Color Suggestions...?

skelt101

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Lately I've been inspired by the likes of SG Lou with his scratch builds, and Jimmy Rocket's Pelham Blue to start my own project. I'm considering putting together a Precision Guitar Kits SG together in the near future. As this would be my first go around putting together a guitar, I think the Wudtone Finishes might be a good way to go. They seem to be relatively easy to work with. Does anyone have experience with them? So far, my front-runners for colors are Dark Tease and Cherry Flamenco. I'd like to have a warmer color to contrast with the chrome hardware. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks! :cheers:

Jimmy Rocket

Reaction score
I was really seriously considering the Wudtone finishes because they look great and seem easy to apply. Definitely a warm "faded" sort of vibe. I'd probably go with that cherry flamenco. :wow:

Nitro's not hard to work with, but you need space and time. That SG wasn't my first rodeo.

Whatever you choose, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Those Precision Guitar kits are top notch!

SG John

Reaction score
I've had a lot of success with Ohio Valley Nitro, ReRanch, and Stew Mac products. All of my finishes thus far have been with rattle cans. I really Like Ohio Valley's Pelham Blue. I'm sure any nitro rattle can will produce similar results. Just be sure to put the time into pore filling and sealing the mahogany before shooting the nitro. It'll be the difference of looking like a sheet of glass, and a Gibson "faded" finish.

skelt101

Reaction score
I was really seriously considering the Wudtone finishes because they look great and seem easy to apply. Definitely a warm "faded" sort of vibe. I'd probably go with that cherry flamenco. :wow:

Nitro's not hard to work with, but you need space and time. That SG wasn't my first rodeo.

Whatever you choose, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Those Precision Guitar kits are top notch!

Jimmy,
Thanks for the vote! Cherry Flamenco was actually my initial choice. Perhaps I should just stick with my gut feeling... I'm a little hesitant to go with a nitro finish. It probably isn't that hard to apply. But like you said, you need space and time. I lack the space, and would worry about floating particles in the air sticking to the finish, not to mention overspray and any hazardous fumes. Supposedly the Wudtone is a little more "eco-friendly". I'm looking forward to starting this project! Unfortunately, it may be a little slow going, as I have to build up the funds. However, I do have some of the materials on my Christmas List! :cheers:

Tezuka27

Reaction score
Skelt - I'd recommend getting a piece of Mahogany and trying out a number of color and finish options that appeal to you before doing anything to the guitar.

john

skelt101

Reaction score
Skelt - I'd recommend getting a piece of Mahogany and trying out a number of color and finish options that appeal to you before doing anything to the guitar.

john

Words of wisdom John! Although I am heavily leaning towards the Cherry Flamenco finish from Wudtone, this is very good advice. I wonder if they, i.e. Wudtone, offer sample sizes... :cheers:

Latest posts