground.
    barrington-fair-grounds@100.jpg
    Someone opens the barn door, and the horses all go walkabout...
    and no one explains it and the sun comes up the next day and
    someone reports an NGD, and someone asks what their 1971 SG ll
    is worth, and the wind still blows and the stream still flows...
    and the next day Gibson announces new breakthroughs in robot technology
    that will make all former models obsolete, and the controversy over that
    gets our attention.

New members join and ask our wise and hoary opinions about new issues
    and life goes on. Those of us who miss having our archives and our reference
    section handy are encouraged to admire mustangs. or pound sand.
    Or look stuff up online, which is easy enough.
    So we get by without.

That's the way it works during a coup d'etat also... the radicals take over the power
    station and the telephone apparatus and the tv stations at the same time they
    liquidate the elected government. They keep the power on and the busses running and
    the phones working and put new talking heads on tv to assure the public that
    everything is going to be fine... and bob's yer uncle.

Those of us who remember the old system fondly are accused of blocking progress.
    But then the sun comes up again and the birds sing and the wind blows and we
    get distracted by new problems or pleasures. Oh yeah, what were we talking about
    last night?

Oh yeah... my favorite SG
    Luna & Vox@100.jpg

WavMixer, syscokid and SG Champagne like this.
  10. SG Champagne

RIGHT ON, Col Mustard!

Col Mustard likes this.
  11. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Col Mustard likes this.
  12. Col Mustard

yes... that's the guy. He's done fine TRCs for me. They look especially good on a
    plain jane SG like my two SG specials. If a guitar has already got lots of inlays and
    decorations, one of these cool truss rod covers would be like gilding a lily.
    It wouldn't show. But when the guitar's plain and workman like, the TRC draws
    the eye, and then rewards the glance.

Thanks for asking about my Luna... I fell so hard for this instrument that nothing was too good
    or expensive for me to deny her. Like an old dinosaur falling for a nymphette, I had to keep
    buying her stuff. And she rewards me with tremendous performance. Almost every time I put
    her down after playing for a while, it's with the spoken or unspoken comment, "What a great guitar."

I've been bitten badly by this, can you tell? I have her pretty much the way I want her right now...
    so I'm not modding her any more. The only other mod I'd consider would be a black tone pros bridge,
    but what's on there is a chrome plated one. So I don't really need that, and they're expensive.
    When I bought my Tone Pros bridge for Luna, I don't think they made a black one. I would have bought it
    if they did. Ah well... that's a very unnecessary change, totally aesthetic. The TonePros bridge I have
    right now works fine.
    Fig 08 tonepros bridge&tail.jpg
    The pickguard is made out of a piece of Walnut given to me by a cabinet making guy.
    The wood had a burl in it and he probably couldn't use it for that reason. But I could.
    There was enough there to make this SG batwing and one for a Fretless J-Bass I was
    building, and leftover pieces enough to make control cavity covers for both instruments as well.

The wood was about 1/4" thick (6mm) and I used a belt sander to take it down to what you
    see, closer to 1/8." I beveled the edges with hand files and a dremel tool. The edges inside
    the pickup holes were not as lovely as I would wish, so I elected to cover them with pickup
    rings. *grins The dremel taketh away, but cain't put wood back...

SG Champagne likes this.
  13. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Ha... I just ordered a TRC from him, for my Taylor GS Mini.

Col Mustard likes this.
  14. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

Had to put my 2 cents in... sg1.jpg

15. Cameron Huthert

Cameron Huthert Member

Where did you get your pickguard?

16. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

17. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

Thanks 58pit!! It sounds and plays beautiful too! Cameron,I had the pickguard made by Terripin Guitars.

Col Mustard and Cameron Huthert like this.
  18. Col Mustard

that's a lovely SG... so you modded it down to bridge p'up only and covered the
    holes for the other controls, and got a new pickguard for the new configuration.
    VERY interesting mod.

Tell us what pickup you chose, and whether that was a faded special
    when stock.

19. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

thanks Col, yours is a beauty too! They are like distant cousins or something,:cheers:Yes,it's a '09 faded that was originally one of the "worn black" ones they made for GC . I put a Rio Grande BBQ pickup.

20. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

First I painted it bronze 20160226_125756.jpg

SG Champagne likes this.