Coming back to the fold... 2016 '61 Reissue - Heritage Cherry

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by GibsonKramer, Jan 22, 2017.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Its been several months, since I got rid of my 2014 SG - '61 RI and 2013 SGJ.

The neck dive on the SGJ just got tiresome. And I couldn't ever bond with the '61.

A couple months ago, our local store brought in one of the Angus Young SGs. I played it, and this was the SG, I had been looking for. Amazing sounding, playing... and feel. But, at $2200 used, a bit more than I wanted to spend. I just bought a Black Beauty and am sitting at 10 Les Pauls. It better be REAL special.

I figured I'd wait it out. See if it sat long enough, for me to deal. I've got some incredible deals this way. Its how I got both my 2013 Premium Plus and 1990 Standard, for well under $2000.

Today I came in, and they had a used 2016 SG - '61 Reissue. Told them I wasn't really interested, but one of the guys insisted I at least try it. I was blown away. I've never held, played, heard a SG that sounded that nice. It was the first time, I had 2 of them keep coming over to me, asking to play it. In my opinion, it was nicer than the Angus.

I don't know all the differences between this and the 2014, '61 RI... but they are completely different playing/sounding guitars. I noticed one difference, was the ABR bridge. The headstock looks bigger to me, as well... but I'm not sure.

Can't wait to get this one home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only scars it has, are pick scratches on the PG. Case looks brand new. Has all the case candy. Might as well be brand new. I'm going to do a straight across swap for my Premium Plus (which I do not like).

More pics, when I get it.

I'd like to know what the big differences are between this and the 2014 model, other than the bridge? They are vastly different guitars, however.

John61, Gibsg, bwotw and 2 others like this.
  2. Notes69

Notes69 Active Member

That looks like a very nice SG. Congrats.
    Love that hardware. Looks like nickel.
    Sweet Gibson man

GibsonKramer likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I used to have a 2010 SG - '61 RI (small pick guard)
    When I see small pick guard on SG, I automatically think '61 RI and thin neck.

If you look up the recent SG models at Gibson site...

2014 - '61 RI - none listed (Standard has large pick guard)
    2015 - '61 RI - none listed (Standard has small pick guard)
    2016 - '61 RI - none listed (Standard has large pick guard)
    2017 - '61 RI - none listed (Standard has small pick guard)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  4. GibsonKramer

I noticed that, when I bought my 2014 - '61 RI

It had a Nashville bridge, smaller headstock. Also, had the push/pull knobs.

The new 2016, has a ABR screwed directly into the wood (unlike the new 2017 ABR-1 bridges which are wired, and have metal inserts). No coil-tap. The difference between my 2014 and the new 2016, are night and day. The 2014 was a GC exclusive. The 2016 appears to be a "Limited," and sold through multiple dealers.

I haven't any idea if that GC edition I owned, was completely separate, from the regular '61 RI.

ChaseB likes this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Now that you mention the 2014 model being a GC Exclusive that explains the difference.
    Many of those GC Exclusive models are not listed on the Gibson site.
    They make a special run and ship a few to each store location to test the market.
    Sometimes you find some great limited edition guitars that way.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  6. GibsonKramer

The more I think about it... I'm going to have to give that Angus model a long hard look. I remember, really liking it. And I also remember, I specifically stopped playing it, because I liked it so much and I didn't want to buy it in December.

That RI is so damn nice, though.

bwotw likes this.
  7. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

Very nice SG, :cheers:

This is a 2016 '61 RI Proprietary Limited Edition, have fun with it !

GibsonKramer likes this.
  8. GibsonKramer

HOLD THE PHONE!

I'm bringing home something different. Used my bargaining chip.

This is going to kick ass.

9. GibsonKramer

And it's done. The Standard Premium Plus, is gone.

Good riddance. Freaking highly overrated, overpriced guitars. I won't ever buy another modern Standard. Bleh!

I'll post a NGD and some thoughts, later. I still might buy that '16 RI, if it lasts. I spent 2 hours doing A/ B, today with the two... This win out

The neck, and the pickup, won me over. Fastest neck on a Gibson, I've ever come across...

[​IMG]

JCarno and bwotw like this.
  10. lcw

lcw Active Member

Isn't the 2016 '61 RI a Custom Shop model? If so, explains why it was so much nicer than an 'regular' '61 RI. Also would explain the use of the ABR-1.

11. GibsonKramer

I thought so too.

But, it's not. Comes with a standard Gibson USA CoA. No Custom Shop markings. I was floored by the ABR, as the newer Gibsons, are using metal inserts, for their current ABR, which is also wired. The ABR on the SG isn't wired.

So far, it just seems like another "limited run," of a modified production model. I don't know if it's limited numbers, or limited to certain retailers. It's definitely not a GC exclusive.

Like my '16 Trad, the quality control, and build, are superb.

lcw likes this.
  12. joy-z

joy-z Member

Your 2014 "61" SG from GC was just a 2014 Standard without the 120th anniversary inlay or e-tune, plus it had push-pull coil split. It was not a true '61 reissue.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  13. GibsonKramer

Yep, and I was not very fond of it. I actually liked the SGJ more.

[​IMG]