Country Living

DCCable

Reaction score
you get trained what to look for when it comes to critters and night driving

I've seen a deer cover between 30 and 50 yards in what looked like 2 to 3 bounds in a second at night in a corn field beside the road as I was approaching. Deer can be unbelievably quick when they want to be.

belleswell

Reaction score
Biblical sunsets here in les Îles de la Madeleine. This is just tonight.

Wow DrBGood,
Absolutely awesome shots of nature at her finest. Beautiful pics. The 3rd one down is surreal. Nothing puts things
in perspective as to how puny we are, then watching the sky when weather fronts come in. Thanks for sharing these.

Awesome sunrise photos DCCable. What kind of camera are you guys using?

Mine is a cheaper Canon Powershot SX 130 IS. A little over 100 US, but
I've been wanting to get a digital Nikon body that would be compatible with my
old Nikkor lenses I have from my old Nikon FM ( film) camera. Both yours and
DrBGood pic quality is topnotch.Much nicer than what I have.
Cheers, Jeff

I've have some more to add to the continuing "outdoor channel" right outside my window.

The wood ducks had two nests we were aware of but only one brood of 5 ducklings from them.
Possibly a coyote raided the nests of the others. The first day we saw the female wood duck and
her ducklings was June 2nd, and they have grown very fast in the last 25 days. When she showed up
with her ducklings she had with her a hooded merganser which are fish eating fools, and for as much as
I've spent on stocking, feed, and pond maintenance, I did not like seeing this guy. I thought I may have to
walk the perimeter of the pond and clap my hands to scare him off, but he only showed up for a couple of days.
We've not seen him since. Good riddance.

Wood ducks on approach

Wood ducks doing a drive by. I like the small duckling looking at the squirrel. I
wonder what he's saying.

Wood ducks three weeks after we first saw them. They grow fast.

Eating all of the bird seed is hard work. Sometimes a squirrel has to lay down
for a food coma nap.

Iguana imitation

Prairie Dog imitation

Squirrel / Turkey

Turkey / Grackle

Turkey / Deer

One very good dog. River has learned that if she barks or paws at the glass while watching
the "outdoor channel" that the shows over. Here she is being a very good dog. Our 2 males
could not do what she does while watching. Corgis have a strong herding instinct and I know that
our two males would be barking their heads off.

Rocky stopped by the pond the other day.

Feeding the hybrid gills who are also growing fast.

One of the remnant hybrid male bluegills had been maintaining this bed hoping to entice a female.
He's 10 or 11 inches long, but always swam off when I approached. It's nice to see some of the big ones
are still in the pond even though, until I restocked it this spring, the last time it was stocked was 7 years
ago.

The garden has been in since the 3rd week of May and is doing great. This pic is right after we finished planting.
Some of the sweet corn is now almost knee high.

Last edited:

DCCable

Reaction score
OMG! I really like the clouds in the second photo, that's neat! I like the first one of the double rainbow also. Sunrise and sunset has such good light.

DrBGood

Reaction score
This is an incredibly cool and complex photo. I love it. Thanks for taking the time to post. Would you object to my use of it as a screen saver?
Thanks. You can use it no problem. You want it full res ?

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Shame I have dual monitors at work, that would have made a great wallpaper split across them - more panoramic shots next time please Jean :naughty:... Actually, how big is full res?

Lovely image By the way .... :thumb:

DrBGood

Reaction score
Shame I have dual monitors at work, that would have made a great wallpaper split across them - more panoramic shots next time please Jean :naughty:... Actually, how big is full res?

Lovely image By the way .... :thumb:
3872 X 2592 for the one above

How 'bout this ? It's a photomerge, so there are some darker patches along the way I didn't try to correct.

170703 Oumph.jpg

Dickey001

Reaction score
I love living in the country, mainly because I CANNOT stand neighbors!

Latest posts