Comparison: For all that have played 61 RI vs. Modern std

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jigman, Mar 19, 2005.

1. jigman

jigman Member

Played yet another 61 couple days ago- You know, when they are not side by side I can't even detect the width difference. The only thing I can detect however is more visual and tactile. The 61's rosewood almost seems to raise upward in a reverse concave from the binding. Whereas, the modern STD's rosewood is flat-or flush with the binding. I guess all in all I have to agree with some that it would follow logically that the 61 neck might be faster after all. Though the STD is also fast I think the 61 has got it by a bit in speed cuz of its raised fingerboard profile. Am I off base here or is this what you all have found too. Cuz if it is....I can feel another case of serious GAS coming on......Pleeeze tell me I'm full of ^$&#$^$! I have been jonesin and daydreamin bout that 61 since last wednesday. Even thinking how I might trade in my STD with a few $$ and pick it up without anybody round here really noticin and stuff....Heeellllp me! I'm wrong right? And dont even think of tellin me I should have both! It aint gonna happen without divorce.

2. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do jig!!! :D

3. MainFrame185

MainFrame185 Member

Keep the other guitar at work... If you get caught, tell her you bought it before you were married...

4. paradox

paradox Active Member

jigman, I currently have both the 61RI and a newer STD. They are both great axes. I really like the fb on the 61RI and its 57 pickups, however the neck of the STD has the thicker profile and what seems to me, a more stable neck joint. Its really easy on the 61RI to push/pull on the neck and cause the pitch to change (this may be desirable of course)...

I guess my point is your'e gonna have thinks you like and dislike about each model, so before you ditch the STD make sure the 61's got more going for you that the STD..
    Of course you could take mainframes suggestion and hide on at work!!!!

5. Bogart

Bogart Member

I have the RI and a 04 std. I prefer the RI for speed, playability, and comfort, and tone.

Though I still love my standard, if I had to pick one, it'd be the RI, most definitely.

6. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

I'm with Mainframe on this one... and once you've set the precedant, there's no stopping you thereafter!

:wink: :wink:

7. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

i like the '61 ri neck a little better but thats just me