Conclusion

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Burkie, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Burkie

Burkie New Member

After a few months of playing an Epi SG Special I conclude that it isn't a very good guitar. I was thinking about taking it to a shop but I think the big problem is with a loose neck. I did want to lower the action but adjusting the truss rod may make it worse.

It plays OK but I'm a large strong guy and the neck bends when I play. I don't think that it is something I can get used to so It's for sale ! :D

2. Mville

Mville New Member

I feel your pain. A week ago I purchased an Epi 310. It has a bolt-on neck and as I played it, the neck would physically move where it joined the body of the guitar. My Tele (bolt-on) does not do this. I returned it the next day without thinking twice about adjusting it. Now I anxiously await my G-400 to arrive on my doorstep.

3. Rendus

Rendus Member

I've been there too...played an SG Special for a month or so and then traded it in on a G400.

Welcome to the club! ;)

4. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

that sucks. time for a Gibson maybe?

5. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Hey guys,
    If it makes you feel any better, the '61 RI I bought last year will flex at the neck joint if you accidentally pull back on it while tuning or playing. It's enough to affect the tuning. My ES - 335 will do it as well, just not as noticeable.

A weak neck joint was NOT what I expected when I bought them and paid $$$.
    I understand it's just the nature of the beast, but it did surprise me.

A loose neck joint, however, there's just no excuse.

Neo

6. nsk56

nsk56 Member

I wonder how mine will last.. the neck joint is not loose on mine, must've gotten lucky.. Intonation is sometimes wacky though.

Next guitar hopefully will be a Gibson or a Fender strat..just dont know when.

7. Burkie

Burkie New Member

Don't get me wrong! I wasn't expecting much out of the guitar as it only cost $225 US with the 10w amp,gig bag, accy's. and shipping.I just wanted something to play while teaching my Son how to play. I've always liked the old epis and naturally the Gibbys but don't play enough to warrant a $800 guitar.You get what you pay for !