Could use some help identifying this weird SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Delisawce, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Delisawce

Delisawce New Member

I recently purchased a unique Gibson SG project and restored it. No parts, just the body and neck. What struck me was that it had an ebony fretboard with no inlays, but the finger board was bound and it had the mother of pearl inlays on the head stock like a standard. I know it's legit, it has the Gibson trussrod nut and the body routes match a 2007 SG exactly. I emailed Gibson with the serial number, but all they could tell me was that it was an SG Standard from 2007. I know they did guitars of the week back in 07. Was thinking this could be one of them, but I could never find a full list of every guitar of the week made that year. Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks! I'd post a link to the Reverb listing, but the spam filter isnt letting it through.

2. Delisawce

Delisawce New Member

Some pics from before I restored it. d37eahsyjjsjjkpfbtih.jpg pat34uouamey1kp4wbly.jpg txktwql1tsauzollajsa.jpg

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Looks like Rosewood to me. And in the least, the frets are not original because the nibs are gone. I would guess the fretboard was replaced for some reason.

Dave and cerebral gasket like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

Thinking the same thing.
    Rosewood, not ebony.
    No nibs = re-fret

Garden variety 2007 SG Standard that someone decided to replace the board, binding and frets.

They didn’t use white binding on 2007 SG Standards. They used the pink color during that era.

SG Classics were produced during that same era but got white binding for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Norton likes this.
  6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

7. cerebral gasket

8. Delisawce

Delisawce New Member

Thanks for your input everyone. It seems this SG has had a mysterious past. Wonder why whoever owned it previously would decide to do something as drastic as replace the fretboard. Either way, it's a very nice looking fretboard. It's so dark I just assumed it was ebony I guess, it's basically black. I ended up stripping it and finishing it in Tru-oil. Here's a pic of the finished restored guitar. The result is a one of a kind SG I'm quite pleased with. Lots of high end on this one, I end up having to roll the tone off almost half way. Plays great, although the neck angle is pretty shallow. Definitely not ideal but still works fine. [​IMG]

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

That's ebony. It looks like that when you get it and if the person didn't sand it or stain it it'll have streaks like that. I'm assuming someone switched out the original fretboard. Anyhow, looks great without the inlays which come to think of it it's possible the fretboardswitcher just didn't know how to do.

Delisawce likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

Now it looks like ebony with it all cleaned up. Original photos up close looked like Rosewood with all the streaks.

pancake81 and Delisawce like this.
  11. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

i agree, thought the exact same thing

cerebral gasket likes this.
  12. fishlog

fishlog New Member

Curious about that fret board now... I have an SG with a VERY dark black fret board. Specs all say rosewood but there are no grains or anything to be seen.

Would they actually make that kind of mistake at the factory?

13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Obviously can't say with certainty, but it seems very unlikely you'd get the wrong material for a fret board, especially if the SG in question was made during the years that Gibson were struggling to get ebony. Plus, ebony does have a grain visible - unlike Richlite... :) What year/model of SG is it?

If it's not Rosewood, most likely explanation would seem to be the specs are wrong - that certainly does happen at Gibson, on dealer's web sites, etc.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  14. fishlog

fishlog New Member

2019 SG special. One of the Pelham blue ones. After bringing it up from the dungeon I play in I do see some weeks grain to it.

15. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars New Member

Looks like ebony.