conversion

Delboy

Reaction score
Very nice job on the paint work, I guess it was the three pick up special?

dbb

Reaction score
Other than the lack of neck binding and headstock inlay, you could have fooled me - nice work.

Stevil

Reaction score
That's just :wow:! I can say no more, well beautiful comes to mind too! :applause:

Heket

Reaction score
Very smart indeed, I wish I had your skills. I think the Special neck look mixed with the Custom body look works very well. Sort of like a Special's cooler, darker older cousin.

smolder

Reaction score
Thanks guys... it's taken most of the summer. It did start as a 2007-8 three pickup batwing faded special. Here is the drawing showing the changes to the wood work:

And the wood work itself:

The painting was difficult, my first paint project. The forum at reranch.com was very helpful, but I still spent a fortune in paint and ended up sanding it back down to primer twice. Still not totally happy with the pelham blue flake, but it will work... the clear coast went fine. A buffing pad kit from stew mac along with a lot of patience made the polishing process work well...

The controls are a 6/2 rotary which gives the same combinations of a strat, but also a neck/bridge configuration. The switch is splits the mid pickup for a single coil tone.

I do wish it had the bound neck... but it feels and plays great. I'm going to replace the pickup and guard screw with black... it's a tad too blingy for me... but love the blue with the black plastic.

In the next week I'll do a fret level and dressing... and then it will be complete.

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
Nice work.

I agree about the screws, something I've never liked on the
3 pup customs, too many screws, and black will make a difference.

sneakerpimp

Reaction score
looks nice.

the pickguard screws still look huge, are they countersunk?

it's ok to leave the adjustment screws chrome imo.

Latest posts